Civilization's City Name Thread

Omega124

Challenging Fate

CITY NAMES

This thread should be used for discussing city names for future modular civs. This thread should not be used to discuss/argue if a said modular civ should be in the mod or not. Please be respectful for other's opinions.

How do you like me copying your format ;)

Nice work. I also think this thread should be used to discuss city-names in the mod itself. I think I have already changed some, but there have certainly been gripes before. Good idea.

This is a DP, but I figured I should post this here. I don't remember if I have put all of these cities in yet (i.e. for the stock-BtS civs, I think I put them in for the new ones though), but this is a nice list provided to me by Igor. I will, in all liklihood, be using this list so if you are interested in city-names I suggest DLing it, taking a look, and telling everyone what you think. :goodjob:

Attachments

• IgorSCityLists.rar
    71 KB · Views: 262
For the hunnic city list I think you should use the one we came up with cool3a2
It's hard to come up with a good list for them, but I think it is as good as it possibly could be based on the few information we have...

If you want to I will post the list here

Austria's City list:

Spoiler :

Vienna/Wien
Salzburg
Innsbruck
Linz
St. Pölten
Eisenstadt
Klagenfurt
Graz
Lienz
Prague
Budapest (hey, if we're talking serious about Austria, I'm assuming you mean from its hey-day? After all, it only has so many good cities within modern Austria)
Bratislava
Sopron
Esterháza
Breslau

Any complaints?

I think you can easily forget that :p
Hungarian cities in Austria's citylist?? No way
I don't second Prague or Bratislava either

Also, there is already a fairly good citylist for Austria
I only posted about the hunnic one because there weren't any good lists for them before

What's the current Austrian citylist? I'm just trying to think of cities that have been important in Austrian history. Considering in modern times there is really not much of a good selection of cities (most being in Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Italy, etc.) I was thinking of cities that have been in Austrian possession at one point or another. I could suggest something like Hallstatt, but who really has heard of there?

It's 5 posts upwards, but this is IgorS's citylist:
Spoiler :
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_VIENNA</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_GRAZ</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_LINZ</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SALZBURG</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_INNSBRUCK</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KLAGENFURT</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_VILLACH</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_WELS</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SANKT_POLTEN</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_DORNBIRN</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_STEYR</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_WIENER_NEUSTADT</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_RIED_IM_INNKREIS</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_FELDKIRCH</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_BREGENZ</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_WOLFSBERG</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_LEOBEN</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KLOSTERNEUBURG</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_BADEN</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KREMS</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_TRAUN</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_AMSTETTEN</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_KAPFENBERG</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_LEONDING</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_MODLING</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_LUSTENAU</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_HALLEIN</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_BRAUNAU_AM_INN</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_SPITTAL_AN_DER_DRAU</City>
<City>TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_EISENSTADT</City>

d'oh! I forgot about :):):):)ing, Lower Austria (i think that's where it is)

you know, I ought to see what happens if I said "I was in :):):):)ing, Austria" near the Dean of Students...

I like that list. ('cept it doesn't have :):):):)ing, but I guess there are obvious reasons for taht

I think we can include some cities form Austria's heyday, but none from Hungary. Bratislava is fine, but call it Pressburg. Prague can go there too, even if we decide to add a Czech module (which I doubt). Go with German names whenever you can.

The Wolfshanze mod had some nice cities in its list, like Austerlitz.

Austerlitz is a good idea, and I can also live with Pressburg (even if it was a hungarian city)
I would avoid Prague though

This is a list I use for the Austria Module I put together. It focuses more on the Austria and Austria-Hungarian Empires.

Its Austrian Cities with a mix of Hungarian, Czech, Slovakian, Croatian and Italian

I made the list longer then usual to compensate for duplicate cities in civilizations.
The only overlap from BTS is 5 HRE cities Vienna (3) , Prague (2), Salzburg (22) Innsbruck (23), Pilsen (39), Genoa (25)

From other popular Modules, there are 2 as well
From Hungary: Budapest (1), Miskolc (5). Note there are 3 other Hungarian cities, though the name here is in German.

Spoiler :

Vienna
Prague
Budapest
Pressburg
Graz
Linz
Salzburg
Innsbruck
Klagenfurt
Villach
Wels
St. Polten
Dornbirn
Debreczen
Miskolc
Szegedin
Funfkirchen
Brunn
Ostrau
Pilsen
Reichenberg
Kaschau
Eperies
Sillein
Neutra
Genoa
Venice
Verona
Trieste
Agram
Split
Pflaum
Esseg
Zara
Wiener Neustadt
Steyr
Feldkirch
Bregenz
Wolfsberg
Baden bei Wien
Klosterneuburg
Leoben
Traun
Anrdonau
Krems
Leonding
Amstetten
Kapfenberg

This is a list I use for the Austria Module I put together.

Its Austrian Cities with a mix of Hungarian, Czech, Slovakian, Croatian and Italian

Spoiler :

Vienna
Prague
Budapest
Pressburg
Graz
Linz
Salzburg
Innsbruck
Klagenfurt
Villach
Wels
St. Polten
Dornbirn
Debreczen
Miskolc
Szegedin
Funfkirchen
Brunn
Ostrau
Pilsen
Reichenberg
Kaschau
Eperies
Sillein
Neutra
Genoa
Venice
Verona
Trieste
Agram
Split
Pflaum
Esseg
Zara
Wiener Neustadt
Steyr
Feldkirch
Bregenz
Wolfsberg
Baden bei Wien
Klosterneuburg
Leoben
Traun
Anrdonau
Krems
Leonding
Amstetten
Kapfenberg

The Cap said he only wants Austrian cities for Austria.

Plus, some planned Modular Civs (Hungary and Venice are the two I see) will have some of those cities.

In the same vein, Serbia should have some cities that it conquered, in other words, the other countries of Yugoslavia and not just Kosovo.

Overlapping city names doesn't concern me because the way they are set up you won't get two of the same cities anyway unless they are spelled differently. So I could really care less to be honest. But at the same time we should stick to Austrian cities for Austria when possible (i.e. don't put Hungarian cities in for the sole purpose of making the list longer, if they were important cities for the Austro-Hungarian Empire then that's fine, but some Hungarian backwater village doesn't need to be added to Austria just to make the list longer... does that make sense?).

BTW: I didn't mean to pick on Hungarian villages, I am sure they are nice, but my point was just that I don't want to add small and insignificant cities to anyone's list just to make it longer.

This is a list I use for the Austria Module I put together. It focuses more on the Austria and Austria-Hungarian Empires.

I made the list longer then usual to compensate for duplicate cities in civilizations.
The only overlap from BTS is 5 HRE cities Vienna (3) , Prague (2), Salzburg (22) Innsbruck (23), Pilsen (39), Genoa (25)

From other popular Modules, there are 2 as well
From Hungary: Budapest (1), Miskolc (5). Note there are 3 other Hungarian cities, though the name here is in German.

Budapest, Szeged, Debrecen, Miskolc, Kassa, Eperjes, Eszék as Austrian cities???
Looool, that's must be a bad joke
At least pick some cities which had at least 1% austrian population in any given time of their history

EDIT: Some of the other ideas are also terrible btw. Prague, Venice, Genoa and Verona? Also make no sence

Top Bottom