Civilization VI for Mac "Coming Soon" - Aspyr

Xyth

History Rewritten

Minimum System Requirements

Operating System: MacOS 10.11 (El Capitan)
CPU Processor: Intel Core i5 (4 cores)
CPU Speed: 2.3 GHz
Memory: 6 GB
Hard Disk Space: 15 GB
Video Card (ATI): Radeon HD 6790
Video Card (NVIDIA): GeForce 650M
Video Card (Intel): Iris Pro
Video Memory (VRam): 1 GB
Peripherals: Macintosh mouse and keyboard, Steam Controller (optional)

http://www.aspyr.com/games/sid-meier-s-civilization-vi

For those wondering if their Mac meets these requirements, here's a rundown:
  • MacBook: No.
  • MacBook Air: No
  • 13" MacBook Pro: No
  • 15" MacBook Pro: 2012 or newer
  • iMac: a few 2011 - 2012 models, most 2013 - 2014 models, all since
  • Mac Mini: No

Last edited:
I won't be buying it for a while. Only the latest (read newest) Macs have i5 quad cores. And those are the iMacs. I looked at the Mac Minis and they are only dual core.

Heck--the Mac Pro (which has not been upgraded in several years and cost $4,000 or more isn't even compatible.

And the iMacs don't even come with the video cards that are required. I guess those will have to be purchased after market. And it's a pain in the butt to take those things apart and swap things around.

Sorry, Civilization. I love Civ V and I'm sure I'd love VI, but not enough to fork out a couple of thousand dollars for a new computer to play it on.

Did some research and added a list of which Macs meet the minimum requirements to the first post.

Only the latest (read newest) Macs have i5 quad cores. And those are the iMacs.

And the iMacs don't even come with the video cards that are required.

There are iMacs as far back as 2011 that meet these requirements. Not every model though.

Sorry, Civilization. I love Civ V and I'm sure I'd love VI, but not enough to fork out a couple of thousand dollars for a new computer to play it on.

I've been saving to upgrade my 15" MBP from 2010. Just need Apple to hurry up and release new MBPs that are actually worth buying! It's pretty rotten for people who've bought Macs more recently though.

Last edited:
I stand corrected on the iMacs.

Maybe next year I can get a new one.

I almost bought one of those Mac Pros a year or two back--I'm glad I didn't.

Sorry for double post--but the new iMacs don't show those graphic cards on the iMacs. I see the standard Radeon R9 M395 (2 gigs), and the upgrade of an R9 M395X (4 gig).

Will those work?

Sorry for double post--but the new iMacs don't show those graphic cards on the iMacs. I see the standard Radeon R9 M395 (2 gigs), and the upgrade of an R9 M395X (4 gig).

Will those work?

The iMacs Apple is currently selling? Most definitely. Especially the 27" models. I wouldn't buy a 21" model for gaming though as they don't have a dedicated video card, just the Iris Pro.

Thanks. I'd definitely get a 27-inch. I've got an older Mac Pro with a 23-inch display now. I can't imagine going smaller. And I'm used to my 27-inch iMac at work.

Hey Xyth thanks for posting the info! My iMac is 27" from 2011, so I'll have to go check its details. I remember buying upgraded graphics card but don't recall the processor.

I bought the new MacBook last year with top processor and harddrive, and it doesn't say it even meets Civ 5 requirements; but it plays it fine albeit with lowest game resolution settings. I doubt it can handle Civ 6, but it makes me wonder if there are MacBook Pros that will be able to run Civ 6 even though not technically meeting requirements.

Hey Xyth thanks for posting the info! My iMac is 27" from 2011, so I'll have to go check its details. I remember buying upgraded graphics card but don't recall the processor.

According to Wikipedia, the iMac from 2011 that meets the minimum requirements is the 3.1/3.4 GHz 27" model with a AMD Radeon HD 6970M (1 or 2GB of VRAM). It was sold with 4GB of RAM, but that's easily upgradable.

I bought the new MacBook last year with top processor and harddrive, and it doesn't say it even meets Civ 5 requirements; but it plays it fine albeit with lowest game resolution settings. I doubt it can handle Civ 6, but it makes me wonder if there are MacBook Pros that will be able to run Civ 6 even though not technically meeting requirements.

Those MacBooks are woefully underpowered. I'm surprised that Civ5 is playable on them. I'd be worried about it overheating! There'll probably be under spec MBPs that can run Civ6, just have to stick to lowest settings and smaller maps.

Yes my MacBook does get warm, but I've played standard size maps with long games and it runs just fine. I've been super impressed with my MacBook overall to be honest. It's surprisingly fast and soooo easy to lug around thru airports and such.

Woot, I just checked my iMac and it meets the requirements! It's 3.1 ghz Intel core i5 with amd Radeon hd 6970M 2gb vram. And I had upgraded the ram to 20gb too.

Last edited:

The MacBook Pro line tend to have beefier stats than the MacBook and the Air. I got mine sometime last year or so and it seems to be above the minimum standards in most cases. Notably it has the i7 quad core and the Intel Iris Pro graphics hardware.

Even if I can't play it I'd still buy the game, ill eventually upgrade right? But, what is the expected release date? My brother is going to be able to school me if he gets a couple months of extra play on his PC. :/

Thanks for the specs, Xyth! I haven't had a chance to play any Civ version in years, but I just ran across the trailer for the new game. I had a sinking feeling when I checked and didn't see OSX under the supported platforms, then remembered to check here for news on the mac side.

Top Bottom