College Football

Kraznaya, couldn't bring yourself to pick one Big Ten team?

When the BCS can work in my favour, I want it to :smug:

So Bob Stoops chokes yet again, for the 4th BCS Bowl in a row... hey, at least he can beat Texas!

My hat's off to WVU, even though I picked against them, I rooted for them the whole game (hey! USC can get a better final ranking because of it) and they played some pretty inspired ball for their interim coach.

Hey, come on, LSU winning would be a good thing, we would have a boatload of 2 loss teams and no clear champion, yet another case against the BCS! ;)

Yeah, but then we'd know the answer to whether a 2-loss SEC team is more deserving of a title shot than a 1-loss Big Ten team... ;)

Big Game Bob is officially just Bob now. What a great game by WVU, Noel Devine is the fastest player I've seen this year (much better than Trindon Holliday at LSU too) and WVU's defense totally dominated.

@Kraznaya, Stoops can beat Texas when they have the better team...when we have we have the better team, we win. Stoops is not the coaching genius most people thought he was...I think it was that Big 12 Championship Game against K-State where Darren Sproles & Robison just ripped them apart that really started his inability to win the big game.

We still won't know whether a 2-loss Pac-10 team is better than a 2-loss SEC team... :mischief:

Well, with the Big Ten out of the way the SEC can knock off someone else. The way I see it in 5 years everyone will know a national championship isn't a national championship if it isn't between the best of the SEC and the best of the rest... :lol: :mischief:

Living in Hawaii > living in Dallas, with a little more money

Apparently Hawaii can't run their athletic program...?

There is also no where for him to go but down--Hawaii was 12-0 and got beat bad, if he goes 12-0 next year at Hawaii he's not going to a BCS bowl. It will take 2-3 before a Mid major gets to the BCS again if undefeated.

Considering where he took Hawai'i from, I wouldn't say it would be bad for him to go back. Remember just a decade ago (1998) they went 0-12, then the next season Jones came and took them to a 9-4 record. That was a team that hadn't seen a winning season in 6 years.

SMU would be darn lucky to get him.

But I disagree on another mid-major making it to the BCS. You seem to quickly forget that just last year Boise State beat Oklahoma and before that Utah beat Pittsburgh. Hawai'i just got unlucky with a bad match-up. Things might have been different had they been matched up with a more reasonable opponent such as Virginia Tech or Illinois.

Considering where he took Hawai'i from, I wouldn't say it would be bad for him to go back. Remember just a decade ago (1998) they went 0-12, then the next season Jones came and took them to a 9-4 record. That was a team that hadn't seen a winning season in 6 years.

SMU would be darn lucky to get him.

But I disagree on another mid-major making it to the BCS. You seem to quickly forget that just last year Boise State beat Oklahoma and before that Utah beat Pittsburgh. Hawai'i just got unlucky with a bad match-up. Things might have been different had they been matched up with a more reasonable opponent such as Virginia Tech or Illinois.

Not saying it would be bad to go back, just saying all he would be doing is treading water--going 12-0 or 11-1 just to go to the Hawaii bowl.

I know Boise won just last year but that the difference between a major and a mid major. OSU gets beat by Florida and they "were down or the SEc is better" ( you know the deal ) but a mid major loses that way and "they didn't belong" OSU returns because they "belong" there, the mid major the next year and they will say no way we let you in after last year. BYU,TCU, Boise,ect mite as well forget a BCS next year no matter what their record is--maybe the year after the sting is gone and they have a chance.

BYU plays a Mountain West schedule and a few Pac 10 games as well, I highly doubt they would get passed over if they went undefeated.

TCU also plays a Mountain West schedule and usually 1 high profile Big 12 team (Texas, Oklahoma). The BCS would have some 'splainin to do if they got passed over.

Boise has already proved its legitimacy and there would be a Gonzaga-ish following of people rooting for them IMO.

Maybe other WAC teams would have a problem, but I think these WAC teams will also be getting a few tougher OOC opponents.

What exactly does June Jones hope to bring to SMU? How much better is Conference USA than the WAC anyway? If he wanted a move, he should have waited for a bigger job opening...

For what its worth, the MWC is looking to expand again after next season, and is trying to lure Boise St to the MWC (they're also looking at Frenso St. and Nevada, but obviously Boise is the prize).

If that happens, they basically have every premier mid major program in one conference, except for Hawaii, which just lost its coach. That league would deserve an auto bid.

I was trying to find some more info on the potential Mountain West expansion and came across this really interesting article on Texas' journey after the breakup of the Southwest Conference.

One real interesting point is that Texas almost joined the Pac-10 had Stanford not be the lone objecting voice.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA081405.3N.SWCbaylor.tech.1ca3e1c.html

The other info I found was that the MWC is also looking at Tulsa, UTEP, and Hawai'i (who hasn't quite lost their coach yet). Honestly, I feel bad for Hawai'i because it's pretty obvious they will get left out. How far away they are is one of the reasons that the MWC teams left the WAC in the first place.

My guess is the MWC adds Boise State and Fresno State for a West division and then either Houston, UTEP or Tulsa to an East division.

Top Bottom