1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Compromise Poll

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game VI: Polls' started by greekguy, Jul 9, 2005.

?

Would you be willing to do City Limit Variant as a compromise?

Poll closed Jul 14, 2005.
  1. Yes

65.2%
  2. No

30.4%
  3. Abstain

4.3%
  1. greekguy

greekguy Missed the Boat

it looks like if doesn't really matter if we do 5CC or Epic right now, since we'll have people leave either way. so this poll is to determine if both sides will accept a compromise: a city limit variant. this will be sort of like a 5CC, but with several more cities and like an Epic, because it will have the same "feel". City Limit will mean we set a limit of cities we can have, say 10 or 20 for example. I really hope this will appeal to people of all sides.

2. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

I'll support this poll, and place a vote of Yes.

3. Ginger_Ale

Ginger_Ale Lurker Retired Moderator

With 20 cities, we can easily win on a standard or small size map. That's no challenge - it just restricts how many corrupt cities we can have. A 10CC isn't much of a challenge either.

4. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Same here :D

5. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Deity

This is no different then a regular game...

6. Stuck_as_a_Mac

Stuck_as_a_Mac Aptenodytes forsteri

I'm going to vote yes here under the condition that we stick to something beneath the amount needed for the FP. If we go above that, we can balance things out. Keep it beneath that, we can have some fun.

SaaM

7. RegentMan

RegentMan Deity

A 20CC? That's not really a challenge; a 5CC is. If we are going to do a limited city variant, then it must be a 5CC.

8. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

i dont agree. no limits, we just wont bulid to much

9. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Deity Retired Moderator

Let's go with this. If this poll passes, I will agree with setting the city limit at 5. ;)

EDIT: On a more serious note though, how about an 8CC? We could have 4 provinces of 2 cities each, making it somewhat similar to the 5CC, but with slightly more cities, all of which can be core cities if we plan it right.

10. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

There was one thing I've found annoying about a 5CC so far (yes, someone here goaded me into trying it ;) ). In Conquests anyway, with only 5 cities you can only use the 1st MGL for an army, and then there is pretty much nothing else a MGL can be used for. Wasting them on Universities is a bit of a pain. I would like to see the limit high enough to build the FP and 2 armies.

11. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

what about 8cc but also colonys around the world to collect resourses and for our honour.

12. Ginger_Ale

Ginger_Ale Lurker Retired Moderator

If we do a loose 5CC, we can hold cities until the end of the turn and then disband. Therefore if you get 3 cities during a turn, and a MGL, you can build an army. That's part of the challenge! :)

Plus armies are very powerful in C3C...

13. MeteorPunch

MeteorPunch #WINNING

I am, of course, for this. 8CC, 12CC 15CC, etc.

There is the variaton of this where you can build so many cities per era, 5 AA, 5 MA, 5 IA, 5 MA.

Another variation is to allow a certain number of "core" cities and a certain number of "satellite" cities. Satellites can be used to grab distant resources or an enemies ex-capital with a few wonders, or a strategic landing point for an invasion, etc.

@GingerAle: 5CC is certainly harder than 5+CC, but the only thing needed to fix that is to boost the difficulty. :D

14. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I just find this as a better compromise between the 5CC and Epic supporters.

15. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Deity

its not a very good compromise, no one needs more than 20 cities... The only thing this variant would do is stop us from winning by domination, It won't add any challenge

16. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Deity

It looks like the idea is 20 cities, even 10 cities is over FP in standard and smaller maps... We would need to play on a large map to make 10 cities under and we also wanted to make this a short demogame

Please reconsider your vote

17. MeteorPunch

MeteorPunch #WINNING

If it is truly a short game people want, than it seems 5CC is best. However, this type of game can still take awhile if the strategy isn't right. Also the very nature of a demogame can make things take awhile anyways.

18. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

I won my 5CC last night, by 20K culture, in 2048. It was Monarch, small, 60%, continents, random terrain/water/temp, as Carhtage. Doing so took hours of monotony, hitting the button, clearing pollution, button, pollution, etc. Once in a while confirming a tech choice or queueing up another wonder for my 20K city. In a demogame, this would be weeks or even months of monotony.

I could have won several hundred years earlier by conquest -- but before I hit button pressing mode it was 100% military except for the rare occasion where a tech opened up a new building -- build that in each of the 5 cities and then back to more military. This was also monotony, just a different kind.

As far as I could tell, I had to play it exactly like I did, no variation, to keep the AI from winning on points in 2050. If I left the last AI standing more than 5 cities then I would have a lower score, and wouldn't be able to trigger one of the other victory conditions.

Do we want a game which is scripted until the end? More cities would give us the potential to build frivolous things before their time, and keep the length of the button pressing period shorter.

19. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

We could always do a 14CC. GreyFox did that once. (non-demogame game, of course)

20. mhcarver

mhcarver Newspaper Mogul

I voted yes, however I do think that we should also poll on exactly how many cities we want later