Civilization VI Launch Trailer

No, she is not.
Unless you're one of those thinking big eyes mean anime style. It's so western I don't even know where to start.
The level of acceptance of cultural appropriation you're displaying here is staggering. Anime had big eyes first, big eyes are not suddenly "western" just because it has been done in a western style.

Also, it was a joke.

Is it the story of a man who is perpetually condemned to die a stupid death? Some sort of play on the Darwin Awards? I mean, if I was a winged hussar I would not halt in a clearing in front of enemy artillery. If I would set fire to a large pool of oil I would hold the torch at the other end. I would not try out my first self built aircraft by falling of a deadly cliff. And I would not stick photographs over my instrument panel if I flew a warplane in to an air battle.

Is it the story of a man who is perpetually condemned to die a stupid death? Some sort of play on the Darwin Awards? I mean, if I was a winged hussar I would not halt in a clearing in front of enemy artillery. If I would set fire to a large pool of oil I would hold the torch at the other end. I would not try out my first self built aircraft by falling of a deadly cliff. And I would not stick photographs over my instrument panel if I flew a warplane in to an air battle.

This made me chuckle.

IMO, Sogno di Volare carried the trailer. Once you get past the marvel of watching it for the first time, you start to realize that the trailer is...just okay. Doesn't feel as grand as Civ 5 trailers, and the art style certainly doesn't help the case. But hey, we're not playing the game for the trailer, so whatever.

Oh, and of course "Dumb Ways to Die" by Sean Bean. Those were sloppy :)

I haven't watched past the girl walking in, it just gives me the creeps.

I assume it's because the animation tries to be human like but don't quite get it, making it create a sense of wrongness, due to one of our human instincts.

Haven't watched Frozen then, right? No kids? ;p
Seriously: What's the fuzz about? Oh, She's got big eyes - I'm out! :crazyeye:

This is big eyes:
Spoiler :

I just don't get it. Thank God your problems are not mine. :rolleyes: Personally I like the trailer very much!
Even that his daughter is the advisor in the game feels really good to me. As far as I can say she even has the same voice (and earrings)! :)

And btw, I'm sure Bean dies only once: In the plane at the end. Watch it!

Last edited:
IMO, Sogno di Volare carried the trailer. Once you get past the marvel of watching it for the first time, you start to realize that the trailer is...just okay. Doesn't feel as grand as Civ 5 trailers, and the art style certainly doesn't help the case. But hey, we're not playing the game for the trailer, so whatever.

Yup, Beyond Earth's launch trailer was better than this imo, but Sogno di Volare definitely kept the video in the "still epic" territory because its really good piece of music

Now every time you finish building the colossus, instead of wonder quote, you will hear Sean's excruciating scream from being burnt alive.

Really? Don't mix up the launch trailer with the intro. To me CiVs launch trailer looks subpar (and much more like an advertisement then this one...):

Spoiler :

I find the launch trailer really meaningful and befitting of the civilization theme. It tells a really good story of human ingenuity and legacy, IMO.

The trailer starts with a man drawing a map, when his little sister/daughter comes in to check on him. They talk about adapting and reaching the end of the journey. Then the trailer moves on to a collage of human achievements and also their terribleness. One minute they use fire and gunpowder for benevolent purposes like lighting the Colossus or festive fireworks. In the next they use those for warfare and killing. One moment you see people who dream of flying. In the next, same story, war and death. But with all the deadly applications are also ones that serve the greater good for humanity. Fire and flight are used for humans to achieve their next step, a crowning achievement of leaving Earth and going into the infinity. The trailer ends with the sister/daughter getting a full view of the planet, hence completing the man's dream of mapping the whole world.

I like how it's the same two characters that encapsulate "humankind" in the trailer; it shows that for all our good and folly, we are part of one lasting legacy from the past, a legacy of civilizations and the humans that built them.

Friday can't come soon enough.

Sogno di Volare means Dream of Flight, the whole video basically was the visualisation of this theme, taken from Civ Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/580zi2/sogno_di_voliare_is_represented_in_the_trailer/

Ancient Era, Starts with a view of the moon and horizon which is being used to navigate

Classical Era, the massive height of the colossus and the Seagull soaring through the foreground, also Colossus was a depiction of Helios who rides across the sky in his sun chariot

Medieval Era, The fireworks in the night sky the first man made things to fly under their own power

Renaissance Era, The Winged Hussar

Industrial Era, The first aircraft ever

Modern Era, The battle of Britain, one of the greatest air wars ever fought

Information Era, The Rocket reaching out to the stars bringing humanity to the moon they dreamed of reaching so long ago, and beyond it

Really? Don't mix up the launch trailer with the intro. To me CiVs launch trailer looks subpar (and much more like an advertisement then this one...):

Spoiler :
I suspect this is THE intro cinematic we're getting. It really feels like too much effort to make a launch trailer of such quality and narrative. I will be glad if I'm proven wrong.

I suspect this is THE intro cinematic we're getting. It really feels like too much effort to make a launch trailer of such quality and narrative. I will be glad if I'm proven wrong.

The civ6 trailer certainly feels like it could be the intro. Like an intro that we would expect for a civ game, it is a cinematic movie that tells a story of civilization from the ancient age to the information age. And it has the intro music in it.

The level of acceptance of cultural appropriation you're displaying here is staggering. Anime had big eyes first, big eyes are not suddenly "western" just because it has been done in a western style.

Also, it was a joke.
Actually, the Egyptians beat Japan to it by 4000+ years, so clearly it is the Japanese who are guilty of cultural appropriation. :p

I agree with DSveno: the art style in the trailer is decidedly Western. Despite the "anime big eyes" trope, big eyes are a feature of both Western and Japanese animation--anime just tends to take them to a...greater extreme.

Actually, the Egyptians beat Japan to it by 4000+ years, so clearly it is the Japanese who are guilty of cultural appropriation. :p
That's not big eyes, that's at best somewhat bigger than normal sized eyes!

It just looks so much bigger because that's not an eye looks in side-view.

That's not big eyes, that's at best somewhat bigger than normal sized eyes!

It just looks so much bigger because that's not an eye looks in side-view.
Oh, they're definitely not anime big, but they'd definitely fall in the midrange of Western animation eyes (which still tend to have larger-than-life eyes, with a few exceptions aiming more for realism like The Iron Giant and Don Bluth's later films, because eyes are expressive and therefore desirable to exaggerate). But my point is that large eyes are a feature of many art styles, not just anime--anime just takes it to a...unique extreme.

You better put your metaphorical bib on because they're never going to put Hitler into the game, they barely seem willing to risk being so politically incorrect as to include a female leader designed in an exploitative manner anymore. Hitler is off the table.

There's clearly an axis plane in the trailer though, Germany already has the U-Boat, Poland also shown in the trailer... Board game aesthetics but they don't want to touch making a scenario with one of the most popular strategic board games after Risk? (Talking about Axis & Allies btw)

I can understand in 2016 not wanting to launch a civ game with the only option being to play Hitler, Stalin or Mussolini... But I think it could be an awesome civ scenario, and one of the advantages to multiple leaders is that they can make these horrible people playable, without being the only option who might want to play Germany. That and well... There's like hundreds if not thousands of games that play out WW2, and they don't all involve you playing the Allied hero.

I hope you are wrong and I'd stake my reputation, if it actually meant something, that a WW2 themed scenario is in the works.

Oh, they're definitely not anime big
HAH! So I was right all along!

But joking aside... I actually find all Characters in the video rather stiff and doll-like. Which is surprising, given the expressive leaders.

Top Bottom