1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Comprehensive Leader Guide: Pacal

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Molybdeus, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Choggy

Choggy Prince

Yep, but only if the resource required for the upgraded units is available to that city. If not then you can build warriors (and Quechuas) right up to Rifling. See this thread...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=455846

2. vicawoo

vicawoo Chieftain

But everyone knows that already.

3. Choggy

Choggy Prince

@Vicawoo - I must have mis-read your post about Quechuas beeing available until Macemen then.

Anyway...the original question was whether or not hooking up copper would change a warrior build to an Axe or a Holkan with BW and Hunting...usually the warrior gets upgraded to an Axe instead of a Spear but I'm not sure if that's the case if one of the available upgrade units is your UU. I would guess that the upgrade is based on the unit with the highest strength rating, which in this case is still the Axe.

4. vranasm

vranasm Deity

hmm would have to check (should be pretty easy to test), but since Holkans are resourceless I would except Pacal losing ability to build warriors when getting BW and Hunting.

if you are building warrior and gain the ability to build Spearman the build is changed to spearman.

You can upgrade to Axe or Spear (there are 2 icons available)

5. Choggy

Choggy Prince

I though spearmen require Copper though which enables axemen via BW?

(I don't usually build them much unless a nearby AI civ has horses, so I'm not 100% sure on this).

6. vranasm

vranasm Deity

the game chooses spearman over axeman if you have ability to build both when changing the building queue, what is worse if you already invested hammers into warrior (let's say you're 10/15) you will have 10/35 spearman and 0/35 axeman.

with Pacal it's more complicated since he gets resourceless spearman unit (Holkan is spearman based unit) and really don't know how the queue will behave when you get hunting and BW as Pacal.

7. Um the Muse

Um the Muse King

Vranasm got my question down perfectly. I guess I should've said that normally the game forces a warrior build in queue into a spearman if that becomes an option. So the interesting thing here is if the game forces the warrior into becoming a holkan when axemen become available if you already had the ability to build holkans before (i.e. before you hook up the copper).

I think that it does force the warrior to change in favor of a holkan, but I wasn't paying enough attention in my game at the time, and wanted to know if anybody else happened to know.

It's just one of those obscure game rules that probably doesn't even matter, I was just curious. I can't imagine that knowing this could help you axe rush faster or anything.

Btw, vicawoo, can you clarify your statement from earlier? What do Quechuas have to do with Mayans, did you mean Macemen and copper or Swordsmen and iron, and what did that have to do with my question (if anything)?

8. vicawoo

vicawoo Chieftain

Macemen and copper. I haven't built macemen in since warlords, and pikemen, crossbows, cuirassiers, cannons, and samurai all require iron that I assumed macemen have.

So I have no explanation why quechuas obsolete at macemen, just that it's arbitrarily true so you can build them longer. Maybe uniques get an extra tier before they obsolete, although I don't remember seeing any other evidence of that.

9. Um the Muse

Um the Muse King

I went ahead and tested out that BW question. I was right; it does convert a warrior in queue into a holkan once you hook up the copper (i.e. when you can no longer build warriors).

Attached is the WB save. I forgot to change the worker build to a warrior, but everything else should be set. I hope I zipped it up right.

Attached Files:

10. noto2

noto2 Emperor

Yeah Pacal is one of my favourite "builder" leaders. His traits and UU/UB are always dependable.

11. obsolete

obsolete Deity

Since it's too damn easy, I'm curious to see your deity showcases with Prats...

12. The Oz-Man

The Oz-Man Enter: The VAIKE!

13. obsolete

obsolete Deity

...you know, that reply is meant for all the other self-proclaimed experts who tend to preach about the over-powered bit.

14. The Oz-Man

The Oz-Man Enter: The VAIKE!