1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization V: The Mobile Game!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by NeverMind, Jun 29, 2011.

1. ucel

ucel Prince

People, stop talking about "modern smartphones" and read exactly:
    It will be no native app. And this means either crap with a style of "war of two cities" or something pseudo-strategic for 2-3 hours. Surely nothing with the complexity of first civ. And I really hope I am wrong.

And some words about playing Civ I on a smartphone. I managed to start it in a DOS simulator under WinMobile 2003 in 320x240 resolution and it worked fine. I could play with a stylus and use virtual keyboard and key mappings from the emulator. The processor speed was 200Mhz and it could emulate a 386 machine with about 10Mhz clock - more than enough for Civ I.
    AFAIK there is no working DOS Emulator for Android offering virtual keyboard. You need virtual keyboard and key mappings at least for units navigation - otherwise the game loses its charm.

2. anandus

anandus Errorist

All Android apps are Java-apps ;)
    Don't know about iOS and Blackberry, though.

3. Leif Roar

Leif Roar Warlord

Yes, but if it's something that'll run on "all Java capable phones" it's going to be written to the lowest common denominator -- particularly when it comes to UI.

4. Lachlan

Lachlan Great Builder of Civs !

It would be on iPad 2, i would be happy, but iPad 2 is it enough for Strategic View Mode of Civ 5 ? I dare to hope that Civ 5 on iPad 2 would be not so crippled...

5. BSPollux

BSPollux Deity

there are some very basic diffrences between Civ5 and Civ4&3, like the hexfields and the 1upt. Maybe thats all that the 'based on5' is about.

Lets face it: It has to be more simplistic, no matter what they base it on. But when I see anything using a hexgrid and 1upt it would remind me to 5 instead of 4.

6. Lachlan

But a game more deep than Civ Rev and less deep than Civ IV would be nice on iPad...

When Civ Rev was released in 2008 for X Box 360, i liked it but lacked a few more things to be perfect...

7. JesusOnEez

JesusOnEez Emperor

Wasn't the "based on the award winning Civ 4" mobile game related to Civ in name only? I believe it was a poor Angry Birds type of "defend your city" kind of game and was generally awful. I expect something similarly awful like an exact replica of Civ 5.

:D

Just kidding, I've grown to enjoy it (or rather, it's grown to a point I do enjoy it). However, I hold out little hope that a mobile game is going to be anything other than a casual game with little resemblance to anything even close to an "actual" civilization game. Praetor is about as complex as mobile games get and that was crap.

8. NeverMind

NeverMind Proud to be Russian

First screenshots, from Gameloft Indonesian blog.

Pretty Fly For A White Guy... Mobile Civ?

Attached Files:

9. jtb1127

jtb1127 Deity

It certainly doesn't look as fun as civ world!

10. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Thanks for the images :goodjob:.

Looks like a mixture of Civ5 + CivRev :think:.

11. Drawmeus

Drawmeus Emperor

I'm not so sure it looks like a mixture of Civ 5 and ANYTHING. Everything in those screenshots is consistent with it being a full port of Civ 5 with a new UI.

Lord I hope not. I don't even know what I'd do if I could play a full-fledged Civ game anywhere. Probably stop eating and working.

12. Mad Man

Mad Man Your lord and master

I have to say this looks very promising for a cellphone game, hope I can download it on my ipod touch.

13. Emperor Giulio

Emperor Giulio King

By september, my phone contract is up, and I'm getting the iphone 5, can't wait to check it out on that!

14. magzhi

magzhi Warlord

am I the only person who noticed that there are infantry, artillery and bombers in 1240 BC

15. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

Check the description of Writing. It looks like they got rid of open border agreements.

16. KingYosef

KingYosef Warlord

BlackBerry is Java based as well. Which is why the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet will be able to run Android apps soon.

iPhone is Objective-C.

17. KingYosef

KingYosef Warlord

I yawned when I saw this thread. I'm tired the Civ name being dwindled down to petty versions that have lost all feel of playing a Civ game. This is Civ Rev all over again.

18. anandus

anandus Errorist

It doesn't look too bad actually. Quite playable for a smaller screen I think.

19. Lachlan

So, it is Gameloft for Civ5 Mobile :)

I have a question : Gameloft develops also some games for iPad ?

1) When we can expect these mobile version of Civ 5 ?

2) When we can expect a Civ 5 on iPad ?
    Do you believe it ? With Game Center on iPad for scores and multiplayer :nuke:

3) These screen are like i expected, near to board game view for terrain

20. Shandalar

Shandalar Chieftain

The graphics in those screenies look exactly like the PC version. If they can make it look like that and run on a smartphone, what the hell is wrong with the PC version?