Codefreak5's Fire Emblem Civilizations

Personally, I don't think there'd be too much issue with it, unless you wanted Ylisse's Ambassadors to be very similar to the HRE Ambassadors. JFD's Ambassadors are a Great Merchant replacement that can be upgraded to a Great Ambassador, which in turn has some unique functions, such as being able to convert a puppet city into a Free City for the Holy Roman Empire, or something like that. On the other hand, you could create an Ambassador unit that did something completely different, like writing a Political Treatise like a Great Writer, or having a special mission it could conduct in City States to gives you an extra vote in the World Congress, or whatever.

Hmm, yeah. That's quite a bit more than what I had planned for any potential Ylissean ambassadors - just a simple effect will do for this. No worries about copying anything, then. The World Congress vote you suggested could work, but only for BNW. I'm thinking of a trade mission replacement that gives a small increase to a City-State's Influence, along with a temporary decrease to Influence decay with that City-State, or just one of the two.

The general concept of "an Ambassador UU that replaces a Great Merchant" is pretty generic, particularly since the Great Merchant is the best candidate for that sort of UU since it already has a mission it can carry out with city states to gain influence. So as long as the Ylisse Ambassador was relatively distinctive I don't imagine there'd be any issues. If you wanted, you could simply poke around in a thesaurus for an alternative term to "ambassador" or "diplomat" if you wanted something more distinctive, like "envoy", "mediator", or "plenipotentiary"... :p

That's kinda what I was thinking as well. We can't really use "diplomat", since that's already a BNW spy alternative and it may get confusing, but I like "envoy"; it's short and simple, and not a mouthful like "plenipotentiary".

Plenipotentiary. I love it. xD

So noted.

Cool, thanks! Just let me know if there's anything else I can be working on, Ferox or otherwise. =)

Nothing right now, but once Ferox is done, I'll need your help getting new art assets for Ylisse. If you feel like doing so, you can get a head start on it.

Well, if the thread is back, I guess I'll show you what I've got. This is the Civiliopedia entry for Regna Ferox.
There actually isn't much information on the kingdom in the game so I had to look through all the in-game entries and the Chapters that occur within Regna Ferox to write this, and even then there isn't that much.

Thank you very much! I looked over what you had, and it seemed sufficient. I do wish there was more info on things from Awakening - many aspects of the game could do with more fleshing-out.

I know it's not really important at the moment, but I think Destiny (Ablaze) or Conquest (Ablaze) and Conquest or "Here we are! The shepherds' garrison" would make great war/diplomacy music.

I love this thread.

I really do.

So, are you planning for making Civs of other games, and not just Awakening? Like Tellius, Jugdral, Elibe... even the old Akaneia ones, maybe?

Heyo,

The xml for both Future Ylisse and Regna Ferox lives on PML and codefreak's computers, respectively; alas, I am neither knowledgeable as to its progress nor able to work on it. Furthermore, as all of the art has been completed, and that's really all I do here, I am not currently working on any modding material.
If there's anything that needs helping along, however, I am more than willing to do some work.

I have more Tellius in the works eventually, but god only knows when I'll have enough time to tackle full civs again.

So. I really dropped the ball on this one.

I'd blame this lack of activity on school, but that isn't even the biggest reason for it. Other things (read: other video games) caught my interest, and I was afraid to say anything out of fear of backlash. And it doesn't help that I can't figure out the Lua necessary to make Ferox working right, and that people have been on my back about fixing Ylisse.

I'm at a low point here. I'm not an experienced enough modder to make these projects as good as they should be, but to ask others for help (i.e. to do the hard work for me) would mean I'm taking majority credit on a project I barely worked on; hell, if I get someone else to do Ferox's Lua, then the only things I would have done would be the XML, suggestions for traits, units, etc., and finding the logo. And I'd still get top billing on the downloads (Workshop, CivFanatics, etc.), since I came up with the idea and had the XML. And I don't like that; it makes it look like I did most of the work, when all I did was file organization. Yes, I'll still credit everyone who helped in the descriptions, but many will still think it's my mod, because I'm the one who uploaded it.

TL;DR: I got distracted by new video games, plus a bit of school. I was afraid to come back here because I haven't done anything for the past four months, but don't want help because I'd be taking most of the credit for a project I did the least amount of work on. Things have been stressful.

I'm going to move past this, though. First things first, find someone to code Ferox, or knuckle down and learn how to myself. Next, fix Ylisse and Plegia. Finally, move on to the next project.

And in case I didn't say it earlier, I'm very sorry. I hope people aren't too mad about me dropping off the face of the CivFanatics boards for poorly-justified reasons.

I certainly wouldn't say I'm mad -- if anything, given the number of people that have suddenly dropped silent over the past few months, I'm more worried and hoping that everyone is doing okay. I know some people are just extremely busy with rl things, while other people lost interest, or ended up too stressed out, or whatever... I just hope everyone gets things sorted out.

So that all said, it's good to hear you're willing to get involved with things again! I probably can't help out directly -- I'm still bogged down in all of my own projects that need to get done -- but I'll offer what support and encouragement I can!

Good luck with everything! I'm glad to have you back!

I suggest you wait a bit until JFD releases his Putin mod. IIRC his code for Putin's UA might be of massive use to you.

Hey there!

I have been very silent for the past few months or so, but I definitely haven't lost interest! I've been lurking big-time. I have CivFanatics bookmarked and check it on a (almost) daily basis. =)

I'd be more than happy to help along Ferox and help patch up Plegia and Ylisse – absolutely! As a matter of fact, the only reason I haven't been releasing some of my own stuff is that my PC broke down about a month ago and I lost everything that was on it. Now that things are (more or less) up and running again, though, I'd definitely like to get back into whatever it is we call call this awesome project. =D

As an aside, I have massive amounts of respect for your self-policy on credit and who gets it. When an individual only does, say, the XML and the "idea" of a mod, then plasters his or her name all over the finished product and uploads it and everything, I find it utterly unfair and disrespectful to the other people who did the harder work (leaderscene, lua, icons, unit/improvement models, civilopedia entries, etc.). All too often, all that those people get is a tiny list at the end of the Workshop mod description noting that they exist and that they did some stuff. I know it doesn't happen out of malice or greed, but it's still my biggest modding-related pet peeve and I find it frustrating and unfair. The point, anyhow, is that it made me happy to read that we share similar views on the matter. So yay!

But I digress. The important part is that I'd very much love to lend a hand however I can! That's what teammates are for. I'll have more time to mod over Spring Break, so I'll have a lot of time to work then. I am optimistic about this project! For Ylisse!

...Also, no hard feelings about disappearing for so long. Really. We've all been there, I'm sure. I'll admit that I procrastinate on my modding to go play Fallout all too often. Also, real-life is important as well. So yeah. No hard feelings at all. =)

...Also, no hard feelings about disappearing for so long. Really. We've all been there, I'm sure. I'll admit that I procrastinate on my modding to go play Fallout all too often. Also, real-life is important as well. So yeah. No hard feelings at all. =)

What he said. I often get distracted from doing my mods too, but it's nothing to feel guilty about. This is a hobby, after all, and you shouldn't get stressed over it. :)

I'm at a low point here. I'm not an experienced enough modder to make these projects as good as they should be, but to ask others for help (i.e. to do the hard work for me) would mean I'm taking majority credit on a project I barely worked on; hell, if I get someone else to do Ferox's Lua, then the only things I would have done would be the XML, suggestions for traits, units, etc., and finding the logo. And I'd still get top billing on the downloads (Workshop, CivFanatics, etc.), since I came up with the idea and had the XML. And I don't like that; it makes it look like I did most of the work, when all I did was file organization. Yes, I'll still credit everyone who helped in the descriptions, but many will still think it's my mod, because I'm the one who uploaded it.

As an aside, I have massive amounts of respect for your self-policy on credit and who gets it. When an individual only does, say, the XML and the "idea" of a mod, then plasters his or her name all over the finished product and uploads it and everything, I find it utterly unfair and disrespectful to the other people who did the harder work (leaderscene, lua, icons, unit/improvement models, civilopedia entries, etc.). All too often, all that those people get is a tiny list at the end of the Workshop mod description noting that they exist and that they did some stuff. I know it doesn't happen out of malice or greed, but it's still my biggest modding-related pet peeve and I find it frustrating and unfair. The point, anyhow, is that it made me happy to read that we share similar views on the matter. So yay!

Just wanted to point out something regarding this: you can certainly add multiple authors/contributors for a file on both the CivFanatics Database and the Steam Workshop, so you can make sure the right people are credited based on how much they contributed (i.e. not just having them at the bottom of the description). I definitely respect your shared stance on the issue, though!

Hey there: new user to Civfanatics, but I've looked around for awhile and have messed around with the code myself a few times.

I noticed that pegasus knights lose the shallow water promotion on Embarkment. I'm assuming this is unintentional, and it's like that because they get the embarkment promotion which prevents them to fly over anymore.

There's a way to let them keep the ability, but unfortunately it would require a bit more modification of the gamefiles.

You assign the Pegasus Knight a new UNITCOMBAT in CombatClass- for now, let's say "UNITCOMBAT_PEGASUS". As you may already know, the way auto-update promotions work is that there a line called "<UnitPromotions_UnitCombats>" which assigns promotions to everyone. Since pegasus would be a new UnitCombat, it wouldn't receive the benefit, or rather non-benefit, of embarkment.

Of course, there's a few glaring drawbacks to this. It means pegasus knights would not benefit from things that require a listed UnitCombat. So Peg. Knights would not get XP from barracks, or promotions from Kilimanjaro, or from the Honor Tree's Discipline, or from Great Lighthouse, or the Incan UA, etc. In order to remedy this, it would require inserting a new row for each possible instance, which would be a lot of work.

Maybe you considered all this already and realized it was too much for an insignificant buff. But hey, just a suggestion :)

EDIT: I thought of a better solution.

There is only one Helicopter unit in the game, the Helicopter Gunship. Despite this, there is a combatclass called Helicopter. You could instead make the Pegasus Knight a helicopter unit, delete the Embarkment promotions from the Helicopter class under UnitPromotions_UnitCombats, then give the Helicopter Gunship a set of new custom promotions which are functionally identical to the Embarkment promotions. The only problem I can see is that you could research the Helicopter Gunship without researching certain Embarkment techs, but that's a ridiculous occurence and might not even be possible because of the way the tree's designed.

Hello! Thanks for your interest and for your incredibly detailed assistance. I appreciate it!

You are correct in that Pegasus Knights are not supposed to embark; we have considered that before but never could find a workaround. However, a few months back, a "Helicopters don't Embark" mod was released on the Workshop, and I looked through its files to see how it worked, and, if I remember correctly, it basically does exactly what you described in your edit. :D

Now it's just a matter of finding the time to update the mod. Since it lives on codefreak's computer and because he was the one to originally upload it, he would have to be the one to publish a new version, not me.

Again, thanks so much for your feedback, and welcome to CivFanatics! This is a wonderful community. If you enjoyed Ylisse, I'd highly recommend that you also check out some of the other C&C modders with years more experience under their belt. There's some great stuff there!

Top Bottom