Codefreak5's Fire Emblem Civilizations

Agh, I got pretty busy after getting the art in, so I didn't have time to reply to all of this at once. Sorry!

I can take a crack at everything except the coding. I know a guy who'd be excellent at getting some civilopedia and diplomacy text up, and I'd be more than happy to help brainstorm Arena and Trait effects.
Awesome. And I'll start coding once we get the basic ideas of the effects up.

I say we put the Arena at +2 exp and, say, 1/8th combat strength gold per turn, just for starters. If that's too complex, and simple +2 gold will work as well. As always, this is just temporary; we can test it for balance later.
Getting a unit's strength is actually pretty easy, since there's already a method for doing so in the game. I like the idea so far.

For a list of some trait effects, which I agree should be expanded as the game progresses, here are a few ideas (mostly militaristic, as befitting Ferox, but not exclusively):

• +X% melee :c5strength: combat strength (duration of Khan's reign)
  • Enter a :c5goldenage: golden age (one-off)
  • +X% of current :c5gold: gold saved up (per turn, and for duration of Khan's reign)
  • +10 :c5happy: happiness (duration of Khan's reign)
  • Free :c5science: tech (one-off)
  • Double influence with all :c5citystate: city-states met (one-off)
  • +X% melee unit :c5production: production (duration of Khan's reign)
  • Feroxi UU spawns in every city (one-off)
  • -50 to 90% unit upgrade :c5gold: costs (duration of Khan's reign)
  • +X% melee defensive bonus (duration of Khan's reign)
  • :c5gold: Gold from kills
  • Double exp from Barracks (duration of Khan's reign)
  • +X city :c5strength: combat strength and +X city HP (duration of Khan's reign)
  • Force peace with the Barbarians (duration of Khan's reign)
  • +X :c5moves: for melee units (duration of Khan's reign)
  • Extra :trade: trade route (duration of Khan's reign)
  • Great General appears (one-off)
  • +:c5food: food in the :c5capital: as 1/4 the :c5strength: strength of garrison (duration of Khan's reign)
  • Free Arena in :c5capital: capital (one-off)
I don't know for sure if we want to include one-offs along with the duration effects, but it may make for some interesting contrast.
Wow. That is a lot of ideas. A lot of them look great, but I am having mixed feelings about the one-offs as well. Some may have to be changed, and some may just have to go. And we'll have to think about which traits are available when - for example, making peace with barbarians should be earlier in the game, when there are more around and making peace would have a greater impact, as opposed to later, when there are almost no free tiles left for barbarians to spawn on.

Also, the original idea was to open up a UI window so for the player to choose which of the two Khans would next assume the throne. To nerf the trait slightly, to represent the unpredictability of the Khan selection process, and, most importantly, to simplify the code, we could totally take away the player selection aspect. The code could choose randomly from the list of Khan effects (excluding those reserved for future eras and those that have already been chosen) and then notify the player accordingly with a pop-up notification, something along the lines of:

"The Great and Powerful Regna Ferox has held a tournament in Castle Ferox! After a epic and suspenseful battle, the new Khan of Regna Ferox has been decided: 'MadeUpKhanName' of "ProxyCityOrPlaceName!'"

And then the trait description would go underneath that. =)
I'm still not sure how many turns should pass between tournaments, but it should definitely change depending on the game speed.

Another great idea. It shouldn't be too hard to implement, either.
I think to begin with, there should be a 30-turn wait period between tournaments, and then the wait could shorten as time goes by.

Hey. I've been following this thread for a while and I wanna say that it seems awesome.
Thank you! I had "awesome" in mind when I started this project nearly a year ago. It hasn't exactly turned out that way, but it's getting there.

Is it possible to make sure that a trait effect wouldn't repeat itself twice in a row? Cause that would be quite annoying or boring if it would.
Probably. Though if a game went on long enough, the traits would eventually have to start repeating, or else there would either be no traits, or there would be some sort of error.

Also I think I could help with the Civilopedia and DOM entries. I have a nice amount of knowledge in the lore of Fire Emblem and I'm quite good at writing.
That will help tremendously. Kiang said he knew a guy who could also help with this - if you're not him, then it's possible you can work with him on this. We'll see what Kiang says about it first.

I'm also studying C# but I don't think there's anything I can do to help with coding.
Civ uses Lua for coding, which has some similarities to a bunch of other coding languages. I came to Lua from Java, and it was easy enough to pick up for me. If you know basic coding logic, look at a few existing scripts to learn the syntax, and keep the Modiki on hand for methods, then you can write a Lua script for Civ.

One idea I'd considered was that the Arena could generate gold equivalent to the level of the unit stationed there, so putting a veteran unit in the Arena would generate more gold -- who wouldn't want to go see some famous veterans fight? :p But it depends on whether or not you want your vets hanging out in your cities... although it could be a good excuse to rotate them off the front lines for some R&R?
Perhaps, perhaps. Either this, or Kiang's strength-scaling idea are good ideas.

I'm still worried about arena abuse, though - don't want to have units just hanging out in cities, getting free XP and gold for nothing all the time. Maybe if there was a turn-based arena cooldown for each unit which prevents them from getting the bonuses or something...

Most of those ideas you listed look relatively easy to implement, although I'm not sure you can force a peace with barbarians...
The barbarians count as another Civ to the game, though they has unique aspects (constantly warring with all other civs and city-states, no leader, no diplomacy, encampments instead of cities, no settlers, etc.). There's a method in the game that allows one civ to be at peace with another - it's used in-game for peace treaties - and putting the Barbarian civ into it manually would theoretically allow a civ to be at peace with them.
Whether or not it sticks, I don't know yet... I haven't actually tested that out.

Wow. That is a lot of ideas. A lot of them look great, but I am having mixed feelings about the one-offs as well. Some may have to be changed, and some may just have to go. And we'll have to think about which traits are available when - for example, making peace with barbarians should be earlier in the game, when there are more around and making peace would have a greater impact, as opposed to later, when there are almost no free tiles left for barbarians to spawn on.

Haha, yeah, I agree. I was just brainstorming; obviously, this is to list is no masterpiece, just a starting point from which we can develop a wider selection of better trait ideas. I also threw in a few that would clearly be far more effective when limited to a specific era (or two). The Feroxi UU Spawn was an example, as were the Cheap Unit Upgrade and Barbarian-Peace ideas. Speaking of peace with the barbarians, I do know that it's possible – bane_ accomplished it in one of his unreleased mods. You'd have to ask him how he did it, as well all know that my Lua skills are rudimentary at best.

I think to begin with, there should be a 30-turn wait period between tournaments, and then the wait could shorten as time goes by.

Sure. Like the World Congress, and it also reflects how time "slows down" towards the end of a Civ game. I still think that we should adjust it for game speed, though - 30 turns on Marathon is about the time it takes to get a unit or two, and maybe a building if you're lucky (last I recall, I usually play Quick or Standard).

Thank you! I had "awesome" in mind when I started this project nearly a year ago. It hasn't exactly turned out that way, but it's getting there.

It hasn't exactly turned out that way

Not with that attitude, it won't! =D
This thread IS awesome. Already. Believing so can only help to make it more so.
And thanks, TheSuperDodo! For more Fire Emblem, there are also the civs by PMF (sadly absent for awhile :() and myself (#shamelesselfadvertisement)! =)

Probably. Though if a game went on long enough, the traits would eventually have to start repeating, or else there would either be no traits, or there would be some sort of error.

I agree. That said, I'm willing to take the challenge of thinking up enough traits to last an entire Marathon game, thus eliminating the need for repetition.

That will help tremendously. Kiang said he knew a guy who could also help with this - if you're not him, then it's possible you can work with him on this. We'll see what Kiang says about it first.

I do know a guy, and he has helped me tremendously in the past. To be completely honest, I'm somewhat torn. I know that my friend will do an excellent job, yet I don't want to discourage enthusiasm or assistance. And plus, I haven't even given you a fair chance! Maybe you'll do an even excellent-er job! =D
Tell you what - if you could get us a DOM speech and the main Regna Ferox entry, that would be totally fantastic. It's a lot of text, especially the main civ entry, so we really appreciate the help. I'll contact my buddy for what text remains. Again, thanks so much for the support, encouragement, and offer to help! =)

Perhaps, perhaps. Either this, or Kiang's strength-scaling idea are good ideas.

Assuming either of you can code it, I would definitely be in favor of bouncymischa's idea. Even at one-eighth combat strength, a single Modern Armor could generate a whopping 12.5 :c5gold: gold per turn in any city with an arena. Couple this with the wide playstyle that would be historically befitting of Regna Ferox, and good ol' Basilio and Flavia will be swimming in gold.

I'm still worried about arena abuse, though - don't want to have units just hanging out in cities, getting free XP and gold for nothing all the time. Maybe if there was a turn-based arena cooldown for each unit which prevents them from getting the bonuses or something...

A "fight in arena" button with a cooldown period is certainly possible (ViceVirtuoso did it in his Saints Row civ), but it'd a lot of extra work. While definitely ideal, it'd result in a lot of extra work for you. If you're up to it, though, I say go for it! =)

There's a method in the game that allows one civ to be at peace with another - it's used in-game for peace treaties - and putting the Barbarian civ into it manually would theoretically allow a civ to be at peace with them.
Whether or not it sticks, I don't know yet... I haven't actually tested that out.

There is a way... somehow... we must ask bane_... xD

As a closing statement, I need some Gallia feedback (#shamelessselfpromotion). The leader and UUs are set in stone, as I already made the icons for them, and I quite like them. =3
Here's what I have so far:

Gallia - Caineghis

Untitled (UA): All units ignore terrain costs.
Lion (UU): Replaces the Great General. May attack and defend as a regular melee unit, and has combat strength equal to that of the weakest melee unit of the next era.
Cat (UU): Replaces the Horseman, but is slightly weaker. Requires no horses and is invisible to enemy units not adjacent to it.

Let's not focus, for now, on the nonsensicality of the Laguz needing horses to upgrade Cats into Knights, or needing Iron for their swordsmen. It's Civ, not Fire Emblem, so some liberties will have to be taken and there will have to be some willing suspension of disbelief. I'd like to save the blanket "is a Laguz nation" trait (which would eliminate the need for iron or horses for land units and provide some sort of bonus to unimproved animal resources) for a future Tellius scenario, where I can get a little more complicated with the rules. Anything other feedback, though, like about effect or even a possible Trait name, would be quite welcome. Thanks! =)

(not asking on my own thread because I'm too lazy to switch threads and start another post)

So I wrote a nice little DOM speech. I think it's quite nice. There isn't that much information about Regna Ferox though so writing a full length Civiliopedia entry could be quite a challenge.
Anyway, I attached the DOM speech as a .doc file here. Give feedback and change as you see fit :goodjob:

Attachments

• RegnaFeroxDOM.doc
    12 KB · Views: 184
Haha, yeah, I agree. I was just brainstorming; obviously, this is to list is no masterpiece, just a starting point from which we can develop a wider selection of better trait ideas. I also threw in a few that would clearly be far more effective when limited to a specific era (or two). The Feroxi UU Spawn was an example, as were the Cheap Unit Upgrade and Barbarian-Peace ideas. Speaking of peace with the barbarians, I do know that it's possible – bane_ accomplished it in one of his unreleased mods. You'd have to ask him how he did it, as well all know that my Lua skills are rudimentary at best.
Of course, of course. This is a very good starting point, and I really appreciate you taking the time to come up with these.
As for barbarian peace, I'm fairly certain I've got it covered, though it wouldn't hurt for you to send the file over anyway, just so I can take a look at it.

Sure. Like the World Congress, and it also reflects how time "slows down" towards the end of a Civ game. I still think that we should adjust it for game speed, though - 30 turns on Marathon is about the time it takes to get a unit or two, and maybe a building if you're lucky (last I recall, I usually play Quick or Standard).
The World Congress is what I was thinking when I suggested that. Adjusting for game speed is also a good idea, though it may take a lot of testing to get exactly right.

Not with that attitude, it won't! =D
This thread IS awesome. Already. Believing so can only help to make it more so.
Looking back on it, yeah, it is awesome. It started as me wanting to make a Fire Emblem civ, because there weren't any and I had just learned how to mod, and it's ended up inspiring at least two other people to make their own FE civs while also gaining the support of hundreds of other people.
So, the idea of the whole thing has been awesome. However, some of the execution has not; Ylisse is actually pretty rough, and I'm surprised it's as popular is it is. Plegia was a big improvement, but still not perfect. That's where the "not quite awesome" part comes in.

I agree. That said, I'm willing to take the challenge of thinking up enough traits to last an entire Marathon game, thus eliminating the need for repetition.
If you're sure about it, then go ahead. I'll be here to help narrow down and improve any ideas you pitch.

Assuming either of you can code it, I would definitely be in favor of bouncymischa's idea. Even at one-eighth combat strength, a single Modern Armor could generate a whopping 12.5 :c5gold: gold per turn in any city with an arena. Couple this with the wide playstyle that would be historically befitting of Regna Ferox, and good ol' Basilio and Flavia will be swimming in gold.
It's entirely possible to do; in fact, I just did it, and tested it, and it works.

A "fight in arena" button with a cooldown period is certainly possible (ViceVirtuoso did it in his Saints Row civ), but it'd a lot of extra work. While definitely ideal, it'd result in a lot of extra work for you. If you're up to it, though, I say go for it! =)
Hoo, boy, UI editing. Haven't done this before. I can probably do it if I look at that Saints Row civ, or something similar, though. It will probably take some time.

There is a way... somehow... we must ask bane_... xD
It's possible, I know it is. I just haven't tested it yet.

As a closing statement, I need some Gallia feedback (#shamelessselfpromotion).
(not asking on my own thread because I'm too lazy to switch threads and start another post)
At least you got KIdanor to not be lazy for you. Top notch work, KId. You're a boon to lazy forumites and Civ modders everywhere.

So I wrote a nice little DOM speech. I think it's quite nice. There isn't that much information about Regna Ferox though so writing a full length Civiliopedia entry could be quite a challenge.
Anyway, I attached the DOM speech as a .doc file here. Give feedback and change as you see fit :goodjob:
That's excellent. I can't see a thing that needs changed. Thank you very much!

I believe this is it. All credit goes to bane_. If you have it figured out on your own, that's fantastic, because this is from an unreleased civ, and I don't want it to seem like we're "stealing" anything. But I believe this is how he did it.

Code:
function GeisericLoveBarbs(iPlayer)
	print("GeisericLoveBarbs")
	if Game:GetElapsedGameTurns() >= 1 then
		local pPlayer = Players[iPlayer]
		if pPlayer:GetCivilizationType() == GameInfoTypes["CIVILIZATION_BANE_BARBARIAN"] then
			local pGeisericTeam = Teams[pPlayer:GetTeam()]
			pGeisericTeam:MakePeace(63)
		end
	else
		for i=0, GameDefines.MAX_MAJOR_CIVS-1, 1 do
			local pPlayer = Players[i]
			if pPlayer:GetCivilizationType() == GameInfoTypes["CIVILIZATION_BANE_BARBARIAN"] then
			end
		end
	end
end

GameEvents.PlayerDoTurn.Add(GeisericLoveBarbs)

So, the idea of the whole thing has been awesome. However, some of the execution has not; Ylisse is actually pretty rough, and I'm surprised it's as popular is it is. Plegia was a big improvement, but still not perfect. That's where the "not quite awesome" part comes in.

I know, I was just being overly optimistic. xP

If you're sure about it, then go ahead. I'll be here to help narrow down and improve any ideas you pitch.

Great, thanks.

Hoo, boy, UI editing. Haven't done this before. I can probably do it if I look at that Saints Row civ, or something similar, though. It will probably take some time.

We can always change the Arena later if we don't like it or know we can improve on it. For now, we'd better just play it safe, lest we get hung up on the UI effect and it ends up delaying the whole mod.

At least you got KIdanor to not be lazy for you. Top notch work, KId. You're a boon to lazy forumites and Civ modders everywhere.

Heh... heheh... sorry about that. It was late. :D

Last but not least, very nice work, SuperDodo! =D
My main man is super busy at the moment, and the DOM is quite nice, so as far as I"m concerned, the "job" is all yours. Thanks so much for your help!

I believe this is it. All credit goes to bane_. If you have it figured out on your own, that's fantastic, because this is from an unreleased civ, and I don't want it to seem like we're "stealing" anything. But I believe this is how he did it.

Ah-ha... I figured it'd be something like that. I just wasn't sure if there was something coded into the DLL that made it impossible to actually make peace.

From the looks of it, though, it does seem like the Barbarians will try to declare war every turn, as the function forces them to make peace every turn. I did wonder if the barbs would ever become hostile again if you forced them to make peace once; this would suggest you have to keep the effect going for as long as you want it, which makes it pretty suitable for a Khan trait. "As long as I'm Khan, you're at peace. After that, you're on your own!"

We can always change the Arena later if we don't like it or know we can improve on it. For now, we'd better just play it safe, lest we get hung up on the UI effect and it ends up delaying the whole mod.

I haven't looked at the code for the Saint's Row ability, but if it's coded like the other mission buttons he's done before, the UI part itself shouldn't be too hard. Now that I've been playing around with Events and Decisions for my civs to go along with sukritact's mod, I can see how ViceVirtuoso's mission UI code is rather similar. The tricky part, I imagine, would be implementing the cooldown period, as you'd have to persistently track which units had fought in which cities, probably using either SaveUtils or the tablesaver utility.

For now, just implementing a version which fires at the start of the turn and checks cities for Arenas and units stationed there would be easiest. Given that the AI typically can't see user-defined mission buttons, you might need that code for an AI version of the civ anyways.

That's excellent. I can't see a thing that needs changed. Thank you very much!
You're welcome! Glad to help =)
My main man is super busy at the moment, and the DOM is quite nice, so as far as I"m concerned, the "job" is all yours. Thanks so much for your help!
No, thank you for accepting me ^_^ I'll try to help as much as I can, what with school and Hyrule Warriors :p

Code:
function GeisericLoveBarbs(iPlayer)
	print("GeisericLoveBarbs")
	if Game:GetElapsedGameTurns() >= 1 then
		local pPlayer = Players[iPlayer]
		end
	else
		for i=0, GameDefines.MAX_MAJOR_CIVS-1, 1 do
			local pPlayer = Players[i]
			end
		end
	end
end

GameEvents.PlayerDoTurn.Add(GeisericLoveBarbs)

Ah, thanks. I'll try not to completely copy this code for the civ; I'll just use it as a guide to make the Barbarian Peace trait. It may wind up being similar anyway, though, since several of the methods are required no matter how I write the code.

Alright, sounds good to me.

Heh... heheh... sorry about that. It was late. :D!
No worries. I was just poking fun with that comment anyway.

For now, just implementing a version which fires at the start of the turn and checks cities for Arenas and units stationed there would be easiest. Given that the AI typically can't see user-defined mission buttons, you might need that code for an AI version of the civ anyways.
I've already got that code, actually. It's being used in the current version, and it's the easiest way to test out tweaks to the Arena bonuses..

Awesome, looks like everything is coming along. Since the XML is on your computer, and since I'm not much help on the Lua front, I'll just get working on the map and leaderscene, unless you can think of anything else for me to do. =)

Well. I kind of let this project die for over a month. It was a complete accident; I apologize. My life got a little hectic. I'm sorry that I didn't even leave a quick message here letting people know how busy I was.

Anyway, I'd like to continue working on this mod now, assuming everyone here is still up for it. I tried to do a bit of work here and there, but I honestly haven't made much progress in the past month. Maybe a bit of trying to code things and some balance brainstorming, but otherwise, nothing.

I did have an idea for the Arena, though; instead of individual units having to wait a few turns to get the arena's bonus, and being able to cycle units in and out each turn for a continuous stream of gold and XP, I thought that maybe the arena could only provide that bonus once every few turns - that is, the cooldown effectively moves from the units to the arenas. This could lower the possibility of abusing the free XP and gold bonuses, though it may make its unique bonus less effective - but this could possibly be mitigated by having larger bonuses. An XP cap could also prevent your units from becoming too overpowered outside of actual combat; once a unit reaches a certain level of XP, they stop gaining XP from arenas, just like Barbarian kills don't net XP for units at or above 30 XP.

How's everyone else been? Has there been any progress on your end?

Heyo!

I've been busy as well, but not having any art left for this project (I think) that hasn't really been an issue. If you need me to do anything, though, just let me know! Right now I'm pretty idle. :)

As for the arena idea, I say go for it! As long as you can code it. My lua is messy at best.

Hi. I really love what you've been doing, and I'd like to help make this be even more amazing. But I don't really have any help to offer other than suggestions!

I think that, instead of making a Shrine/Statue of Naga, you should do something a little more true or referring to the content of the game...
`````````````````````````````````````
- What about a unique unit replacing Great Generals with stronger variants called "Tactician"? The bonuses a Tactician would possess over Great General relate to exploitation of strategic advantages; for example, flanking bonuses or terrain bonuses are increased.

- There is some emphasis on the grandeur of Ylisstol's palace, so maybe you could somehow implement Palace bonuses.

- A unique building, Shepherd's Barracks, that replaces Barracks. Instead of granting 15 bonus XP from the getgo, all units created are given a bonus that consistently grants 1 bonus XP per turn (2 during war.)

- Unique building that replaces Market that has something to do with Anna's traveling wares. Idk

Just some ideas that might open someone's mind a little.

Hi. I really love what you've been doing, and I'd like to help make this be even more amazing. But I don't really have any help to offer other than suggestions!
Suggestions are always helpful! It's always great to hear what people think would improve these mods.

I think that, instead of making a Shrine/Statue of Naga, you should do something a little more true or referring to the content of the game...
Yeah, the Shrine/Statue was a bit of a cop-out of a building. I was in a bit of a rush to make find uniques and make the civ, and I didn't want two UUs - that wouldn't have fit with Emmeryn, because she's a woman of peace. With almost nothing fitting to take from the game, I fell back on the country's cornerstone religion, Nagaism, and tried to build something out of that. My lack of experience and rush made it turn out poorly.

- What about a unique unit replacing Great Generals with stronger variants called "Tactician"? The bonuses a Tactician would possess over Great General relate to exploitation of strategic advantages; for example, flanking bonuses or terrain bonuses are increased.
It's a good idea, but I don't think having a second UU would fit with Emmeryn's peaceful nature. This civ is supposed to focus more on diplomacy rather than combat.

- There is some emphasis on the grandeur of Ylisstol's palace, so maybe you could somehow implement Palace bonuses.
Palace bonuses are implementable. A happiness bonus could be part of the rebalanced trait, I suppose.

- A unique building, Shepherd's Barracks, that replaces Barracks. Instead of granting 15 bonus XP from the getgo, all units created are given a bonus that consistently grants 1 bonus XP per turn (2 during war.)
Once again, a military building wouldn't fit well with Emmeryn. Also, it's effect is rather unbalanced. You units could become much more powerful than every other civ's military just by waiting around, while they're forced to train on barbarians and each others' units.
However, I have considered using the Shepherd's Garrison for another project. I won't go into specifics right now; I want it to be a surprise, at least until Regna Ferox is finished.

- Unique building that replaces Market that has something to do with Anna's traveling wares.
That may work better as a Caravan replacement, though that's BNW-exclusive. As a building, it could generate more gold per turn, and possibly grant you one additional resource - luxury or strategic - for a set amount of turns. It could work well if done right.

Thank you for your suggestions! While I don't believe some of them would work with Ylisse, they're good ideas all the same, and I may be able to use them elsewhere. I hope you continue to enjoy these mods!

It's a good idea, but I don't think having a second UU would fit with Emmeryn's peaceful nature. This civ is supposed to focus more on diplomacy rather than combat.

What about some kind of Diplomat or Ambassador UU, replacing the Great Merchant? I know JFD recently revised his Holy Roman Empire civ to have an Ambassador UU that replaces the Great Merchant.

What about some kind of Diplomat or Ambassador UU, replacing the Great Merchant?

I like this idea of Ylisse having Ambassadors or Diplomats. The Lua wouldn't be too difficult for it, either, I don't think. The only issue may be justifying it with canon, though; although Ylisse certainly would have diplomats, like any good nation, all of the diplomacy shown in the game has Chrom and Robin as the diplomats (and Chrom is a terrible diplomat). But hey, even if we can't link it directly to canon sources, we still may be able to pass off Robin as a diplomat of sorts. I dunno. :D

Once again, a military building wouldn't fit well with Emmeryn.

So I wouldn't rule them out militaristic uniques out entirely; even though Ylisse is supposed to be diplomatic and peaceful, I think that a strong military unit or building would be a nice fit if it were defense-oriented and implemented with care. =)

What about some kind of Diplomat or Ambassador UU, replacing the Great Merchant? I know JFD recently revised his Holy Roman Empire civ to have an Ambassador UU that replaces the Great Merchant.

I like this idea of Ylisse having Ambassadors or Diplomats. The Lua wouldn't be too difficult for it, either, I don't think. The only issue may be justifying it with canon, though; although Ylisse certainly would have diplomats, like any good nation, all of the diplomacy shown in the game has Chrom and Robin as the diplomats (and Chrom is a terrible diplomat). But hey, even if we can't link it directly to canon sources, we still may be able to pass off Robin as a diplomat of sorts. I dunno. :D

Well, yeah, that's a possibility, but I am a little worried about taking an idea from another mod. Would we be allowed to use the idea? Would we have to credit JFD, or even ask him for its use? I don't want it to seem like I'm stealing ideas - people get rather angry when that happens.

As for canon justification, I believe it was mentioned that Emmeryn met with leaders/representatives from other countries - at least, she planned to meet with Flavia at the beginning, but decided to stay in Ylisse to help calm her people in the presence of the Risen, and passed the job off to Chrom. She also chose to meet with Gangrel in Chapter 5, though that may be a special case since he requested to meet with her directly. No "proper" diplomats were mentioned or seen in the game, but I don't think it would be terribly inaccurate to say that a country of Ylisse's size would have diplomats to maintain international relations and perform minor diplomatic duties that don't require the Exalt's presence or involvement.

So I wouldn't rule them out militaristic uniques out entirely; even though Ylisse is supposed to be diplomatic and peaceful, I think that a strong military unit or building would be a nice fit if it were defense-oriented and implemented with care. =)

Defense-oriented... why didn't I think of that sooner? It would make sense that Emmeryn would want to guard her people rather than attack other nations...

I'll look through the military buildings, see what might be a good fit. The Walls of Babylon are already a thing, so making another Walls replacement would be lame, and I'm already reserving the Shepherd's Garrison for something else. There are a few other buildings in the Classical-Renaissance period, so there's got to be something that fits.

Well, yeah, that's a possibility, but I am a little worried about taking an idea from another mod. Would we be allowed to use the idea? Would we have to credit JFD, or even ask him for its use? I don't want it to seem like I'm stealing ideas - people get rather angry when that happens.

As for canon justification, I believe it was mentioned that Emmeryn met with leaders/representatives from other countries - at least, she planned to meet with Flavia at the beginning, but decided to stay in Ylisse to help calm her people in the presence of the Risen, and passed the job off to Chrom. She also chose to meet with Gangrel in Chapter 5, though that may be a special case since he requested to meet with her directly. No "proper" diplomats were mentioned or seen in the game, but I don't think it would be terribly inaccurate to say that a country of Ylisse's size would have diplomats to maintain international relations and perform minor diplomatic duties that don't require the Exalt's presence or involvement.

Personally, I don't think there'd be too much issue with it, unless you wanted Ylisse's Ambassadors to be very similar to the HRE Ambassadors. JFD's Ambassadors are a Great Merchant replacement that can be upgraded to a Great Ambassador, which in turn has some unique functions, such as being able to convert a puppet city into a Free City for the Holy Roman Empire, or something like that. On the other hand, you could create an Ambassador unit that did something completely different, like writing a Political Treatise like a Great Writer, or having a special mission it could conduct in City States to gives you an extra vote in the World Congress, or whatever.

The general concept of "an Ambassador UU that replaces a Great Merchant" is pretty generic, particularly since the Great Merchant is the best candidate for that sort of UU since it already has a mission it can carry out with city states to gain influence. So as long as the Ylisse Ambassador was relatively distinctive I don't imagine there'd be any issues. If you wanted, you could simply poke around in a thesaurus for an alternative term to "ambassador" or "diplomat" if you wanted something more distinctive, like "envoy", "mediator", or "plenipotentiary"... :p

Well, if the thread is back, I guess I'll show you what I've got. This is the Civiliopedia entry for Regna Ferox.
There actually isn't much information on the kingdom in the game so I had to look through all the in-game entries and the Chapters that occur within Regna Ferox to write this, and even then there isn't that much.

Attachments

• RegnaFeroxCivilopedia.doc
    14.5 KB · Views: 374
Top Bottom