College Football

Ok, now I only really care about cool bowl matchups. The BEST possible scenario I see is...

NCG- WVU vs. Missouri
Rose- Ohio State vs. USC
Sugar- LSU vs. Hawaii
Fiesta- Georgia vs. Arizona State
Orange- Virginia Tech vs. Florida

This feels weird...Florida is ranked 12th right now and likely to climb, ASU probably won't drop enough to be jumped by Illinois. Oklahoma, with a loss to Mizzou, would fall out of BCS range. Kansas would HAVE to be picked if they are still in the top 10 (and I think its almost impossible that they won't be).

These matchups give some sweet game possibilities. The NCG will be high scoring and fun to watch. It will be great fun also to watch USC dismantle OSU worse than Florida did last year. LSU would hold all of the SEC's pride accumulated over its 75 year history in its hands against Hawaii. Georgia vs ASU could um...well...they could go for the sack record I guess. Florida vs VTech would be great, a terrific defense and an improving offense against the possible sophomore superman Heisman winner Tim Tebow.

Now here is the worst scenario...with EVERYBODY losing.

NCG- Ohio State vs. Virginia Tech
Rose- UCLA vs. Illinois
Sugar- Tennessee vs. West Virginia
Orange- Florida vs. Clemson?!?!
Fiesta- Oklahoma vs. Georgia

Ugh...thats hideous. It could be much worse if 3 SEC teams are not allowed.

Azale, both of your scenario's are impossible as you have 3 SEC teams making it to BCS bowls, while only 2 teams per conference are eligible.

The first scenario should look more like this:

NCG- WVU vs. Missouri
Rose- Ohio State vs. USC
Sugar- LSU vs. Hawaii
Fiesta- Kansas vs. Arizona State
Orange- Virginia Tech vs. Georgia

I'm almost afraid to ask but...what about the second? The second was based on a WVU, Washington, USC, Missouri, ASU, Oregon, and LSU losses in their next games.

The worst case scenario also needs fixing

Rose- Arizona State vs. Missouri
Sugar- Tennessee vs. Illinois
Orange- West Virginia vs. Georgia
Fiesta- Oklahoma vs. Clemson

Ohio State v. LSU for the title!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

truly horrible...

I dont know if va tech gets the nod though. and I think illinois vs. ucla would be far worse.

truly horrible...

I dont know if va tech gets the nod though. and I think illinois vs. ucla would be far worse.

UCLA will not be in a BCS bowl under any circumstances. Even if they beat USC this weekend, they will still lose out on the tie-breakers for the bowl berth. This is how it breaks down real quickly:

If UCLA beats USC AND Arizona beats Arizona State, then it comes down to the result of the Oregon-Oregon State game. Regardless of who wins, we get a 4-way tie at 6-3 between USC, UCLA, ASU, and UO/OSU.
If Oregon is the winner then this is the next tie-breaker:
ASU 2-1
Oregon 2-1
UCLA 2-1
USC 1-2

In this scenario USC is eliminated first, as it has the worst record against the 3 other teams. The next step is to look at Who went to the last Rose Bowl, which was UCLA in 1999, so they are eliminated, and Arizona State was next in 1997. This leaves Oregon as the Pac-10 representative in the Rose Bowl.

Now, if Oregon State wins, then we have this scenario:

UCLA 2-1
ASU 2-1
USC 2-1
Oregon State 1-2

In this scenario Arizona State gets the nod as they are the team with the least recent Rose Bowl appearance (Oregon State is eliminated from contention with the losing record against common opponents).

Tebow broke his hand on the opening drive against Florida St and still had 5 touchdowns in the game--not a bad day

UCLA will not be in a BCS bowl under any circumstances. Even if they beat USC this weekend, they will still lose out on the tie-breakers for the bowl berth. This is how it breaks down real quickly:

If UCLA beats USC AND Arizona beats Arizona State, then it comes down to the result of the Oregon-Oregon State game. Regardless of who wins, we get a 4-way tie at 6-3 between USC, UCLA, ASU, and UO/OSU.
ASU 1-2 they lost to USC & Oregon
Oregon 2-1
UCLA 2-1
USC 1-2

In this scenario USC is eliminated first, as it has the worst record against the 3 other teams. The next step is to look at Who went to the last Rose Bowl, which was UCLA in 1999, so they are eliminated, and Arizona State was next in 1997. This leaves Oregon as the Pac-10 representative in the Rose Bowl.

PAC 10 website has it as :

IF UCLA wins
ASU loses
Oregon wins

its a 4 way tie
UCLA
USC
Oregon
ASU

with tie breaker UCLA vs Oregon

UCLA gos to the Rose Bowl

ASU 2-1
Oregon 2-1
UCLA 2-1
USC 1-2

Now, if Oregon State wins, then we have this scenario:

UCLA 2-1
ASU 2-1
USC 2-1
Oregon State 1-2

In this scenario Arizona State gets the nod as they are the team with the least recent Rose Bowl appearance (Oregon State is eliminated from contention with the losing record against common opponents).

Yeah, sorry, but all the major media lists UCLA as getting if USC and ASU lose. Not that this will be an issue, Sarkisian will be smarting for revenge after all the criticism of last year and the 13-9 loss.

UCLA has no quaterback. USC's defense will play well enough to win, even if they only score 9 again.

AZ State is #13 right now and likely to climb a little bit if they win next week... versus the Illini who are #14 and are likely to move up doing nothing (like so many other teams this year). It could come down to how impressive the Sun Devils look against their rivals..

WVU vs Mizzou would be a good game but a ratings disaster.

Actually, Pat Cowan is back for UCLA. Or at least he played some against Oregon. Of course there were about a dozen other injuries in that game so it doesn't make any difference.

Actually, Pat Cowan is back for UCLA. Or at least he played some against Oregon. Of course there were about a dozen other injuries in that game so it doesn't make any difference.

Considering that a full health UCLA would probably still be the underdog against a USC team with a backup quarterback.. ;)

Well, you get what you pay for.

Besides, I bet Kevin Love could play QB. He'd make Tebow look like a fool.

I'd like to see us beat USC, anyway. Not sure if I could go for a Rose Bowl. I suppose we could beat Hawaii :mischief:

You know, everybody keeps raggin' on the warriors, but I'm excited to see them play a big name (assuming they beat UDub). I've seen these guys on TV several times this year...their defense has inproved leaps and bounds, and Colt Brennan is a man on fire. I know they haven't played the best teams (although they tried to get Michigan, USC and Michigan St), but they've been consistant, something a lot of the other, bigger name teams, haven't been.

They'll give whoever they play a real football game I think.

Now, imagine, for a moment, that we had a 16 team playoff, with auto bids going to the winners of the WAC, MtnWest, and the top rated of the 3 little conferences (so, this year, CUSA)

Also, lets assume that Missouri, LSU, Va Tech and Tulsa win their title games

#1 Missouri Vs #16 Tulsa
#2 WVU vs #15 Brigham Young
#3 Ohio State vs #14 Illinois
#4LSU vs #13 Hawaii
#5 Georgia vs #12 Arizona St
#6 Va Tech vs #10 Florida
#7 Kansas vs #8 USC

Are those not all amazing games? There isn't a single "gimme" in that whole bunch! Plus, the 3 "mid-majors" are all capable of winning their first round game.

Top Bottom