Colours and Civ Icons

It makes sense to avoid confusion by using the same colors, however they might do some tweaks to the colors.

Why don't they just make the colors editable? Then they wouldn't have to find a bunch of colors that are sufficiently different to be clearly distinguishable in all situations. If you have the Zulus and the Ottomans next to each other on the map you can just make the Ottomans green and be done with it. Next game, you can do something different if it suits you.

Why don't they just make the colors editable? Then they wouldn't have to find a bunch of colors that are sufficiently different to be clearly distinguishable in all situations. If you have the Zulus and the Ottomans next to each other on the map you can just make the Ottomans green and be done with it. Next game, you can do something different if it suits you.

Having familiar colors is a big part of recognition in picture. It would be uncomfortable to have different colors for the same civ in different games. The best solution is to have primary and secondary colors - this way the amount of combinations is enough to cover all civs in the game.

I don't want to have to tweak the colors of 10 or so civs every game I play. And I certainly don't want to have to keep readjusting the colors each time I meet a new civ in the game I'm playing. Having good distinguishable default colors prevents that. And having a fixed set of colors means I can remember them all from game to game.

So of the 6 confirmed - 5 were there since civ1 and the Japanese since civ2 and all appeared in vanilla versions. So the usual suspects, no surprise so far.

As for colors - it worked best in Civ3 - every civ had a primary and secondary color. If there was overlap one would use it's secondary color (If there was still an overlap they would have used a darker shade, but this was rare). So if you want to choose your colors and play against random civs colors schemes will be selected in a way that avoids conflict. Actually, It should also be used to avoid civs which are hard to distinguish.

I think worst case was civ4 where I once accidentally confused Mali and Mongolia and attacked the wrong civ.

Speaking of colors, what's with the new forum layout?

Is there a way to revert back? This is searing my eyes...

Speaking of colors, what's with the new forum layout?

Is there a way to revert back? This is searing my eyes...

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, there's a drop down menu to choose the theme. (But personally I'd prefer a gray version with the new art, too.)

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, there's a drop down menu to choose the theme. (But personally I'd prefer a gray version with the new art, too.)

I did not know that.
Now I can see the old cfc logo with the civ3 swordsman again.:goodjob:

Having familiar colors is a big part of recognition in picture. It would be uncomfortable to have different colors for the same civ in different games. The best solution is to have primary and secondary colors - this way the amount of combinations is enough to cover all civs in the game.

If colors are editable, you can have it your way. Just don't edit them. Changing colors was something I did quite frequently in Civ4, and I even wrote my own python-based utility to make it easy. I never played enough Civ5 to make it worth porting it to that game, but it ain't rocket science.

Primary/secondary schemes didn't work at all for me in Civ5. In the minimap, for example, you could have 2 or 3 civs that were represented with broad swaths of nearly the same color, distinguished only by a 4 pixel dot of the secondary color representing each city.

To say nothing of the impact on the significant number of individuals with red/green color blindness, something I fortunately don't have do deal with.

If colors are editable, you can have it your way. Just don't edit them. Changing colors was something I did quite frequently in Civ4, and I even wrote my own python-based utility to make it easy. I never played enough Civ5 to make it worth porting it to that game, but it ain't rocket science.

This means the game should have good enough colors for those who don't want to change them in the first place. Once this is set up, ability to change colors is just a matter of whether developers have time for this. Or modders, if developers don't.

Primary/secondary schemes didn't work at all for me in Civ5. In the minimap, for example, you could have 2 or 3 civs that were represented with broad swaths of nearly the same color, distinguished only by a 4 pixel dot of the secondary color representing each city.

Primary/secondary colors are not necessary land/cities. They could be just stripes, for example. That's where UI designers come into play :)

I don't want to have to tweak the colors of 10 or so civs every game I play. And I certainly don't want to have to keep readjusting the colors each time I meet a new civ in the game I'm playing. Having good distinguishable default colors prevents that. And having a fixed set of colors means I can remember them all from game to game.

You say that like there are no third options or middle ground, like say being able to change the colors and save the settings for future games?

Is having those options going to break the code?

You say that like there are no third options or middle ground, like say being able to change the colors and save the settings for future games?

Is having those options going to break the code?

I was responding to the post that said "Then they [the developers] wouldn't have to find a bunch of colors that are sufficiently different to be clearly distinguishable in all situations." If there were a situation where there weren't colors that were chosen to be distinguishable in all situations and instead I chose colors based on my current situation (the civs in the current game), then saving the colors assigned to civs for a future game with different civs would not be an option. And since civs are chosen randomly and unknown to the player at the start, I would have to define the colors of the civs in the middle of playing the game.

A third option is to have colors chosen not based on civs, i.e, there's a certain color for civ #1, a different color for civ #2, etc. within a certain game. Personally, I don't like that option because I like each civ to have its own recognizable colors as much as possible. (There are other options that have also been mentioned like having civs have default colors and backup colors, etc.)

This means the game should have good enough colors for those who don't want to change them in the first place. Once this is set up, ability to change colors is just a matter of whether developers have time for this. Or modders, if developers don't.

Primary/secondary colors are not necessary land/cities. They could be just stripes, for example. That's where UI designers come into play :)

An easy solution is to have the secondary color create an outline and have the minimap draw the border on every tile adjacent to a non-matching color scheme.

Sorry to reanimate my this thread, but the barbarians being red seems weird, right? Isn't that colour needed for the civs? It makes more sense if they were black with red as the second shade, like in V.

Also, is that yellow circle on Giza simply a place holder for what will be their symbol?

Also, why aren't the units team coloured?

Sorry to reanimate my this thread, but the barbarians being red seems weird, right? Isn't that colour needed for the civs? It makes more sense if they were black with red as the second shade, like in V.

Also, is that yellow circle on Giza simply a place holder for what will be their symbol?

I believe it is a placeholder as American city also had something big and similiar to that shape.

Also, why aren't the units team coloured?
I think there's something wonky with teamcolors in the pre-alpha build. If you watch the part of the E3 video where China has some knights attacking barbarians, initially the Chinese knights have a red teamcolor, and then it changes to white.

I'm guessing that Civ VI will have unit teamcolors, but that it's just not working at the moment.

Top Bottom