Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you mean that you bought a computer with vista on it but didn't get the install cds?

Not exactly. I've solved that one, but the problem was as follows. The disk was corrupt and thus I was unable to run Vista in anything but safe mode. I've re-installed Vista and was caught in a "boot loop". I've ran a Disk check and it froze too. By that point I was condidering getting a new PC and, thus, was curious about Vista copyright issues. Then I re-installed Vista again and managed to run a Disk scan. After a few scans I am now able to use my computer normaly, but the curiosity remained.

I am now faced with another problem:
Not sure I understand the problem. Is it activated?
Yes, I've re-activated it. After a period of non-usage I re-installed Vista (see above ;) ) and the antivirus.

I am not able to run anything under Northon 360 except the live update. Running the scan through the icon and directly under Windows "command" gives me nothing but a bunch of icons appearing on my toolbar. Most are with a red cross like shown here. Some are with a green one. If I scroll over them they dissapear.

P.S. Every time I start the OP I get "You aleady activated your account" message. Obvisouly a mistake in installation, but I've done everything I could.

Is that your own screenshot? What are the "details" that are available?

No, I just used it as an example to show what icons appear on my toolbar. As a matter of fact this screenshot is the menu I am not able to access. At all. I tried automatic support and it does not work as well. My last option is the phone which is what I can use only on Monday.

In my experience odd problems with closed source antivirus programmes typically end with talking with them and/or installing the latest version. If you have an account for updates it may be worth acting as if you'd lost the install CD and getting it from the net.

In my experience odd problems with closed source antivirus programmes typically end with talking with them and/or installing the latest version. If you have an account for updates it may be worth acting as if you'd lost the install CD and getting it from the net.

My version is downloadable anyway.... so that is not problem.

I now ran into something else. I cannot start Opera from desktop! Something is seriously messed up somewhere in my tuning of Vista.

EDIT: Correction. I tried to load Opera - no sign that it has started. However when I tried a reinstall it said that the Opera was running. The problem is not in the firewall as I thought, but somwhere else.

Have you tried reinstalling Norton (with a clean install -- I'd use Revo Uninstaller)? That may work. My mom sometimes have trouble with her Norton (I tried convincing her to use AVG, she didn't want to) and a clean install always works for her.

The last resort may be to reinstall Windows.

Tried. Twice. No go....

A complete clean install? e.g. deleting registry? Its also possible one of your other programs deleted a file Norton uses. Do you have a system recovery? If so, revert and delete each program one-by-one to identify it. :)

A complete clean install? e.g. deleting registry? Its also possible one of your other programs deleted a file Norton uses. Do you have a system recovery? If so, revert and delete each program one-by-one to identify it. :)

Even if I did that it would not explain how my Opera stopped functioning one day after install :p

Have you contacted Norton? I think you said you had a subscription, perhaps they'll have an idea.

Here's a question: I've read to have a computer at least 6 inches above the floor in case of flooding. However, I'm on the second floor and we dont flood the sinks or bathtubs (and they wouldn't reach my room anyways.) And my new computer stand (the other one collapsed 30 minutes ago, when we removed the computer to move it to the new one) doesn't have a place for the CPU. Would it be ok to have it on the floor?

Also, whats the best "home-made" way to clean LCD screen? I googled and got a whole bunch of stuff, and I just want to know a good, reliable way. Thanks. :)

Also, can driver problems be a physical cause? The tech guy says the RAM frying in my old one was partly due to the power surge, partly to do with the mobo starting to crap out. My video card was integrated and I think you all know my driver problems. Could this be it?

If the hardware is unstable, then drivers may be glitchy. This has been said many times over the course of the thread aimee, please learn to read.

Are you prone to flooding? If not then I wouldnt worry about it. Id worry more about the dust your pc is taking in when its closer to the floor.

Here's a question: I've read to have a computer at least 6 inches above the floor in case of flooding. However, I'm on the second floor and we dont flood the sinks or bathtubs (and they wouldn't reach my room anyways.) And my new computer stand (the other one collapsed 30 minutes ago, when we removed the computer to move it to the new one) doesn't have a place for the CPU. Would it be ok to have it on the floor?
Of course it's okay, don't be silly.

Also, whats the best "home-made" way to clean LCD screen? I googled and got a whole bunch of stuff, and I just want to know a good, reliable way. Thanks. :)
Water + rag.

Also, can driver problems be a physical cause? The tech guy says the RAM frying in my old one was partly due to the power surge, partly to do with the mobo starting to crap out. My video card was integrated and I think you all know my driver problems. Could this be it?
No.

Something is seriously messed up somewhere in my tuning of Vista.
If you say that you've just reinstalled vista then perhaps you wouldn't mind going again before you get too far adjusted. Format first of course. This may not seem too helpful but it can be the quickest and most thorough fix. You obviously seem to have an underlying problem.

BTW, when you make your initial adjustments to vista over the first few days, write everything down. Not only will it help for next time but you'll have a traceback path in case something goes wrong.

The tech guy says the RAM frying in my old one was partly due to the power surge, partly to do with the mobo starting to crap out.
What percentage was due to the power surge and how much was it the mobo? (J/K:mischief:)

Also, can driver problems be a physical cause?
If you mean that one way, there are cases in history where software was able to control a piece of hardware into destruction...either by exceeding mechanical or electrical limits. If you mean the other way then yes, I could see faulty hardware confusing a driver (so to speak) or at the very least, faulty RAM causing a driver to malfunction.

I was trying to open a program and got this:

um....ok? What else can make a program stop working? A herd of camels running over the computer?

That's like asking "Why did the car stop running?" Too many possible answers without enough information to give the correct one.

I realize that you may not know what's going on, but just because you can't see something go wrong, doesn't mean it can't happen. Computers are very frustrating that way.

Question -- I got a broken NES for free. I think the problem is that water and dirt got into the inside. It will turn on, but the cartridge (which is in perfect shape) freezes and shows messed up graphics, then it wouldn't load at all. Any idea how to fix it, or should I just start looking for another?

I did google, but seems most of them were different types of damage. Adding "water damage" brings up either some plumbing company or random games with water in them.

You can buy a non-broken one for fifty bucks. Unless you enjoy the mystery, just buy a new old one.

I don't know what sort of "messed up graphics" you mean, but whenever mine's being fussy I soak a q-tip in rubbing alcohol and run it along the cartridge connection just before inserting the cartridge. Also, I've removed the top and I weigh down the thing with a big book or two to make sure it's really in place.

Game Genies can help, oddly, too.

Fixed my last problem for the day. Was easier than I expected. Thank you those that helped!

I would like to put a new graphics card in my computer, but here are my limitations:

Slimline case, so i would need a low profile one
180W power source

I would lean towards just getting a new computer, rather than getting a new case. Does anyone have any suggestions, besides just getting a better computer to play one game?

You can buy a non-broken one for fifty bucks. Unless you enjoy the mystery, just buy a new old one.

I don't know what sort of "messed up graphics" you mean, but whenever mine's being fussy I soak a q-tip in rubbing alcohol and run it along the cartridge connection just before inserting the cartridge. Also, I've removed the top and I weigh down the thing with a big book or two to make sure it's really in place.

Game Genies can help, oddly, too.

The problem is... I CAN'T FIND ONE!!! And I can't buy online, as we have no creditcard and paypal doesn't like our bank account.

I would like to put a new graphics card in my computer, but here are my limitations:

Slimline case, so i would need a low profile one
180W power source

I would lean towards just getting a new computer, rather than getting a new case. Does anyone have any suggestions, besides just getting a better computer to play one game?

I think the Radeon HD4650 is currently the fastest low profile card.

We need more info about your power supply though, wattage doesn't tell us anything, the +12V rating would be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom