civIV Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

Yes, but it's limited so far. I've got the tech tree in, and some of the new art, but am waiting on Anno Domi for many of the civs. That was targeted for November, but ran into some problems, and now maybe January sometime.

In the meantime, I've been reading "The Fall of the Roman Empire" by Heather. If one buys into this view it changes the 300-500AD army size some. The "classic" perspective is Gibbons, who argued that moral decline has a lot to do with the fall, but Heater's view is that the WRE was simply overwhelmed. Too many baddies!

The civ5 "Fall of Rome" scenario is certainly Gibbons with all the negative policies.

the download page says it's forbidden. Any update on the CIV V version?

I'm nearly stuck on the civ5 version. From my point of view, a huge difference is how the maps are done since these are historical. Civ4 was text based, so easy to modify. The file used "symbolic names" for the civs (eg CIVILIZATION_ROME) and "UNIT_OWNER/CITY_OWNER=0". Consider 200AD to 400AD. The Empire is split. In vim (a powerful text editor) the bulk of this change is accomplished via a single search and replace operations :)'a,'b s/_OWNER=0/_OWNER=46/). There is some further editing since the split doesn't match the Y coordinate exactly. 5 min later, bam!, the map is ready.

In civ5 the map is binary, so we need to use the map editor. There is no search and replace. To accomplish the same thing each unit needs to be deleted, and replaced. Each city needs to be deleted, and replaced, along with all the buildings, culture, and what not. Very labor intensive and error prone!!!!

So I've been trying to follow the Medieval scenario, which is the closest thing I can find to what I need to do. I've hacked the loadscreen.lua, and split out the contents of the civ4map into: a base map file, scenario specific: map file (roads + improvements), civ file (which civs are alive), religion file, and finally units+buildings. All these files are loaded in the correct order (AFAIK since there's no CTDs or errors), but after it all there is a CTD, but even the debug DLL gives no obvious reason.

The only thing I can think of is to try the DLL (I didn't make any changes to it) on a different mod, and the same thing with the map.

I can not download, link says it's "403 forbidden". Please upload mod in somewhere else.:(

ps. This is my favorite mod in civ3. Really want to play in civ4!:cry:

Any chance we could get Ajidica's add-on soundtrack uploaded to gamefront? Current link is dead.

Would love to hear it.

<rant>
Ok, no civ5 version well into 2014... Parts were easy to port over (eg map), but I could never figure out how to get the scenario bootstrapping to work (over the base map, set units/religion/ownership...). It just always crashes and I never figured out why. If that could get fixed (I can upload the project), then next is porting the huge mass of python to Lua so that all the customization's (eg civitas) work. Too much work!! Civ5 is great for simple modding, but for something as detailed as this it's a disaster.
</rant>

That said, if anyone is interested I can upload the civ5 RFRE project. As much as I wanted to create it the crashing during load was too much. It was simply too painful to develop for. The default graphics (eg spearman) were a big help, but overall the promise of easier modding simply didn't apply to me.

Could you please upload the mod again. the link is broken

Top Bottom