Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesnt, but I felt it was worth it to pay the guy. Plus it got rid of the nag screen.

How much $ is it?

How much $ is it?

I googled it and it's 20 dollars, the price of crappy budget software (at least around here). If it's as good as people say, that's a very good deal.

Considering that ive been using it for 3 years, its worth 20$ ( thats a couple hours at work at min wage, 2 hours for me )

Is there a way to make the blue power light on my desktop case be less bright or something? The freakign thing starts blinking when its in stand by or hibernate or whatever the hell mode its in when I'm inactive for awhile, and its bright enough to be a major nuisance when I'm trying to sleep. I mean, is there any sort of setting that controls this type of crap, or should I just stick a bit of electrical tape over it or something?

Electrical tape is your best bet if you dont wanna open up the case. it will block the light really well ( Its what I did on my case's front fans, 3 120mm fans lit up by 3 LED's each makes for a very bright light )

And if it's a CRT montior, you can electrocute yourself by opening it up.

CRT's have a nifty little power button if you want the lights on them to turn off ;)

You can still electrocute yourself with a CRT, even if it's unplugged. The capacitors carry enough juice to fry you.

For the light, either tape it over, of it that is too dark, get a semi transparent decal to go over it.

I know it works on pc, after you unplug them, hit the power button to drain the capacitors ( Ive had enough juice in them to spin up the fans for 2-3 seconds before ). Does that work with CRT's?

Sometimes, download websites will provide the MD5 hashes to compare to a downloaded file e.g. in case it corrupts or was tampered with. How exactly do you compare them?

Thanks.

I know it works on pc, after you unplug them, hit the power button to drain the capacitors ( Ive had enough juice in them to spin up the fans for 2-3 seconds before ). Does that work with CRT's?

I read in a few places that for CRTs, they have to be off for nearly three months. Other places say to drain them, but I don't know how to do that.

I also read rubber gloves and boots after you discharge it, but I don't think that'll protect you if you don't drain it. :lol:

Sometimes, download websites will provide the MD5 hashes to compare to a downloaded file e.g. in case it corrupts or was tampered with. How exactly do you compare them?

Thanks.
YOu need a program that can calculate the hash for the file you downloaded and compare it to the provided hash.
md5deep is probably the top free one out there: http://md5deep.sourceforge.net/

No. What some don't realise is that the picture tube is designed to have significant capacitance and is itself charged to several thousand volts. This is the most dangerous part of the monitor and you should particularly stay away from the board socketed to the yoke (tail) of the tube. It can be discharged by shorting, but this is best not done unless you know what you're doing.

Is there a way to make the blue power light on my desktop case be less bright or something? The freakign thing starts blinking when its in stand by or hibernate or whatever the hell mode its in when I'm inactive for awhile, and its bright enough to be a major nuisance when I'm trying to sleep. I mean, is there any sort of setting that controls this type of crap, or should I just stick a bit of electrical tape over it or something?

They're pretty easy to unplug from the inside.

My lights are extinguished by a combination of unplugging, electrical tape, and being coloured over with sharpies.

I'm considering installing Linux on my mom's computer when she's asleep or something, cos she always gets viruses. What's the chances of doing that without getting clobbered?

Without getting clobbered by your mom? Probably pretty slim. :lol:

You can make pretty much any distro look like, and behave on the surface a lot like, Windows. Sooner or later, though, she is going to want to download and/or install something that is not compatible, and will raise hell about it.

Ditto.... I could barely get my mom to accept Opera instead of I.E. Better you not try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom