1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by aimeeandbeatles, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

Is there an official name for the spaces where you can insert extra optical drives or CD drives? I didn't know how to google this. :blush:

2. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

Drive bays.

3. aimeeandbeatles

Thank you!

I knew it was something along that line. At first I thought "ports," then "harbors." And I knew those both wouldn't work.

4. lndm

lndm Prince

Harbours...bays...what's the difference:p

5. aimeeandbeatles

I was in Revo Uninstaller deleting an incompatible game, and I noticed something called "System Requirements Lab." Googling brought up this. What is it?

6. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

It downloads a small program that tests your system to see if you have the necessary minimum and recommended specs for a number of games out there.

7. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

Try my suggestions, after you've cleaned it out. Don't worry about opening it up, unless you try to use it as a popcorn bowl you're not going to do much more damage than time already has. There are a lot more suggestions on the internets. We love our NES.

If you can't fix it, you can buy online, some eBay sellers will take mailed money orders or you could buy a prepaid debit card at the local Kwik-E-Mart. (I'm not sure, but I can't see why they wouldn't be available in Canadaland. http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/prepaid/visa_gift_card.html ) That'll work just like a credit card for online shopping.

8. aimeeandbeatles

Thanks. We did try a prepaid mastercard, but I couldn't get paypal to accept it, so I just spent it on a spindle of CD-Rs and a game.

9. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

No, use the prepaid card to buy from the sellers directly, not through paypal.

10. aimeeandbeatles

Okay. But how can I do that if the only way through ebay is paypal?

11. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

When you go to pay for it, you can enter credit/debit card info instead of a paypal acct.

12. aimeeandbeatles

Thanks.

Anybody have an idea how to remove stubborn Firefox 3.0.8 tags? (One of the addons I use most often doesn't like them, and I never use them anyways). First I tried deleting them from the bookmarks manager, but nothing happened. Then I tried deleting from the bookmarks themselves -- but when I click off the bookmark, the tags magically reappear!

Any idea? Thanks.

EDIT: Yes, I did google. And tried several solutions.

ANOTHER EDIT: What do you know! 8 minutes after I posted this, I can delete tags from the bookmarks! Never mind. I guess threatening electronics really does work. ;)

13. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

One job I had, we had an HP5000 printer. Two, actually. Anyways, we used to print out these monster 80k page billing reports at the beginning of the month. 2 was worse than 1, but if we didn't threaten abuse (and occasionally deliver a kick to the main door) the printers wouldn't work.

So, yeah, it does work. At times. ;)

14. King of Town

King of Town Adventuring

80,000 pages? Thats a lot of paper! Thats like a pallet a week.

15. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

But computers were to usher in the paperless workplace.. :mischief:

16. Genocidicbunny

What did you use to carry them? better yet, what did you use them for?
    80,000 pages is a lot of text.

17. Genocidicbunny

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good, cheap monitor wall mount? Id need something that can hold up a fairly hefty 22" display with an option for larger ones down the road. it should also not be one of those low-profile mounts because that will put the monitor too far from my eyes. I've found a few on monoprice.com, but honestly, this is a topic I have no idea about.
    And similarly, I already have a 1680x1050 22" monitor. Would it be more worthwhile to get a second one and a pair of wall mounts or get a single 1920x1080 22"? I can potentially go bigger than 22", but Id love to keep the price under 200$ with either option.

18. Wong512

Wong512 Chieftain

My Computer Tower/ Chassis has this huge ceiling fan on it, the fan when turned on makes this large noise as if its banging on it, it really sounds discomforting, when its off ive looked briefly at it and see nothing it can bang against.
    Any Ideas whats possibly wrong with the fan?

19. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

Maybe the bearings have worn-out / lost their lubrication?

20. Wong512

Wong512 Chieftain

um to add, the computer is only a few weeks old, it only makes a noise when turning it on its relatively silent when using the actual computer. Its Thermtelake, dont know how to spell the name so excuse me :p

i really hope i dont need to return it for warranty... so soon, since everything else is installed.
    If i have to send it back, can someone tell me how to claim warranty on a chassis, do i need to take out all the parts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.