1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization V Announced!

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by Thunderfall, Feb 18, 2010.

1. @nthony

@nthony Chieftain

Wow that looks awesome. Looks like I've got the perfect excuse to upgrade my graphics card and memory now. I'm sure it probably won't run on my 5 year old PC :(

2. Whaleyland

Whaleyland Chieftain

I love the image of the Hagia Sophia too; however, I don't think it is from the wonder video. I think it may be from the introductory video. The reason I guess that is because the Hagia Sophia is in a rather distant profile rather than up close. I'd assume that the wonder video for it would be much closer and more the subject rather than in the background. Anyone else agree?

Other than that, though, this version of Civilization looks awesome. I've played since Civ II Gold Multiplayer (for Mac!) and purchased every game and expansion for PC and Mac. Still haven't played CivRev but I am also eagerly waiting for CivNet since, unlike apparently many of you, I have a Facebook account and enjoy using it. Regardless, using hexes reminds me so much of Panzer General and Settlers of Catan (my site: www.worldofcatan.com) that I simply can't wait. I seriously doubt I'll be able to play this when it releases, though, since my 2GH Core 2 Duo MacBook only has a shared 64MB graphics card and 3GB Ram (although it does have WinXP installed on dual boot). Definitely not gaming quality; it struggles even on high graphics mode in Civ IV BTS.

3. Bluetooth

Bluetooth King

Looks and sounds great. :D Fortunately I bought a new computer last year.

4. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

This is the best news I've had in a week! This is just awesome.

Autumn of 2010, eh? That should mean at least half a year later than expected then. Sometime summer-autumn 2011, I should think.

Excellent news. This made my day!

5. idle

idle Warlord

What? No elevation like in SMAC?

Other than that; oboyoboyoboyoboyoboyoboy!

Using hexes is a great move IMO.

6. Leifmk

Leifmk Deity

Ah well, I'm probably going to have to replace my old laptop some time this year anyway... here's to another decade's worth of missed sleep. (Been a Civ-head since 1991.)

7. kivanc

kivanc King

:woohoo:
    at -the very- last!
    as each new versions of SMciv is in markets, i feel a little elder :old: (i'm just exaggurating, i'm 31)
    but still have the same taste when i had it during civ1 :rockon: i forget about the time :sniper:

it seems I will have more quarrels with my wife after fall 2010! :gripe:
    about my playing civ every night :goodjob:

8. Ranbir

Ranbir Civ junkie

On the matter of AI:

There are only so many factors that can influence an AI's decision and there are only so many decisions it can actually make. Just because it does something unpredictable (from what we see as common sense) doesn't necessarily make it bad. AI will always lack the ability to make leaps of logical deduction. In that regard, I don't have too much worry if it gets help to be a challenge.

ETW thought to overly complicate AI decision making and the outcome was it would cripple itself with indecision more often than making a clear, decisive objective to act on.

It's a tricky thing, I feel. On one hand, we want it to do the predictable actions that we see as obvious(to us) to do, but then that predictability kills any long term challenge. On the flip, when it manages to do something unpredictable and something one never foresaw it do, it can sometimes be mistaken that the AI is bad; for doing something unpredictable. Of course, it might also depend on what that unpredictable behaviour was!

9. MutieMoe

MutieMoe Chieftain

Hexes, I have been waiting them since I started playing the civ series.

10. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

Hoorrayyyy!!!!!!

11. Neomega

Neomega Deity

I love that they will be speaking in their native tongues. The amount of time I spend playing civ.... if it were always using native tongues, I would have been multilingual by now. In fact, I think integrating multiple languages into games is one of the best things that can happen to the gaming community and the world. They missed the chance with the Sims.... I'll never understand why they chose gibbeish, when if they had simply made it possible for people to buy language packs, the Sims could have possibly tripled its sales.

I don't like the way the cultural borders look currently. A tiny change I would like to see, is on the minimap, only color in land areas with the political color, not land and sea, that way, it will still look like a real world map, and not an map with huge blobs of color all over it.

From what I can see, it appears the combat system will be based on how big your army is: notice some archer groups are larger than others. I would not be surprised if with some advanced techs or something like great commanders, you will be able to mix up your armies... but overall, it looks like the stack of doom strategy may be impossible... ie.. only one unit per tile.

To the people hoping for an awesome AI out of the box... Not gonna happen. When a game is designed, it is really too difficult to know how to play it well, even by the designers, to know how to design a good AI. Until we have actual real artificial consciousness, that is just the way it is going to be. I mean, the more complex a game gets, (and Civilization is the most complex) the more impossible it is to build a good AI from the start.

12. Aquatic

Aquatic Child of Surprises

Great news indeed. Each version of civ, up to BtS, has brought something new - culture, religion, corporations (for instance) - so it'll be interesting to find out what's new here.

I really like the possibility to trade for land; it's not only realistic but should improve gameplay. Improving diplomacy in general is a great way to do. And I'm pleased to see that ranged bombardment is back, in what seems to be an interesting form. I wonder whether we'll be able give ships a taste of land-based cannon again?

13. jameson

jameson Emperor

Awesome, awesome news.

Apart from the leaders that have been confirmed, I'm also curious about who the gorgeous lady is who is pictured on the left side on the Firaxis announcement page - here's hoping she's in the game too ! It also looks like advisors are back ( something like the CivII advisors would be great).

Finally, does anybody recognize the painting in the George Washington screenshot ? It looks like a Turner to me, but I could be way off. Just curious here.

14. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

In past few months I often wondered what was Firaxis doing, considering that after Civ4Col and CivRev nothing new was announced.

It's nice to know that team is alive and kicking and working new Civilization game! :D

15. phoinix

phoinix Warlord

Really great news! Only Half life 2 episode 3 to be announced and I'm in heaven

16. Algernon Pondlife

Algernon Pondlife Prince

If the pictures are to be believed it is interesting that javelins can fly across a full hex (lake?) while cities still cannot exploit a nearby coast line at no greater distance.

17. Ninja2

Ninja2 Great Engineer

GREAT news!!! :) :band:[party]:w00t:

18. Pitboss

Pitboss Prince

Hopefully it will improve the game quite a bit.

* allowing you to do the same actions the AI does
    (refusal to go to war, but a human player can't even select those options)
    * fixing the liberating cities option, and making them appear in a separate "to manage screen"
    * untangling the tech tree, so that you can evolve without discovering certain things
    * the ability to disable religions or to make your own, and let them evolve in political parties, since religion has more or less evolved into it
    * the ability to create your own civ, without having to add a mod

If any of those get incorporated it might be worth it. But the artwork seems to indicate it might go more towards a Total War approach, where you can play the battles yourself. Which is nice, but usually leaves you with little changes to the rest of the game.

Other then that, I'm curious to see what they cooked up this time.
    I wonder if they might do something with Alpha Centauri afterwards.

19. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Everything in Civ is drawn to different scales though: the terrain is not meant to be at the same scale as the cities, which are not meant to be at the same scale as the resources, which are not meant to be at the same scale as the units. In the end, I'll take strategy and fun over technical realism any day. So I see no problem with the Archers firing over the lake. ;)

20. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Um... yes you can. You just say "no" when they demand you go to war (albeit with a diplomatic penalty). Am I missing something here? :crazyeye:

Assuming they have the option of colonies in this game in the first place, of course... personally I never had much interest in them, I like controlling my land by myself and don't want to hand my hard work over to an AI. ;)

You can evolve without discovering certain things in Civ4. Regularly I'll go without the knowledge of Archery, Horseback Riding and Compass for a large portion of the game (just for a few examples). Other times I'll not research any religious technologies and have no temples or monasteries for thousands of years. Occasionally I'll not even research military techs (albeit usually in Always Peace games, since it's kind of suicide otherwise).

It sounds like religions may not be in Civ5. Then again, that was just from one source, and translated from Danish at that.

How do you mean? Unique bonuses, changing strength and movement, stuff like that I could see working in a user-friendly interface. If you're talking about doing all the leader and unit animations to go with it though, I don't think there's really any way to make that particularly "user friendly". Though it's cool to think about.