Civilizations of All Dawns

Sataa3a

Chieftain
I tried to make a story a little while ago, but never really got much done. But I think now I might be able to finish one, so I'm trying again.

I listen to Calling All Dawns a lot, Christopher Tin's album which starts with Baba Yetu, and while I was doing so tonight, I though about trying to write a story with the 12 civilizations of the song, each individual civilization following the theme of their section, and the whole story following the feel of the song cycle, if that makes any sense.

The 12 languages in the song cycle are:
Swahili
Japanese
Chinese
Portuguese
French
Latin
Irish
Polish
Hebrew
Farsi
Sanskrit
Maori

8 of those civilizations are in unmodded BTS. Does anyone have suggestions for good civs for Swahili (Kenya? DRC?), Hebrew (Israel or Judea), Irish (although I guess I could also just use the Celts to simplify things) and Maori (I'd really like not to use a New Zealand civ)? I'm looking myself, but I figured I'd ask in case someone has one they really like.

I'll most likely be playing this as a multiplayer game by myself, for the sake of simplicity and storytelling, but if that creates major objection, I'm open to better ways to do this.

Hopefully I can start playing this this weekend, and post the first segment sometime next week.

Swahili could be Ethiopia if you're willing to move your capital, convert to Islam, and sacrifice some historical accuracy.
Using the chipotle cheat code, you could switch to Independent Judea.
Same with Irish.
I have no idea about Maori. I know people are already trying to add them to some RFC mods.

The OP talks about unmodded BTS, not RFC. The thread title indeed looks like a pun, though.

Chris Tin is truly an amazing composer from a professional musician's perspective, and I am glad to se someone trying to use that in Civ. However, I'm afraid I can't help you with suggestions. Maybe Cavemen 2 Cosmos?

Sorry for the confusion about DoC- I was trying to play off of the name of the song cycle. I'm rather terrible at titles, though. Yes, I am planning to use unmodded BTS, so that I can add in the civs I need.
Cavemen 2 Cosmos does indeed have the civs I need, but my computer can't play it past a certain year, and sadly none of the songs are about endless animal hunting. : p
I'll browse the civ forum more in depth some tomorrow, I think. Once I've finished this paper. (Friday night paper deadlines... whee.)

You could reskin Ethiopia (change the description and LH name) as Swahili, HRE as Poland (GEM did that), and Sumeria or Carthage as Israel. Maybe even Khmer as Polynesia...

Oh my goodness, I forgot Poland, didn't I? Looks like I've been playing too much DoC and GEM...
And yeah, that's definitely a possibility.
I've never downloaded new civs before. Does modular mean you can have more than one new civ in the same game? Hopefully? Agh. I will figure this out.

Don't mod at all, when you go to the custom settings, just rename the civs I mentioned to the civs you need. It's the best work-free solution.

Mmm. I think I will till try to install a Polynesian civ, at least, because I would like to use a civ from at least the general area, and one new civ shouldn't be hard... but yeah, other than that, I'll probably use Celtia/Ireland, HRE/Poland, Ethiopia/Swahili-speaking-countries and Sumeria/Israel.

Oops, sorry, didn't notice that. It was 6 in the morning and I just skimmed through the details. :crazyeye:
I'm pretty sure modmakers have made a civ for each one of those except for Farsi and Sanskrit.
See CIV Gold, that has a mega-pack of civilizations. It takes 10 minutes to load!
Edit: All of the civs in CIV Gold are modular so they should be easy to transfer to your mod.

It's okay, it's not a very good title anyways.
Farsi is the language of Persia/Iran and Sanskrit is an ancient Indian/South Asian language, so I'm good on those two already, but thank you!
I suppose I could try looking at CIV Gold- I just don't want to kill my computer.

Update: CIV Gold works! The game is all set up now, with the right civs. I should be able to actually start this story in the upcoming week. Thank you all for the advice!

Maybe I should rename my WIP mod Calling All Dawns...

Subbed, and good luck, I tryed to do something like this once, but I could sadly not get the israel mod to work :(

So an update on this because it's been a month and I feel bad for the seeming abandonment:
I have started the game and am working my way through it, but it's taking longer than I thought and I need to finish it before I can write this.
In addition, my grandfather died recently, so I haven't been in the mood to play civ. And now, in a week and a half, I have my first college finals. SO I feel like studying needs to take priority.
However, I WILL finish this. (start it, too, hah) My deadline is April 2014 (the drop that contained the sea!) , although I *should* get this finished before then (since winter holiday is a month).
My apologies for starting the thread and not getting started on this. In two weeks at the most, I will have the Swahili part up.
Thank you for your patience. :)

I appreciate the fact you will still continue the story despite your current situation. I'm sure the story will be wonderful. :D

Top Bottom