ainwood said:
Not mystical, mystery! :D

I knew it ;)

Status so far on Classic GOTM33:

Civilization: Non Expansionist
Difficulty: XXXXX
World size: Standard
Landmass: Mystery
Geology: 5 billion years old (Fewer mountains...)
Environment: Warm/Wet
Barbarians: Restless
Opponents: 7 most likely

I'm going to give this a bit of effort as I finished COTM2 early and had to ditch classic 32 because of my vacation. I hope it's Celts as they're a fun civ to play. Military/Religious should finally give me an opportunity to test my skills of warfare, and I think I will do it in [Predator] for the first time just to make it a bigger task :)

I'm going with the worker NE crowd. If that doesn't reveal anything which decides the issue then I'll move the settler N. I'd rather risk two moves at the start than "settle" for the start region :)

Guess I'm going to do the same.
Then it really depends on what lies on the other side. I have been idly thinking about that, and settling just north of the mountain means no complete ring of cities around the capital. So, it is quite likely that I will start the FP north of it and build around the FP location, with a Palace move in mind at a later stage.
If I see a good food bonus a few tiles farther north, I may even be tempted to waste a couple more settler moves. Don't know, of course -it is just speculation, after all... :D

I think I will do it even crazier. Playing normal and not moving the settler more than 1 tile did me no good in the 3 games I played. So settler N first, this will reveal cow valley and no need to scout to the NE with the worker. If not I still have the fall-back to also do the NE move.

Emporer level huh? Sweet. That is the level that I play most often anyway. Still, I have never moved more than one or maybe two tiles before settling in an Emporer game. Now you tempt us with a "3-move initial settle"?
Devious ainwood, very devious.

Fewer mountains?

We must be just lucky to have 5 or 6 in our starting view.

At least they didn't give us a catpult to start with...

Wanna bet Jerxes, Alex and Hammi are our neighbors?

Emperor - eep. I've only just stepped up to Monarch for the last couple of GotFs.

Neil. :cool:

I am one of those that have rarely play above Monarch. GOTM31 (SS Loss) may have been the only complete game I ever played, I don't remember.

I know there are lots of useful discussions, articles, tips, etc. spread about, but how about giving us a top 5 list of things to do differently on emperor and/or Jungle maps?

For example, I find myself very attached to the idea of moving. I hate jungle maps. I like N & NW. Although, I am wondering how deep a hole I could dig myself.

Everything hinges on the worker, I would think... either pulling him northeast or north (my vote being north, closer to the river shown). If the land does not show anything north, and I am on a BG, I would move the settler one step and build there.

dvandenberg said:
how about giving us a top 5 list of things to do differently on emperor and/or Jungle maps?
Ouch! my eardrums! Have a look here

Emperor games are definitely tougher due to content penalty and AI bonuses.

You pretty much need to stop doing the 'I like to do' stuff so you can do the 'most desperately needed' stuff.

AlanH said:
Ouch! my eardrums! Have a look here

You have no idea how ironic that is :lol:. I have always been a loud person, or so people tell me.

In this case, the bold was more for emphasis as I put my question in the middle. From now on, I will try to be more quiet. :lol:

Good link. Thanks.

dvandenberg said:
I am one of those that have rarely play above Monarch. GOTM31 (SS Loss) may have been the only complete game I ever played, I don't remember.

I know there are lots of useful discussions, articles, tips, etc. spread about, but how about giving us a top 5 list of things to do differently on emperor and/or Jungle maps?

For example, I find myself very attached to the idea of moving. I hate jungle maps. I like N & NW. Although, I am wondering how deep a hole I could dig myself.
Well, for the likes of yourself, you can always opt to play the 'conquest' class. These players will have a bit of an advantage for the starting settlement, because they will start with "a couple of extra units" ( :mischief: ) that can be used to check-out the surrounding terrain without wasting worker or settler turns.

ainwood said:
Well, for the likes of yourself, you can always opt to play the 'conquest' class. These players will have a bit of an advantage for the starting settlement, because they will start with "a couple of extra units" ( :mischief: ) that can be used to check-out the surrounding terrain without wasting worker or settler turns.

I'm tempted... but I'd feel like I was wimping out. Ision's article was going to be my first port-of-call anyhow, followed by a couple of practice games :)

Neil. :cool:

ainwood said:
Well, for the likes of yourself, you can always opt to play the 'conquest' class...
Sit at the kiddie table? No. Please. Not that! :mischief:

I think I can win on emperor 'Open' class. I just was thinking a little summary of dos and don'ts would be a good fresher. And it might be helpful for more then just me. I know we have play a much tighter game to do well.

Top Bottom