Civilization V: The Mobile Game!

People, stop talking about "modern smartphones" and read exactly:
Civ V, the mobile game will come between June and December this year to all countries and will run on all Java and Brew capable phones.

It will be no native app. And this means either crap with a style of "war of two cities" or something pseudo-strategic for 2-3 hours. Surely nothing with the complexity of first civ. And I really hope I am wrong.

And some words about playing Civ I on a smartphone. I managed to start it in a DOS simulator under WinMobile 2003 in 320x240 resolution and it worked fine. I could play with a stylus and use virtual keyboard and key mappings from the emulator. The processor speed was 200Mhz and it could emulate a 386 machine with about 10Mhz clock - more than enough for Civ I.
AFAIK there is no working DOS Emulator for Android offering virtual keyboard. You need virtual keyboard and key mappings at least for units navigation - otherwise the game loses its charm.

It would be on iPad 2, i would be happy, but iPad 2 is it enough for Strategic View Mode of Civ 5 ? I dare to hope that Civ 5 on iPad 2 would be not so crippled...

there are some very basic diffrences between Civ5 and Civ4&3, like the hexfields and the 1upt. Maybe thats all that the 'based on5' is about.

Lets face it: It has to be more simplistic, no matter what they base it on. But when I see anything using a hexgrid and 1upt it would remind me to 5 instead of 4.

But a game more deep than Civ Rev and less deep than Civ IV would be nice on iPad...

When Civ Rev was released in 2008 for X Box 360, i liked it but lacked a few more things to be perfect...

Wasn't the "based on the award winning Civ 4" mobile game related to Civ in name only? I believe it was a poor Angry Birds type of "defend your city" kind of game and was generally awful. I expect something similarly awful like an exact replica of Civ 5.

:D

Just kidding, I've grown to enjoy it (or rather, it's grown to a point I do enjoy it). However, I hold out little hope that a mobile game is going to be anything other than a casual game with little resemblance to anything even close to an "actual" civilization game. Praetor is about as complex as mobile games get and that was crap.

First screenshots, from Gameloft Indonesian blog.

Pretty Fly For A White Guy... Mobile Civ?

Attachments

• civ5mobile_01.jpg
    civ5mobile_01.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 4,052
I'm not so sure it looks like a mixture of Civ 5 and ANYTHING. Everything in those screenshots is consistent with it being a full port of Civ 5 with a new UI.

Lord I hope not. I don't even know what I'd do if I could play a full-fledged Civ game anywhere. Probably stop eating and working.

I have to say this looks very promising for a cellphone game, hope I can download it on my ipod touch.

am I the only person who noticed that there are infantry, artillery and bombers in 1240 BC

Everything in those screenshots is consistent with it being a full port of Civ 5 with a new UI.

Check the description of Writing. It looks like they got rid of open border agreements.

All Android apps are Java-apps ;)
Don't know about iOS and Blackberry, though.

BlackBerry is Java based as well. Which is why the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet will be able to run Android apps soon.

iPhone is Objective-C.

I yawned when I saw this thread. I'm tired the Civ name being dwindled down to petty versions that have lost all feel of playing a Civ game. This is Civ Rev all over again.

So, it is Gameloft for Civ5 Mobile :)

I have a question : Gameloft develops also some games for iPad ?

1) When we can expect these mobile version of Civ 5 ?

2) When we can expect a Civ 5 on iPad ?
Do you believe it ? With Game Center on iPad for scores and multiplayer :nuke:

3) These screen are like i expected, near to board game view for terrain

The graphics in those screenies look exactly like the PC version. If they can make it look like that and run on a smartphone, what the hell is wrong with the PC version?

Top Bottom