College Football

"7. Oregon @ Oregon State - 30-27"

ONE BLEEPING POINT! Ahhh, Oregon went for the two, thats why that happened! :lol:

South Florida 24, WVU 19. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Azale said:
Using NCAA Football 2007, I have set up a playoff bracket based on my own personal predictions. I played the games on simulation, CPU vs. CPU, and the results I got were pretty astonishing and fun to watch. There were 7 games, with 2 of them being hosted by the lesser bowls. My idea here is that those 2 games would be rotated among the lesser bowl sponsers, along with the rotation among the "Big Four". This is thier story...

Holiday Bowl

#1 Ohio State Buckeyes: 23
#8 Boise State Broncos: 14

Fiesta Bowl

#4 Notre Dame Fighting Irish: 21
#5 LSU Tigers: 66 (!)

Rose Bowl

#3 Michigan Wolverines: 13
#6 West Virginia Mountaineers: 17

Cotton Bowl

#2 Florida Gators: 17
#7 Louisville Cardinals: 21

Sugar Bowl

#1 Ohio State Buckeyes: 13
#5 LSU Tigers: 27

Orange Bowl

#6 West Virginia Mountaineers: 23
#7 Louisville Cardinals: 27

BCS National Championship Game

#5 LSU Tigers: 17
#7 Louisville Cardinals: 24

Why is there so much opposition to such a playoff system? Is it because it could lead to the best team in the country not being National Champion? Or simply that traditions don't die easily?

pboily said:
Why is there so much opposition to such a playoff system? Is it because it could lead to the best team in the country not being National Champion? Or simply that traditions don't die easily?

Majority of coaches & presidents don't want it. Current sysrem rewards the average team , a playoff rewards the superior teams.

There's something about the current bowl system that's just nice. Playing in a major bowl and winning is a very good season. This way, half the teams end their season with a win, while with a playoff, all but one do. Unless there are at least three undefeated teams, no one should have any complaints about the national championship -- you had your chance and you missed it. A playoff would take away from the "last game of the year" feeling that bowl games have.

Besides, the point is that the team with the best season is the champion, not the best team. The way it is now, every week and every game matters.

Established bowls don't want their games being "relegated" to a quarterfinal or a semifinal playoff game and lose their uniqueness.

Of course, that's about all we can say about bowls such as the Humanitarian or the Poland Weedwacker bowl. They're unique.

Poulan Weedeater. Dammit.

Anyway, I agree that a playoff should be as limited as possible while still providing an undisputed national champion, which is why I like my play-in idea (shameless plug). It is nice that the current system allows for a large number of teams to have a 'good' year that ends well, while a playoff system guarantees that all the best teams but one will have a year that ends badly. OTOH, there are a lot of teams that make the NCAA basketball playoffs and don't feel bad about losing that last game :dunno:

I guess it's just my naturally conservative nature: Keep things status quo until there's a problem, then fix the actual problem, don't just go revamping things willy-nilly.

Oh, and South Carolina won. Fortunately, so did WVU. That means Alabama is still likely to make a bowl, since the odds of two SEC teams in the BCS is now very high . . .

@pboily, it's about saving the sponsors. If you can convince them that a playoff would still be good for them, then they would be more likely to approve it. They would still rotate selection, like some would get a big semi matchup if they wanted it, while the lower tier bowls who are rotated in would be thrilled with an OSU-Boise matchup. It provides the same bowl revenue, but with adding meaning on top of it to increase viewer turnout no matter the teams.

Do not kid yourselves guys. Bowl serve only the purpose of lining thier owners pockets. They do not care who is most deserving, only who can bring them the most money. THAT is why, since USC won and will beat UCLA, you will see a slightly above average Cal team JUMP Arkansas/Florida and go to the Rose Bowl. They want thier stupid Big 10/PAC 10 game. Either that, or they will take a very very overrated Notre Dame team, who's signature win is over Georgia Tech. The ND thing is actually more likely to happen since Cal needs to get to 16 somehow, which is very unlikely right now.

The bowl matchups are shaping up to be pretty ugly, at least the major ones. Who gives a care if the current bowls are "devalued", they already have been and will be! At least this way, each bowl WOULD mean something! If your put every conference champion in there and then put in remaining teams based on BCS record, then that completely ups the value of the conference title games. Right now, you have the possibility of a stupid rematch, from a second place team. What was the result last time? Oh yea, a blowout!

Oregon got jumped by Notre Dame, which was completely unfair to the Ducks. Cal got jumped by Texas, completely unfair to Cal. Utah and Auburn both got screwed in 2004. Colorado and Oregot screwed the year before. Florida looks to be screwed, and Arkansas might not get a bowl game because of stupid Bowl matchups. I'm tired of this stupid system.

Now, let's look at the title game. The voters will be voting for a matchup. I'm hearing it so often now. Your forced into either voting for a rematch of a game we've already seen, or a team you feel may be less worthy (which is not true, considering Michigan's quality wins are not anywhere close to USC's). Florida won't get enough "style points", another ridiculous side effect of this. Rutgers never had a chance, even if they went undefeated. It's all so frustrating and orchestrated for ONLY the big schools.

Then you have traditionalists who try to argue that you have to "earn your way". Screw that, these smaller schools only have so much money. They can't recruit and sustain great seasons every year, especially because thier great coaches move on to bigger schools very frequently. If they go undefeated, they deserve that big money game or a shot at a bigger money game to propel them! Otherwise, you have the vicious cycle of the usual players every year. I for one, am glad to see the downfall of Miami and FSU. Miami especially, who has completely neglected thier facilities and is now suffering from out of state recruiting, the slight resurgence of UCF under George O' Leary, and USF which is the biggest school in the state. Do not let these schools stock up on so much talent, like Miami did this year, that the players think they are ENTITLED to win. Make them earn it and you will see a much better game.

*end rant*

Ok, assuming WVU beats Rutgers and USC beats UCLA, here's how the bowl game should shake out.

Rose Bowl: Michigan vs. Notre Dame
Sugar Bowl: Florida/Arkansas vs. Louisville
Orange Bowl: Wake/Georgia Tech vs. Arkansas/Florida
Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma/Nebraska vs. Boise State

BCS NC Game: Ohio State vs. USC

This will happen even if ND finishes out of the top 8, due to the teams infront of them being third place or worse. Cal might have a chance if Arkansas, Georgia Tech, Oklahoma finished behind them. Could happen, likely will not happen which is good in my book.

Oh, and the game of the day was the Holy War. Wish I could have seen the whole thing.

All I'm sayin' is, don't discount UCLA. They'll give the Trojans more of a game than Notre Dame did.

Did you guys see that Holy War? Maaan, ESPN Classic. Jeff Beck is amazing, and he'll make an NFL team very happy.

We also all know that university presidents will never allow a playoff. OSU will rape the Trojans, and we'll go back to another off season of complaining about the system

So, trying to put all these reasons in one post we have:

#1] Sponsors will pull money from NCAA --theres 32 bowl games and if condenced to 16 or 24 games, 16-32 sponsors will out of work--and their money.

#2] College presidents unwiilling--Lets face it, if the presidents wanted it, we would have it, its that simple. But the $500,000 from the GM nosepicker bowl for your 6-5 season helps balance that unbalanced athletic dept. budget.

#3] the coach are against it--YES, MOST coaches are against it, I'm not talking the Ohio St, USC, Notre Dames,Florida ,ect...They know they will be in the top 16 or 25. Its the Boston Colleges, Purdues, Oregons,ect.... who are against it. A Kentucky coach goes 6-5, 3 straight years and goes bowling --he has job security. In a playoff system the same coach is fired for failing to porduce a winner. In the bowl system theirs 64 out of 119 teams bowling, thus hope for the average team for a bowl. Theres more average teans than good, so theres more average coaches not in favor of a system ( playoff ) thats going to hurt them.

The Latest RF poll (darn you Hawai'i for having such a late game!)
1. Ohio State
2. USC
3. Michigan
4. Florida
5. Wisconsin
6. Oklahoma
7. Louisville
8. Boise State
9. BYU
10. Rutgers
11. LSU
12. Arkansas
13. Virginia Tech
14. Wake Forest
15. Notre Dame
16. Nebraska
17. Texas A&M
18. Auburn
19. Texas
20. West Virginia
21. Hawai'i
22. Boston College
23. Tennessee
24. California
25. Oregon State

Last week's results:
Ummm...: 3-5
RF: 5-3 (+1 for bonus to make it 6-3)
Augurey: 6-2
Azale: 3-5
LLLLLXerxes: 4-4
tcjsavannah: 6-2 (+1 for bonus to make it 7-2)
Arminius: 0-8 (wow)
Tomoyo: 3-5
AlCosta: 7-1

This week's Results:
RF: 5-5
tcjsavannah: 5-5
Tomoyo: 5-5 (prechanges) 2-8 (post-changes)
LLXerxes: 5-5
AlCosta: 5-5
Augurey: 4-6
Azale: 4-6
Irish Caesar: 0-1

Not a single person broke .500, that is shocking.

Totals:
Umm...: 3-5
RF: 11-8
Aug: 10-8
Azale: 7-11
LLX: 9-9
TCJ: 11-7
Arminius: 0-8
Tomoyo: 8-10
Irish Caesar: 0-1

Nov. 30 Thu. Central Michigan vs. Ohio 7:30 p.m. ESPN
Dec. 1 Fri. Houston vs. Southern Miss 8:00 p.m. ESPN2
Dec. 2 Sat. GA Tech vs. Wake Forest 1:00 p.m. ABC
Dec. 2 Sat. Army vs. Navy (Philadelphia) 2:30 p.m. CBS
Dec. 2 Sat. Stanford @ California 3:00 p.m. FSN
Dec. 2 Sat. Southern California @ UCLA 4:30 p.m. ABC
Dec. 2 Sat. Air Force @ TCU 4:30 p.m. CSTV
Dec. 2 Sat. Florida vs. Arkansas 6:00 p.m. CBS
Dec. 2 Sat. Nebraska vs. Oklahoma 8:00 p.m. ABC
Dec. 2 Sat. Oregon State @ Hawaii 11:00 p.m. ESPN2
Dec. 2 Sat. Connecticut @ Louisville TBD ESPN or ESPN2
Dec. 2 Sat. Rutgers @ West Virginia TBD ESPN or ESPN2

This week's pick'em:

1. Central Michigan vs. Ohio
2. Houston vs. Southern Miss
3. Georgia Tech vs. Wake Forest
4. Army vs. Navy
5. Florida vs. Arkansas
6. Nebraska vs. Oklahoma
7. Oregon State vs. Hawai'i
8. Rutgers vs. West Virginia

1. Ohio 21 - Central Michigan 14
2. Houston 22 - Southern Miss 13
3. Georgia Tech 24 - Wake Forest 14
4. Navy 28 - Army 20
5. Arkansas 27 - Florida 20
6. Nebraska 28 - Oklahoma 27
7. Hawai'i 35 - Oregon 21
8. Rutgers 27 - West Virginia 24

1. Ohio 17 - Central Michigan 7
2. Houston 34 - Southern Miss 31
3. Wake Forest 28 - Georgia Tech 7
4. Navy 35 - Army 7
5. Arkansas 25 - Florida 20
6. Oklahoma 30 - Nebraska 28
7. Oregon State 40 - Hawai'i 35
8. West Virginia 34 - Rutgers 24

Ok, assuming WVU beats Rutgers and USC beats UCLA, here's how the bowl game should shake out.

Rose Bowl: Michigan vs. Notre Dame
Sugar Bowl: Florida/Arkansas vs. Louisville
Orange Bowl: Wake/Georgia Tech vs. Arkansas/Florida
Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma/Nebraska vs. Boise State

BCS NC Game: Ohio State vs. USC

This will happen even if ND finishes out of the top 8, due to the teams infront of them being third place or worse. Cal might have a chance if Arkansas, Georgia Tech, Oklahoma finished behind them. Could happen, likely will not happen which is good in my book.

Oh, and the game of the day was the Holy War. Wish I could have seen the whole thing.

Disagree with you on two of your bowl projections. First, I don't think there is a chance if hel that the Irish go to the Rose for a rematch with Michigan. The Irish got the pants knocked off them on their own turf earlier this year and I doubt the Rose Bowl committee would want to have that happen again in their bowl. More likely they look to the SEC runner-up (or LSU if Arky loses the CG) or possibly a 1-loss Louisville team.

Second, if Arkansas loses the CG there is no way they go to a BCS bowl. At that point they will have three loses and it would be hard to justify them going over a 2 loss LSU team or even a 1 loss Louisville team (if Rutgers beats WVU).

And on the Holy War...I just wish I could have seen the game, my cable operator doesn't carry CSTV right now:sad:

New USA Poll:

1] 0hio St
2] USC
3] Michigan
4] Florida
5] LSU
6] Wisconsin
7] Louisville
8] Arkansas
9] Boise St
10] Oklahoma

Top Bottom