Classic 33: Pre-Game Discussion

My guesses: :cool:

No breadcrumbs. We followed that trail already.

Jungle/Forest and Mountain/Hills in 21 tiles around starting location. The three grasslands you see are it. Value of river tiles is low. (Hills/Mountain?)

Industrious/Militaristic.

NPStan

I don't care what the civ is. I just hope it is a panagaea. I dislike having to hunt around for AIs to kill. Attacking islands and continents requires a level of organisation that my empires generally lack.

dvandenberg said:
Sit at the kiddie table? No. Please. Not that! :mischief:

I think I can win on emperor 'Open' class. I just was thinking a little summary of dos and don'ts would be a good fresher. And it might be helpful for more then just me. I know we have play a much tighter game to do well.

That's the spirit :) Just some small tips in addition to AlanH's url. Most of you know theese tips, but I hope some of it can be of use.

- Tunneling. Scout as deep and straight as possible as early as possible with your first warriors, don't wander to far from a straight line on the map. Once you hit a coast you can take the luxury to wander around. The speed of opposition expansion can close a potential door to further contacts. Don't put your first warriors to garrison your towns. Send them out.

- Excersize the slider. Don't be afraid to do a very early scout with warriors. Many players prefer a 0% luxury game, but on higher difficulties you must slice every ounce of opportunity to use the luxury slider. Trim it up and down as your town grows and shrinks. Scouting the terrain for luxury, huts(restless barbs make huts more attractive) and contacts is more important than getting a tech or a few pieces of gold a round faster.

- Share garrisons. Roads = fast and moveable garrisons between your early cities. Spot the time when a town grows, and be ready to send a garrison there. Roads before mines/irrigation let your workers do a fast retreat and also bringing your national guard quickly to the workers when the more potent vanilla/PTW barbs appear. A warrior at a content city is a waste of good military police powers.

- Archers are important while fighting barbs. Later horsemen. The time when you could safely send a warrior against a barbarian HM or warrior is past when you play at emperor level. I usually have an early archer for aggresive hunting of barbarians approaching my borders.

- Luxury. Don't hesitate to send a settler to far regions to claim luxury as early as possible. It might seem safe to wait, but the AI's expansion speed is noteworthy faster at Emperor. If it's close to their capitol you might want to slap a temple in there fairly soon to counter the chances of any flips caused by your rotten emperor lvl culture (workers, warriors and settlers don't generate much culture ;)

- Trade, trade and more trade. Check that foreign advisor for any trade every round. It might seem tedious, but missing a techtrade window, or worker trade is so much more impairing at higher difficulties.

- Firm science. Don't go halfway with your research. Either go at max rate, or opt to trade it for gold at minimum rate. Allways find the minimum level of science slider when you have one round left on research. You can save a lot of gold this way.

- Excersize your citizens. Count your food and shields and find out optimal distribution of your citizens on the valuable worked tiles. Your first cities must share worked tiles since you will most likely grow faster than your workers can improve the terrain. Though you should also have a higher worker count. I try to at least have 1 - 1.5 worker pr city, though this is very hard to do while expanding fast enough.

Every round will go much slower on Emperor level because of the level of micromanagement and time spent checking foreign advisor. Don't play too long and risk doing mistakes. Save the game often and get some fresh air to counter the boredom/tiredness. Good luck!

PS: Can't mention often enough the value of studying good players timelines in the higher difficulty QSC's. You find the URL's at the main GOTM site at the bottom left side of the screen under each GOTM.

An early hint about the civ?

Singularity said:
Every round will go much slower on Emperor level because of the level of micromanagement and time spent checking foreign advisor. Don't play too long and risk doing mistakes. Save the game often and get some fresh air to counter the boredom/tiredness. Good luck!

This is my biggest mistake!! Think Pavlov's dog, I start salivating at the "press enter to end turn" message.

Hello all, great site for a newbie to learn the ropes. Thought I was a pretty good player, 'till I saw all the stuff here :(

Addicted to the thought of competing against fellow humans - so here I go. Submitted COTM01 - at least I finished. I'm going to make the effort to complete GOTM33 predator (boxing out of my weight division, but I enjoy the challenge).

First moves for me will be N & NE based on visibility and the river. Safe and simple, take it from there. I have tried the QSC for older GOTM and have learnt many valuable lessons. This will be my first time taking any form of notes on my game - hopefully that'll rein in my impetuous streak.

Greece, or Carthage, or maybe even Rome then. (If it's early strong defence.)

Neil. :cool:

Now we have to figure out what that cryptic clue means...string, string, string....long & thin? Like the spear that the greek hoplite holds? I dunno....tired & bored here :)

Oh, and the list of bonuses for Conquest players is scaring the crap outta me. 100g, a worker, and two Hoplites!

Later, it was the Romans using very similar tactics who capture Greece. Can YOU prevent history repeating?
UNQUOTE

gulp! sounds pretty ominous...................

Stone Wolf said:
Oh, and the list of bonuses for Conquest players is scaring the crap outta me. 100g, a worker, and two Hoplites!
Look at it that way: would Ainwood really force a one or two city golden age on Conquest players? So we may have some time for development. :crazyeye: Or not. :cry:

Singularity said:
That's the spirit :) Just some small tips in addition to AlanH's url. Most of you know theese tips, but I hope some of it can be of use.

- Tunneling. Scout as deep and straight as possible as early as possible with your first warriors, don't wander to far from a straight line on the map. Once you hit a coast you can take the luxury to wander around. The speed of opposition expansion can close a potential door to further contacts. Don't put your first warriors to garrison your towns. Send them out.

- Excersize the slider. Don't be afraid to do a very early scout with warriors. Many players prefer a 0% luxury game, but on higher difficulties you must slice every ounce of opportunity to use the luxury slider. Trim it up and down as your town grows and shrinks. Scouting the terrain for luxury, huts(restless barbs make huts more attractive) and contacts is more important than getting a tech or a few pieces of gold a round faster.

- Share garrisons. Roads = fast and moveable garrisons between your early cities. Spot the time when a town grows, and be ready to send a garrison there. Roads before mines/irrigation let your workers do a fast retreat and also bringing your national guard quickly to the workers when the more potent vanilla/PTW barbs appear. A warrior at a content city is a waste of good military police powers.

- Archers are important while fighting barbs. Later horsemen. The time when you could safely send a warrior against a barbarian HM or warrior is past when you play at emperor level. I usually have an early archer for aggresive hunting of barbarians approaching my borders.

- Luxury. Don't hesitate to send a settler to far regions to claim luxury as early as possible. It might seem safe to wait, but the AI's expansion speed is noteworthy faster at Emperor. If it's close to their capitol you might want to slap a temple in there fairly soon to counter the chances of any flips caused by your rotten emperor lvl culture (workers, warriors and settlers don't generate much culture ;)

- Trade, trade and more trade. Check that foreign advisor for any trade every round. It might seem tedious, but missing a techtrade window, or worker trade is so much more impairing at higher difficulties.

- Firm science. Don't go halfway with your research. Either go at max rate, or opt to trade it for gold at minimum rate. Allways find the minimum level of science slider when you have one round left on research. You can save a lot of gold this way.

- Excersize your citizens. Count your food and shields and find out optimal distribution of your citizens on the valuable worked tiles. Your first cities must share worked tiles since you will most likely grow faster than your workers can improve the terrain. Though you should also have a higher worker count. I try to at least have 1 - 1.5 worker pr city, though this is very hard to do while expanding fast enough.

PS: Can't mention often enough the value of studying good players timelines in the higher difficulty QSC's. You find the URL's at the main GOTM site at the bottom left side of the screen under each GOTM.

Good advice. :goodjob: Many thanks. I especially like the one about tunneling. :)

Gnomey said:
Hello all, great site for a newbie to learn the ropes. Thought I was a pretty good player, 'till I saw all the stuff here
Welcome to the forum!

You must be a fanatic if you're playing both GOTM's this month!

Keep an eye on the Sucession Games forum. You may want to join one of those next time.

Greece - yes! I would be very pessimistic if it were Celts.

Time to make the donuts....

It would drive me nuts to change between the game versions. Once I get conquest there will be no going back.

Top Bottom