Climate change madness: First successful cocoa plantation on European soil - Tropical crops can now be grown in Southern Spain

media/sports personalities

These two do have degrees.

Professional sports players have to play at the college level before getting drafted to the professional level. They get to college through sports scholarships, and just in case they don't get drafted into a professional career (because it's unlikely) they hedge their bets by also getting a degree while in college in something safe like buisness or communications (which just so happens to allow them to flow into the pipeline of entering the media as either a sports journalist or talk show host).

Because of the aforementioned pipeline the media personalities have degrees as well.

These two do have degrees.

Professional sports players have to play at the college level before getting drafted to the professional level. They get to college through sports scholarships, and just in case they don't get drafted into a professional career (because it's unlikely) they hedge their bets by also getting a degree while in college in something safe like buisness or communications (which just so happens to allow them to flow into the pipeline of entering the media as either a sports journalist or talk show host).

Because of the aforementioned pipeline the media personalities have degrees as well.
But not Stem degrees :)
I mean, ok, I have a BA in Philosophy, but that alone wouldn't guarantee any income - let alone a good one. It did help me to at least present some reason to the first employers to give me a chance ^^

Besides, isn't a degree in "Communications" pretty much a fake degree? :D

I mean, ok, I have a BA in Philosophy, but that alone wouldn't guarantee any income - let alone a good one. It did help me to at least present some reason to the first employers to give me a chance

Well see that's the thing, simply having a BA in anything is enough for most "cubicle rat" type jobs to hire someone. It proves that the employee is disciplined in the sense they are capable of plowing through tedious and boring work without complaint or lack of productivity.

Also you could have just kept going and got a PHD in philosophy! That's were the money in that degree is! As a professor! You'll just have to secure tenure first.

Besides, isn't a degree in "Communications" pretty much a fake degree? :D

Not if you're charismatic and capable of "putting on a good show". A degree in huckstery helps as well. :cool:

I do agree on one thing, it absolutely has to be one of the STEM degrees if one actually seriously wants to be at the front lines of the climate crisis. That's the only realistic way to contribute and provide solutions that actually matter.

Parading around with a sign all day is not. Politicians do not respect such displays. The Scientists have the political respect, degrees and credentials permitting.

Yeah sorry but there's a reason why parents emphasize higher education for their children. They know that in this world in order to not be taken advantage of you need a certain level of power and credibility. A college degree grants one that baseline level of power and credibility so they can live a dignified life.

Otherwise what's the push?
A four degree has benefits beyond its title. Yes, it does provide some credibility for spending four years getting it, but more than that, it gives one experience beyond one's neighborhood or town. It broadens one's interactions and experience outside of the HS culture. A four year degree enables a person to grow and change and interact with a bigger cross section of ideas and people. It does not give one power. Real power (in one's context) and credibility comes from actually doing things in the world that get noticed. Typically, that comes from hard work, learning some skill set that one can use effectively and demonstrating those skills to people who already have some level of power and influence. "Useless" degrees are easily overcome with demonstrated ability to do things well that someone values.

I do agree on one thing, it absolutely has to be one of the STEM degrees if one actually seriously wants to be at the front lines of the climate crisis. That's the only realistic way to contribute and provide solutions that actually matter.

Parading around with a sign all day is not. Politicians do not respect such displays. The Scientists have the political respect, degrees and credentials permitting.

No. People are required to get support and funding for whatever those with STEM degrees come up with. Someone needs to build it and someone needs to organize it all.

Scientists alone cannot solve this (or anything, really)

Do you accept responsibility for anything in your life?

Do you accept responsibility for anything in your life?

Responsibility for what? How am I the sole one destroying the climate? :twitch:

No. People are required to get support and funding for whatever those with STEM degrees come up with. Someone needs to build it and someone needs to organize it all.

Scientists alone cannot solve this (or anything, really)

Oh, I see. So one has to be rich to make a difference. Can't bankroll those scientists unless you're rich! ;)

It does not give one power. Real power (in one's context) and credibility comes from actually doing things in the world that get noticed. Typically, that comes from hard work, learning some skill set that one can use effectively and demonstrating those skills to people who already have some level of power and influence. "Useless" degrees are easily overcome with demonstrated ability to do things well that someone values.

One still needs a degree before one can prove one's self worthy. The degree is therefore the precondition for power, plain and simple. :yup:

This is changing a bit with the internet, because now literally anyone can enlist on (free) online courses and learn stuff. Of course the degree they'd get (assuming the course even gives something like that) isn't having the market value of a uni degree, but that doesn't mean the knowledge has to be inferior :)

Responsibility for what? How am I the sole one destroying the climate? :twitch:

For anything in your life.

I did not say you are the sole destroyer of the climate.

This is changing a bit with the internet, because now literally anyone can enlist on (free) online courses and learn stuff. Of course the degree they'd get (assuming the course even gives something like that) isn't having the market value of a uni degree, but that doesn't mean the knowledge has to be inferior :)

I agree, however how well preserved is any skill now with open AI? :borg:

Perhaps it is high time to bite the bullet and finally put the Elon Musk chip in our brains! Become cyborg!!! :assimilate:

For anything in your life.

I did not say you are the sole destroyer of the climate.

Well aren't you quite the Calvinist! Sorry but I don't believe in predestination. :old: Neither do I believe in Heaven :jesus: or Hell :devil: therefore I don't need to take personal responsibility for most things!

Only in the context of it being against the law :trouble: do I care to be responsible. Then again as a delinquent once told me "it ain't illegal so long as you don't get caught!"😜

Open AI can easily take over some fields (like mass-produced art), but even with the ChatGPT program it is pretty obvious it cannot create new science; even more alarmingly, its code made it try to fool you it can ^^
That said, it can come up with connections that were just missed, in existing science/math.

Well aren't you quite the Calvinist! Sorry but I don't believe in predestination. :old: Neither do I believe in Heaven :jesus: or Hell :devil: therefore I don't need to take personal responsibility for most things!

Only in the context of it being against the law :trouble: do I care to be responsible. Then again as a delinquent once told me "it ain't illegal so long as you don't get caught!"😜

Do you not have anyone you care about in life? I can't believe you are so lonely that only The Law stops you.

Open AI can easily take over some fields (like mass-produced art), but even with the ChatGPT program it is pretty obvious it cannot create new science; even more alarmingly, its code made it try to fool you it can ^^
That said, it can come up with connections that were just missed, in existing science/math.

Yes but it will get better. People didn't believe it would ever get to the stage whereby it could replace art, but it happened. It's only a matter of time before it masters more complicated skills.

And the hilarious thing is people are willingly training these things, without knowing they are training their replacements!!! It's starts as a meme or joke until the machine can produce it's own memes and jokes! Truly it is a sign of Humanity's hubris and folly.

Do you not have anyone you care about in life? I can't believe you are so lonely that only The Law stops you.

Oh I do. Just don't like it when fools try to guilt me into caring about things that deep down they actually don't really care about (or only care about for the most superficial of reasons).

I have to suppose the machine can auto-produce memes, though some of those won't make any sense. The machine has no consciousness, so its success is directly based on how rigorous the human-made examples are in each field. Which is why for writing code where there are millions of examples, it is great, and also for combining image styles or replicating (to some degree) a painting style, but neither are analogous to coming up with new math or science :) (though again, it can fill in some blanks for stuff which already could be presented but humans were too uninterested or lazy to do so).

Oh I do. Just don't like it when fools try to guilt me into caring about things that deep down they actually don't really care about (or only care about for the most superficial of reasons).

So to pull back from needless insinuation on your part. Can you not perceive a future with people you care about in it? Without a need of religious structure.. can't you comprehend its a good thing to try and make it a better place for them?

Top Bottom