Computers and Technical Help

I managed to finalize my build and would love if @Synsensa and @Birdjaguar could have a crack at it, especially in terms of incompatibilities and everything fitting together. Here it is: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yYK8TC

- Does everything fit into the case?

- Do GPU / RAM / CPU / PSU work with this mainboard? PCPP says yes so far.

- Does the PSU work with this setup, is it the correct wattage/voltage and will it provide enough energy? Estimated wattage is 297W.

- Do I need anything extra? I obviously have mouse, keyboard, monitor et cetera, I mean purely for the tower PC.

- Do these parts "harmonize" with each other, or could this be done better?

Checking with http://www.logicalincrements.com

Your processor and motherboard are rated good and your graphics card rated VG and great.
Your Power supply, the 620 model appears to be replaced by the 650 so it is now outdated. Go with more power (650) and newer version.

Logical Increments pairs your graphics card with the R7 2700X CPU and the MSI x470 gaming plus Motherboard. LI recommends the Asus x479x Pro in combination with your graphics card.

Do you have a monitor picked out? 27-32" 4K is very nice. You can use your current, worse one as a second screen.

Your Fractal case may be discontinued and replaced by the Fractal Design Meshify C model.

So, unless money is a real issue, I'd upgrade both your MB and processor to match your graphics card and bump the power supply to 650. I do like the 1 TB SSD!

And yes go with 16 GB Ram. It is likely overkill in most situations, but who knows what is coming?

My mum has windows 10, and has started getting popups in the bottom right of her desktop, like the attached image (and sometimes even less tasteful). They keep coming up, sometimes clicking them makes them go away, sometimes not. I am fairly sure it is not coming up in the "Apps" list of the task manager, and I could not find it in the processes list..

I have said that I cannot rule out that her computer is infected with malware and is under some criminals control. I know very little about windows, and nothing about windows 10. Is there anything else to do but
wipe the drive and install linux?

Attachments

• malware_popup.png
    malware_popup.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
My mum has windows 10, and has started getting popups in the bottom right of her desktop, like the attached image (and sometimes even less tasteful). They keep coming up, sometimes clicking them makes them go away, sometimes not. I am fairly sure it is not coming up in the "Apps" bit of the task manager, and I could not find it in the processlist..

I have said that I cannot rule out that her computer is infected with malware and is under some criminals control. I know very little about windows, and nothing about windows 10. Is there anything else to do but
wipe the drive and install linux?

It looks like she accepted desktop notifications while visiting that website in the popup. If you go to that site, click the lock symbol in the address bar. Click on "Site Settings" and make sure things like Notifications are set to Disabled.

And tell her to click Deny instead of Accept whenever she visits a website and a popup appears asking her if she wants the allow the site to display notifications.

Your processor and motherboard are rated good and your graphics card rated VG and great.
Your Power supply, the 620 model appears to be replaced by the 650 so it is now outdated. Go with more power (650) and newer version.

Logical Increments pairs your graphics card with the R7 2700X CPU and the MSI x470 gaming plus Motherboard. LI recommends the Asus x479x Pro in combination with your graphics card.

Do you have a monitor picked out? 27-32" 4K is very nice. You can use your current, worse one as a second screen.

Your Fractal case may be discontinued and replaced by the Fractal Design Meshify C model.

So, unless money is a real issue, I'd upgrade both your MB and processor to match your graphics card and bump the power supply to 650. I do like the 1 TB SSD!

And yes go with 16 GB Ram. It is likely overkill in most situations, but who knows what is coming?

Nothing to say in contradiction to BJ here. I agree about upgrading the PSU. It's a lot easier to deal with "too much" (i.e. do nothing) than it is to deal with "too little" (i.e. replace and lose time). 650 is good.

(Although, looking at your list, it seems like your listed PSU is 620 W, not 297?)

thanks a lot (to both of you!). I've decided to go with 16gb ram. I already have 2 screens at 26" and am not looking to replacing those. I will definitely buy the newer PSU.

the CPU I actually picked for a highly specific reason. it has an inbuilt fan that both has very good performance and is rather quiet, which is important to me. originally I just wanted a 1600, but decided for this one. If I do need better cooling I'd look into getting an additional fan. maybe I will go with the MSI motherboard :)

Last edited:
It looks like she accepted desktop notifications while visiting that website in the popup. If you go to that site, click the lock symbol in the address bar. Click on "Site Settings" and make sure things like Notifications are set to Disabled.

And tell her to click Deny instead of Accept whenever she visits a website and a popup appears asking her if she wants the allow the site to display notifications.

Thank you so much, and my mum is very grateful. So that is what notifications are, and they are on by default? I wonder what the ratio of wanted to unwanted ones of them are?

thanks a lot (to both of you!). I've decided to go with 16gb ram. I already have 2 screens at 26" and am not looking to replacing those. I will definitely buy the newer PSU.

the CPU I actually picked for a highly specific reason. it has an inbuilt fan that both has very good performance and is rather quiet, which is important to me. originally I just wanted a 1600, but decided for this one. If I do need better cooling I'd look into getting an additional fan. maybe I will go with the MSI motherboard :)

A bloke at work who does know about these things said that one of the most important things is to get a M2 SSD not a SATA one. The memory speed of modern SSD's is far above that of SATA connection (600 MB/s possibly?) and M2 goes up much higher (3 GB/s?).

Thank you so much, and my mum is very grateful. So that is what notifications are, and they are on by default? I wonder what the ratio of wanted to unwanted ones of them are?

It turns out you can block them entirely: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3220216?co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop&hl=en

They're not on by default. Usually a box will appear at the top left of the page saying the website wants to display notifications, and then you can click allow or deny.

Top Bottom