1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization V Announced!

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by Thunderfall, Feb 18, 2010.

1. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

They may notice, but would not be able to do anything.

For example, look at Gothic RPG series. Team that did first 3 parts changed publisher and made new game called Risen (since they lost rigths on new Gothic game). It's almost 100% copy of Gothic series, in all aspects, just with different backgruond story and name itself.

2. smackthewise

smackthewise Prince

Damn it, why didn't they tell us perhaps 1 week or something before release!!! Has anyone seen the 'Go God Go' Episode of South Park when Eric can't wait for the Wii to come out, so he tries to go into cryonic suspension by freezinng himself in Snow??? I Live in Australia! There isn't EVER any f***ing snow here!! :mad:

3. CanuckSoldier

CanuckSoldier Emperor

I would not blame firaxis for that, they did post accurate system requirements on the box then, but the problem was that players are not all computer geeks and didn't realize that there video card was not actually dx9 and shaders ver2 compliant. I seen players with Geforce2 MX cards getting pissed that they couldn't play when with a little googling they would have realized they were not even close to meeting the specs. People are their own worse enemies at times.

CS

4. bestbrian

bestbrian Just this guy, ya know?

Of course there's snow in Australia, just not in SUMMER. :lol:

5. DroopyTofu

DroopyTofu Double Bass Double Bass

The bad thing is that I'm now feeling mildly disappointed by those horrible Civ IV graphics...
    :sad:

6. zeeter

zeeter Emperor

I remember that we all had a huge debate over this. On the one side, people were saying that you can't just go out and buy an average Dell and expect it to run everything. That people needed to buy more customized computers.

In the end, it did seem odd that a software company would build a game that you needed specific hardware for that the country's largest computer seller did not include in most of its models. I had to buy a new video card, but then my computer was four years old at the time. Some people had just bought computers within the previous three months and couldn't come close to running it.

7. CanuckSoldier

CanuckSoldier Emperor

Yes but that was because the "new" computers that they bought were last years "year end sales models", yes they are fine for general computing at the time, but those systems all tended to use low end on board video or the cheap cards that were actually two years behind in technology. I don't think Firaixs asked for two much at the time. Yes I two had to buy a Radeon 9800 pro at the time so I could beta test the game and play it after release. But that was wasn't even the top of line card then.

The problem was really that TBS players in the past(Civ2 and Civ3) could play on some pretty sub standard hardware, and got used to that "standard" and were not even looking at the possibility that they would have to buy something more than a new but average to low end computer. While the opposite was true of the hardware culture in FPS, Small squad tactical games and MMO's, they were always used to having to buy better hardware.

Civers are just going to have to except that we are now in the same boat as the other game genres and that hardware excellerated 3D is going to be a part of our gaming lifes now as well.

CS

8. deanej

deanej Deity

It's actually very common for new computers to have sub-standard video. My current laptop is the only computer I have ever owned where this hasn't been the case (and that's because of a combination of trying to be relatively future-proof and luck).

9. akadyer

akadyer Chieftain

woot, civ 5 , I hope they release a version for android. A tablet with civ 5 would make my year. (even if its stripped down)

10. btsplayer

btsplayer Chieftain

Can't you add "worker unit" to that list? In this screenshot, I think the unit standing next to the right city is carrrying shovels, thus being a worker unit. Maybe I am wrong though.

11. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

Looks like I'm going to be buying a new computer this Autumn then...

12. cdcuase

cdcuase Warlord

Oh man! Two great games coming out this year, Starcraft 2 and Civ5!! I don't know which one I'm more anxious to get. Civ5 will probably still need tweaking for the first year or so when it comes out, but hell I'll still buy it to support Firaxis.

13. Algernon Pondlife

Algernon Pondlife Prince

This is okay for wargames, but how does it help in a game looking at a six thousand year sweep of intellectual, philosophical, technological, economic, etc. "history" of society?

By the time you set up an ambush 200 years will have passed. If supply needs to be factored in (and I doubt if it does) then it certainly would not require supply lines as it would be easy, and more appropriate to integrate it in combat resolution and unit strength decay for example.

There are plenty of wargames out there I play some. Why would we want to deprive ourselves of Civilization just to have another wargame?

14. Grathocke

Grathocke Marquis

I see from the artwork they still are putting minarets on the Hagia Sofia. OK, so they've been there for the past 550 years, but it wasn't built that way. I'm probably the only one who cares, but it bugs me every time I see it as it screams Islamic masjid. This building was the crowning architectural achievement of the Byzantine Empire and was, as all else was, absorbed by the Ottomans who called themselves the Rum Sultanate since they were the latest successors to the Roman Empire. Somebody please remove the minarets for Civ 5.

15. renohol

renohol Warlord

finally, a reason to live, now how did Eric Cartman freez himself so he could thaw out on the day of release?

16. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

Nice...I can't wait to see how the game evolves in the next version.

Who is lining up to make mods?

17. SmellyJelly

SmellyJelly Chieftain

:hatsoff:
    This news has just made my entire year!

18. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

HELL YEAH :rockon::rockon::rockon:

Damn how am I supposed to wait till fall, I'll die of anticipation! :wallbash:
    But wait NOOOOO!!! I'm supposed to go to army in the summer!!! :aargh:
    Whatta hell am I supposed to do now???:suicide:
    Well.. I guess I could delay it again... for a couple of years... indefinitely... :mwaha::crazyeye::mwaha::crazyeye:

19. Shqype

Shqype Shqyptar

I'm extremely excited for this. I can't wait!

20. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

I think he ended up 500 years in the future, then went back even farther into the past.