• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Civilization Unique Building Elimination Thread

Bazaar : 22
Floating Gardens: 12
Paper Maker: 18 -2
Wat:13
Mud Pyramid Mosque: 7 +1

Bazaar : 21
Floating Gardens: 12
Paper Maker: 18
Wat:12
Mud Pyramid Mosque: 7

Bazaar is single handedly the strongest unique ANYTHING in the game. Nothing consistently nets you so much usefulness, and it fits into practically any strategy. The others on this list can't compare in the slightest, although they are all decent; of them the worst is probably the Wat, just because some random trivial culture isn't that significant of a change.

Bazaar : 19 -2
Floating Gardens: 13 +1
Wat:12

Bazaar: some more resources to sell, if the city has a luxury in its radius and if the market for that resource isn't already saturated (or unfriendly), which it often/usually is.

Floating Gardens: Watermill+(often much better than an) Aqueduct+(when you don't want to grow any more) 1 food/4 pop. Oh, and a Lakes bonus, if anyone actually cares (no one does).

Bazaar : 21
Floating Gardens: 11
Wat:10

Bazaar is single handedly the strongest unique ANYTHING in the game. Nothing consistently nets you so much usefulness, and it fits into practically any strategy. The others on this list can't compare in the slightest, although they are all decent; of them the worst is probably the Wat, just because some random trivial culture isn't that significant of a change.

Best thing for me about Wat is that it doesn't require a library.

Floating Gardens: 9
Wat:11
Mud Pyramid Mosque: 5
The best thing about the wat is that you can get four of them for free.

Bazaar : 20 (-2)
Floating Gardens: 10 (+1)

Floating Gardens: 9
The best thing about the wat is that you can get four of them for free.

First post on this thread just because of Hasire's observation here.

Not only do Mud Pyramid Mosque's benefit from the Legalism "four-for-free" thing, you get them a whole era earlier, they're arguably proportionally more powerful, and they're free (no upkeep). Your first four cities expand like amoebas onto those nearby hexes, and they add a huge amount of Culture at a time when Culture points are hard to get.

They're also retro-active and unblocked, ie, settle your third city, "plink", there's a Mud Pyramid Mosque giving you +5 culture and immediately even though you haven't built a Monument yet. Many, many turns before Siam even sniffs Wats. Clearly a better building.

Bazaar : 20
Floating Gardens: 10
Wat:9
Mud Pyramid Mosque: 6

First post on this thread just because of Hasire's observation here.

Not only do Mud Pyramid Mosque's benefit from the Legalism "four-for-free" thing, you get them a whole era earlier, they're arguably proportionally more powerful, and they're free (no upkeep). Your first four cities expand like amoebas onto those nearby hexes, and they add a huge amount of Culture at a time when Culture points are hard to get.

They're also retro-active and unblocked, ie, settle your third city, "plink", there's a Mud Pyramid Mosque giving you +5 culture and immediately even though you haven't built a Monument yet. Many, many turns before Siam even sniffs Wats. Clearly a better building.

Wat:9

I rarely build temples. In most of my game, they are not worth the upkeep. If I am not going for a cultural victory, I would rather invest the hammers and upkeep into unit. However, in all of my game I have built a university. If find it hard to do with the 50% increase, the frequent GS, or free tech via Oxford. Even in ICS I have found room to make a university. A free university is much better than a free temple, even if the MPM is proportionally better that the Wat.

I rarely build temples. In most of my game, they are not worth the upkeep. If I am not going for a cultural victory, I would rather invest the hammers and upkeep into unit. However, in all of my game I have built a university. If find it hard to do with the 50% increase, the frequent GS, or free tech via Oxford. Even in ICS I have found room to make a university. A free university is much better than a free temple, even if the MPM is proportionally better that the Wat.

Culture (policies) improve civilization efficiency regardless of whether you're going for a Culture victory or not. MPM's also aren't temples - they give FIVE culture, not three, and again, they don't require the Monument, so they'll pop from Legalism instantly.

And I'm on the other side of your play style - I find that universities are expensive to upkeep (remember, Mud Pyramid Mosque's have no upkeep) and that there are other more effective ways to get science, ie, scholasticism and research agreements.

I'll often build no Universities and no Barracks if I'm on a City-State path.

But the main thing is I'll have Mud Pyramid Mosque's on initial expansion, they're enabled very early, triggering off a tech (Philosophy) that you're beelining to anyway to get Research Agreements.

Culture (policies) improve civilization efficiency regardless of whether you're going for a Culture victory or not. MPM's also aren't temples - they give FIVE culture, not three, and again, they don't require the Monument, so they'll pop from Legalism instantly.

And I'm on the other side of your play style - I find that universities are expensive to upkeep (remember, Mud Pyramid Mosque's have no upkeep) and that there are other more effective ways to get science, ie, scholasticism and research agreements.

I'll often build no Universities and no Barracks if I'm on a City-State path.

But the main thing is I'll have Mud Pyramid Mosque's on initial expansion, they're enabled very early, triggering off a tech (Philosophy) that you're beelining to anyway to get Research Agreements.

I realize that MPMs are better than temples. I was merely comparing the base buildings. The easiest way to win is conquest. If you want to win diplomatic, the easiest way to win is through conquest and getting rich. Space, more money for RAs, and more domestic science once everyone hates you. Culture, an empire of puppets. Particularly when I am at war and building my empire, I need domestic science to keep up with the immortal AI. Scholarship helps, but I generally cannot out bid the AI for city states, particularly if Alexander is there. RAs are OK if you are playing peacefully, but playing peacefully is suboptimal IMO. The MPM is worth building, but free universities are better.

Paper Maker: 16

how is paper maker in second place? =0

Bazaar: 19
Floating Gardens: 11
Paper Maker: 14

I'm just voting against the bazaar because I can't decide whether Paper Maker is better than floating gardens, or wat better than MPM. Do wats still have an extra GS spot?

I remember some patch that wanted to nerf ICS by reducing the availability of GS in early game, and the discussion that followed, and vaguely recall some posts about the OPness of Siam because their wats retained two GS spots, while universities only had one now.
So I guess I don't recall correctly, universities still have two spots.

prior to 215? wats had two slots and universities one. now both have two again.

getting wats via legalism is amazing. invest 160 hammers into monument + temple to get a 200 hammer building, 3 culture, and maybe +60% or +70% science depending on how many slots you fill, times four. yes please.

i still don't get paper maker. it's only 3 gpt per city.

Top Bottom