1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Clarifying OOS solutions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Roghar, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Calbrenar

Calbrenar Prince

So far on patch J the best OOS solution I have found is not using Living world. we will try K after finishing up our current game.

2. Mailo

Mailo Chieftain

Tried patch k, started a game with two friends (me and one friend XP, the other Vista).
    OOS right at gamestart, before doing anything at all :(

Any ideas?

3. Goodgimp

Goodgimp Warlord

Right at start is rather odd. Did everything get installed / patched correctly?

4. Kentarion

Kentarion Chieftain

just to remember what to do FIRST.

patch 'k' works fine here (did clearing the cache...)

5. Mailo

Mailo Chieftain

As far as I know, everything was installed just fine.

We went back to patch "g" (just installed it over version k), played about 300 rounds, no OOS.

We also had a OOS right at gamestart a couple weeks back, with patch h I believe, so nothing unusual for us.

6. Calbrenar

Calbrenar Prince

This is really breaking FFH for me. Trying to play 3 player lan game and we are getting constant OOS errors after only 125 turns. No living world (scared to use it) using latest patch

7. Tarquelne

Tarquelne Follower of Tytalus

Since I use a modmod I can't be sure what's causing the OOS problems. For what it's worth, though, I haven't played a full multiplayer game with anything later than "g".

8. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

9. Calbrenar

Calbrenar Prince

I'm using patch K and direct connection and it does nothing. How do you disable events? Using the option check? That has a specific warning on mine not to use it.

10. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

It has a warning because it will disable ALL events. That includes spreading of guilds, adaptive & Insane traits, Armaggedon, spawning of Barbarian Heroes... Lots of things.

But, if you just want to see what it is like with no events, and find out if that does indeed solve your OOS, it is there.

11. Calbrenar

Calbrenar Prince

I'm not exactly sure when this became an issue. When I played preshadow there was no OOS problems and now it seems like a major problem. Where is all this stemming from and how do we resolve it.

Kael can you give us things we can do to test this out for you and help you solve these issues? As it is it is basically making it unplayable in multiplayer which is basically the only way I play it. Disabling events seems like a bad idea since much of the cool stuff in the game is event based.

12. Kael

Kael Deity

OOS's are the hardest thing to troubleshoot since they only occur in multiplayer. That means I need you guys to help me isolate them. A post that says you got an OOS on turn 125 doesnt help me much. I need to know under what conditions you get OOS's and under which conditions you dont. I know that really hard to tell if you play 1-2 games.

What I really need is a group to start really small and simple and expand their game until they start getting OOS's. In the begining I would take a game with 2 human player, no barbs, no events, no ac, compact enforced and play for a few hundred turns. Then if that goes okay add in pieces one at a time until OOS's start happening.

Alternativly start fully loaded in a 2 player human game with everything running. Then if you can get OOS's start backing things out until they stop.

Keep in mind that a single OOS, especially if you are able to drop out and come back may not be the issue we really want to solve. We want the big nasty OOS issues that are occuring frequently or are causing the game to be unable to sync afterwards.

13. Calbrenar

Calbrenar Prince

I'll ask my friend to help do some of this debugging. He's just learning the game so probably won't miss some of the cool stuff events does as much.

I can tell you that our game was perfect until I summoned and switched to Hypoborem. Game went immediate OOS. I reloaded a couple turns before and Stayed Sheim and no problems.

14. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

15. Calbrenar

Calbrenar Prince

Doesn't that leave the Sheim as human players too? Or you saying save it after you swap quit and rehost? Or once you switched you log out and leave them waiting then come back?

Maybe it would work in that situation but I've never had relogging fix an OOS error. In our 3 player game we always had 2 person in sync and the third person out (always the same person) and him relogging never helped.

16. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

I'm not entirely familiar with how to pull it off, but I would imagine that it is best to completely re-load the game, and select the new civ on the way in from the lobby or whatnot.

Might also have to have the AI hotswapping option enabled (or whatever the option is... AI take over for players?)

17. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

Patch K...

2 Human Players (one Vista, one XP) 12 AI large 'creation' map standard speed, living world, raging barbarians, wildlands, hallowed ground and compact enforced. No OOS in three 'full' games up to roughly turn 400 in each game. The combination of the three games resulted in every civ (except Hyborem & Infernal) being in the game at one time or another and a high number of events.

One thing to note is that both machines have empty custom assets and all files (base & mod related) match perfectly without excpetion. All games are also run on a LAN. Patches F - H were unplayable by us.

18. Kael

Kael Deity

Are you saying you started getting OOS's at 400, or that you only played to that point?

19. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

Only played to that point, sorry. Tried to get multiple games in to have a better test base for the events that don't occur every game and different mixes of civs.

20. Kael

Kael Deity

Thats very cool, thanks for the info.