Colonize!

Apologies for the lack of response, gents, as I haven't been checking CFC very frequently at all...
TheDesertRat: I really don't know why you keep getting problems. Outdated version? Corrupted download? I don't really know. You shouldn't have to do any tweaking to the files and folders, and the following process should work for anyone...
Step 1: Have an unmodified install of C3C v 1.22 (meaning that the only files different from a clean install are in your scenarios folder)
Step 2: Apply 66 MB beta file
Step 3: Apply 0.12 patch
Step 4: Whee! (in theory)
The furniture factory one I am less sure about, but I am certain that any missing unit files would have been discovered when I did my pre-release unit loadin' test.

Imperialist:
-Diplomacy issue: That's odd. I'm pretty sure I had them in the right lines for the last build. If you're seeing the wrong diplo messages, though, its because there is an offset of 1 throughout diplomacy.txt. Check it, and see which direction (positive or negative) the lines are screwed up in, if'n you want. I'd do it myself, but, I probably won't. I am supposed to be learning how to mod another game, so any tinkering is generally being directed towards it.
-Units Disbanding: That's a difficulty issue, I think. The game is optimized for Emperor (equivalent) level difficulty; playing at lower difficulties means that the computer gets fewer "free of support" units. If that isn't the problem, or the problem is all the free units the AI gets upon first building a city, then I suppose a little tweaking is in order.

ahm hi and thanks for the nice mod. maybe there's something obvious that i'm missing but i'm playing the natives and am not able to figure out how to build settlers / migrants. pls help. thanks

after some hours playing:

- frequency of desease shldn't be that high, it's nearly impossible to have cities with more than 3 citizen as they die faster then population grows - even with some good bonus recources nearby

- when a servant has the order to join a city he will be disbanded without any benefit for the town

- not sure whether bug or feature... was playing england and got a leader for free after some turns.

- servants/pioniers from dock still appear after start of second aera

- brought one from the cibola treasures back to my capitol, but nothing happened, at least i haven't noticed anything

- lots of description in civipedia missing :) . arrows in tech tree are a bit strange after first aera

- not sure whether bug or not: can't stop playing the mod is great!

some further comments - just in case there will be an update...

you can't disband privateers. this is a problem in the later game when your great wonder build privateers and privateers create new ones by fighting as well, you have lots of theses vessels, no enemies and the games will slow down

there was a problem when building the fur factory. game crashes when building was completed. error message was talking abt a soundfile in civpedia i think...

there was a problem when building one of the last military units. think it was the colonial infantry -> back to screen

it was hard to figure out how to upgrade units. had only one town where i was able to upgrade my workers / units. still not sure which citiy improvment was needed...

the great and small wonders shld have been more spreaded in the tech tree. there were some wonders in the beginning and a lot of them when 'building' the independence in the last period. but in the middle of the game there are nearly now wonders to build

the requirement to build the parts of the independence shld have been mentioned somewhere. i was thinking abt to give up the game when i was trying to find a way to build some of the components. they were not requiring special recourses but had to be build in a special city. it was the city with the small wonder main port. maybe that was the reason but not sure abt that. the last part had to be built in this special city as well but additional needed a special city improvment (think it was fortress) but there was nothing mentioned in civpedia ...

there shld be a way to avoid the disease. maybe a city improvent like hospital or a small wonder or what ever but it is no fun that every five or six turns the population of a city decreases by two. a good micromanagment is impossible this way as you have to go through each city in each turn...thats not funny but annoying

still not able to build settler with native civs

there shld be only one dock / servant flop per civ allowed (small wonder) otherwise you end up with lots of workers and you can only use them to join the cities that suffer most from the disease

Thumbs up for this excellent mod!

After playing the French in one game I decided to start another game as the Inca and i ran across a weird bug: I wasn't able to build native settlers. Checked in the editor and saw that native settlers have no tech requirement, so i should have been able to create some... I also noticed that the other native tribes build settlers.

I started a new game with the huron and had the same problem.

Yeah you are probably right. I was just checking them when i came upon this bug and thought i should report it. I mean, after all, the natives can be played so why not give them the basics like settlers?

Guagle,

I don't know how familiar you are with the editor but, it should be very easy to add Natives to the list of playable civs. Also, if other natives are building settlers then the unit should already be high-lighted as buildable.

Sorry if i was unclear.

Thing is you can play the natives but if you do so you cannot build settlers. The AI natives can build settlers but human-controlled natives cannot. Now, i did check the editor and found that settlers are buildable by all civs that possess the "native" tech (ie. all native civs). Both native civs i played (inca and huron) have this tech.

That's why i did post this bug report. Do you have any idea why human-controlled civs cannot build this unit while the AI can? It seems a pity, since as it is now playing the natives is pointless since you cannot expand...at least in the first age.

I tried to read all the way through the thread, but didn't find anything on this problem I noticed.

While myself playing as the Dutch, the French made a nasty bugged city on a Tundra Forest square. Now, everyone know Forest is cleared by the founding of a city, but on this occasion it builds the city, then clears the forest, making the city exist on top of Tundra, which is impassable for most units. I have no possible way of invading the city now since I can't move into the square. It just sits there safely, churning units to attack me. I can only bombard it, but never kill it until I get the first units able to enter Tundra squares... over a hundred turns away atm.

It might be better if you'd not be able to build a city on top of Tundra Forest, but as far as I know you'd have to make building cities on ANY forest impossible... that wouldn't work very well considering that A.I. would propably make all it's cities on hills and clear squares only and that you'd have to have a pioneer or servant with you to clear it first.

Still this is a very good mod and even a better version of Colonization in my opinion. Playing this like crazy until I get Civ4 ;)

i think there is still a way to conquer the city. you just need a road. if your servants cannot enter the tundra / forrest squares you have to capture some of the native servants. as i remember the dutch were not catholic and do not have the unit that can capture them (ahm forgot the name) but i think you can trade the native servants via the diplomatic screen

Have any bugs been addressed in post #245? Is this a dead thread? Had to revert to an old computer and Civ3

I've been on the hunt for Civ scenarios relating to Sid Meier's Colonization and got told about this thread.

Sadly the old 3D download for @GRM7584 's awesome Colonize! scenario has long been down (& takes you to some dodgy squatter page you don't want to be visiting unprotected) however thankfully I was donated a copy of it a while back! :) Thankfully its a complete copy with all patches and addons applied.

I've tested it with my disc install of Civ3 (steam install users will need to modify label files) and it worked! Looks awesome!!! I'm going to enjoy playing this!! :)

I've repacked with 7zip (down to 46MB) and uploaded a copy of the mod to CivFanatics servers to preserve his work. Should @GRM7584 return to CFC he can modify his original post download link for this mod to link to here instead of the long gone 3D one. EDIT: As part of the dead mod link rescue/replacement project I'm working on with Quintilius I've also edited the original thread post's download link for this mod to link to here instead of the long gone 3D one that was taking people to a dodgy page.
https://www.civfanatics.com/users/downloads/civ3/Colonize!v0.12+Carribean.7z

Custom animating leaders and playable natives
upload_2020-5-24_3-25-30.png

Nice compass!! Also very nice looking terrain (variant of the popular Ryhes greener civ3 terrain)
upload_2020-5-24_3-37-21.png

upload_2020-5-24_3-37-21.png

Oh I love these building icons.. very classic Sid Meier's Colonization feel!
upload_2020-5-24_3-37-36.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom