1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Community Call to Power Project

Discussion in 'Civ 5 - Community Call to Power project' started by chrome-rome, Jul 24, 2011.

1. 3335d

3335d CCtP Player

All resources should become strategic resources so that they can be traded. All copies of resources should provide a yield created by means of a dummy building in each city, called ''resource harvester" or something to that effect, with the resources maintaining their on-tile yield increases to emphasize the importance of good city location - this should in fact be increased from its current level. The dummy building should also create the dummy resources of Food, Production, Gold, etc. created in equal quantities as the corresponding yields and providing the same yield, in order to enable the yield trading idea discussed earlier. Food per citizen and the quantities in CivVGameSpeeds.xml should be doubled to account for this.

Resource quantity should also be local, with each city only gaining access to the resources which it is connected to by road or has within its city radius. Food, Production, and Gold should be made usable by additional dummy buildings costing 1 production, given names such as '10 Food' (a building which would obviously cost 10 Food strategic resources and give some number of tile yield (upgradeable based on distance to the sources of Food, technology level, and whatever routes connect the cities. A decay mechanic for the resources of Food, Production, etc. excluding Gold should also be added in order to ensure that major cities are not moved too far away from the centers of production. Foreign trade should also work using this same mechanic. The tile yield dummy buildings should produce +1 gold yet have 1 maintenance in order to allow them to be sold and enable flexibility in the food supply.

Also, implement foreign trade routes which should be required for the trade of tile yield dummy resources and all other resources with other civilizations. It's annoying that such an integral part of history is absent from CiV, much more so given that CCtP is such an excellent mod.

2. Horem

Horem Emperor

..................:crazyeye:

3. Gilgamesch

Gilgamesch Ancient Alien

:help:

4. bYt3M3

bYt3M3 Chieftain

Sorry new to civ so stupid question here, I see the download link for the source files there am I suppose to use these to install this mod? If so do i just drop them in my civ 5 folder? Or am I missing something been searching through all these post to find any info but found nothing on how to install yet.

5. bladex

bladex Emperor

click ZIP

6. bYt3M3

bYt3M3 Chieftain

Yes i already new that i have the files downloaded but do i just put them in my mod folder or is it placed some were else... Just a bunch of files not sure were to place them.

7. Gilgamesch

Gilgamesch Ancient Alien

Hey welcome to the forum:D
    You need to unzip the download in your modfolder, you find it under User/Documents/MyGames/SidMeiersCivilisation/Mods. Then start the game and go to mods and enable it. Thats all, i hope it helps.

8. 3335d

3335d CCtP Player

I actually came up with a simpler way of implementing the mechanic. Food, Production, and Gold should have corresponding strategic resources, but these should not be given a location in AssignStartingPlots.lua. Instead, they should only be obtainable through means of a dummy building for the purpose (Food/Production/Gold Export Terminal?) which should generate -x of a given tile yield but create a percentage of x amount of the corresponding resource. A corresponding import terminal could require x tile-yield resource and generate a percentage of x of the corresponding tile yield.

The percentage amount for both import and export terminals should improve based on whether the city has roads/rails to the capital, whether the city has a trade route over water to the capital, whether the player has relevant techs or social policies, or even whether either city has various buildings (Airport, for example). If possible, distance from the nearest city from which food can be imported should be a negative modifier to the import terminals' effectiveness only. Various national wonders could improve the efficacy of the system further still.

A new dummy building should be added, which when built should transform a city into a 'village.' Such a village could produce no unit or building with the exception of tile yield export terminals and its population would be frozen at 3. However, it would work all the tiles up to two hexes away from it, and would contribute to your empire's population and provide double the unhappiness from population provided by a normal city. Such villages would only exist to export their yields to larger cities. This would eliminate the problem caused by an inability to change city radius in the absence of the dll.

The only problem that remains is getting the AI to use this system properly. The import and export terminals would produce no net tile yield at ideal capacity, hence no flavor could properly be applied. The strategic AI treats the empire as a set of city-states with a common treasury, military, and foreign relations, not as a single cohesive unit. It would be unable to properly make decisions about how best to shift food for the greatest effect for the empire as a whole as this is a consideration not made by the CiV developers. Therefore, although I am certain that everything but the distance-based effectiveness change mentioned earlier could be implemented, the uncooperative AI seems to be an insurmountable roadblock.

I hope that this was better than my earlier, extremely convoluted post, and got the concept across more clearly and in more detail.

9. Gilgamesch

Gilgamesch Ancient Alien

To be fair, the problem with your idea is, it will need a complete overwork for CCTP. Also strong lua knowlege is needed to get i correctly integrated. If this would be possible.
    Also if you change all resources, into strategic, you must handle the happienes, and you lose the "we love the king day".
    Anyway to include this into CCTP we need someone like "Spatzimaus", or Fires Forever;).
    But i dont think this will happen yet, maybe a vision for the future.

10. FiresForever

FiresForever Prince

I think to improve the resource system I would actually be inclined to go the other way and make all of the "map placed" resources bonuses, with the strategics and luxury being tied to buildings. Think settlers, the possibilities are really endless once you do this, and i don't see any reason for the ai to not behave with it. I am sure this will become a main part of the big civ 5 mods at some point. It will also fit in really nicely with the new tech tree as the techs can be easily filled and customized with useful buildings :)

11. thadian

thadian Kami of Awakened Dreamers

+1 fires. I hate the map being cluttered with so much to decide good or bad, i like the "plot range" to speak for itself.

Having luxuries on the globe, and bonuses tied to buildings would be nice - it would also be nice to "refine" materials, ala colonization. Using a building that consumes "silver" to make "jewelery" is a perfect example. This would allow the AI to value a "luxury" and a "enhanced luxury" differently.

12. 3335d

3335d CCtP Player

It is not imperative that my idea is implemented immediately. We should take our time to refine it. As for "We Love the King Day" and happiness, it could be implemented on the basis of new manufactured luxury resources, which are not given a map tile by AssignStartingPlots but are created from strategic resources. Silver should be convertible into Silver Jewelry, for example, by means of a given building (Jeweler?).

More importantly, my idea would help counteract the ICS strategy that is a mainstay of CiV. It would become more of an infinite village sprawl - but this would be limited as the villages would produce 6 unhappiness from population each and produce no buildings or units, except for tile yield export terminals.

I do think that we should get Spatzimaus on board. His mod has been destroyed by Firaxis, so I hope that his being part of such an important feature of v3 of the mod would allow his work to be noticed once again.

13. ronjon

ronjon Warlord

Never mind

14. 3335d

3335d CCtP Player

In addition, the village system would necessitate that all luxury resources become strategic. They have to be moved to the large cities, where all activity happens, in order to be of any use. Existing bonus resources could remain so, with the villages being able to build all Monopoly tree buildings except the Conglomerate and Monopoly buildings. These two top-tier buildings would have a change in their requirement, such as "requires 3 distribution centers of x resource" but their benefit would be applied to the entire empire. The magnitude of the benefits of all Monopoly tree buildings could remain the same.

Essentially, Luxury resources would become strategics with corresponding "Manufactured Luxuries" to make "We Love the King Day" work properly, the new strategic resources of Food, Production, Gold, Culture, Science, and Faith would be added, and all existing bonuses would remain bonuses.

15. FiresForever

FiresForever Prince

The icons are just placeholders atm (maybe they should be smaller?), they should be land, sea, spirit as there seems to be a natural split there in the ancient era. Other eras would have different focuses. Clicking on one will open up a new "mini" tech tree for each. Still lots to do :)

Attached Files:

16. bladex

bladex Emperor

is there a way to make it so you can start in other eras? cos i still haven't reached the end of the science tech tree and it would take at least 8 hours maybe more non stop to get there starting from ancient era and since i can't use saved games i will never see the new cool stuff in the future eras..

i tried starting in the industrial era but the game crashed after about 20 or so turns.

17. Karantaner

Karantaner Warlord

hi guys!
    the stupid workshop just deleted my CCTP version and I cannot download it again - all mods on steam workshop are broken/cannot be found any more!!

I would like to finish my game - do you have a download link for the workshop version??? PLEASE!!! :)

18. bladex

bladex Emperor

you can get the latest version on page 71 as for the workshop it seems to have shat itself! :eek:

19. Gilgamesch

Gilgamesch Ancient Alien

Dumb question but have you tried to clear your cache, and maybe your mod data?
    If i have problems like yours, it helps me to reinstall the mods from the workshop.

20. FiresForever

FiresForever Prince

Yeah steams been down all day, happen last week sometime also if i remember. Unfortunately i have no idea which of these 10+ versions of the mod i have scattered over my desktop is the workshop one :lol:. Probably best to just wait it out