Condensed tips for beginners?

Likewise, you can always bribe them if you have the money, right?

Hi Gudinsdiv;

I have money; how can I bribe barbs?

.........thanks, eagle0153

Thanks for the info. Maybe I just haven't played enough yet to see barbs attack others, only eight games on Civ IV. It just seemed strange to see the SoD walk past juicy targets and come at me. I survived, just barely.
..........eagle0153

Likewise, you can always bribe them if you have the money, right?

Hi Gudinsdiv;

I have money; how can I bribe barbs?

.........thanks, eagle0153
I think he got confused and was talking about other civs. You can buy off aggressive civs (at least temporarily) with techs (once you or they have Alphabet) and/or gold (once you or they have Currency), but you can't negotiate with barbs.

I think he got confused and was talking about other civs. You can buy off aggressive civs (at least temporarily) with techs (once you or they have Alphabet) and/or gold (once you or they have Currency), but you can't negotiate with barbs.

I may be confusing it with another event, perhaps, but it is barbarians. You will get the option to give them money so they don't attack, thumb your nose at them, or pay a certain amount for them to join you. You get 2-5 warriors or axemen. However, I had been playing the Rise of Mankind mod, so I may be confusing an event specific to that game.
There are a lot of really great mods out there to download, so when you get comfortable you will enjoy checking some of them out.

As to a way to be better prepared, in the early era archers are indespensible. 3 or 4 archers behind a wall can hold off a pretty good number of attackers, and if you can give them the extra 20% City Defense bonus you're talking a 5-6 on defense. Not too shabby.

I may be confusing it with another event, perhaps, but it is barbarians. You will get the option to give them money so they don't attack, thumb your nose at them, or pay a certain amount for them to join you. You get 2-5 warriors or axemen. However, I had been playing the Rise of Mankind mod, so I may be confusing an event specific to that game.
Definitely. I've never seen an option to buy off barbarians in the regular game.
As to a way to be better prepared, in the early era archers are indespensible. 3 or 4 archers behind a wall can hold off a pretty good number of attackers, and if you can give them the extra 20% City Defense bonus you're talking a 5-6 on defense. Not too shabby.
That's true... provided, of course, the barbarians don't pillage you into penury while your archers watch helplessly from behind your city walls. Active defense is best.

Not sure... but I got Alpha from someone against some of my techs... so it should work if 1 of 2 has this tech (same as map and currency - if I have, also other can trade these to me, should work also at war)

well if I am semiisolated I am not sure is the best use of the power difference :)

It might be. Take peace with techs, wait until peace treaty expires and attack again. When you say semisolated; is there a third AI with you? If so, don't kill your enemy altogether or the third civ won't trade. If it's just you and chuckles, bleed him dry and then take him out.

It might be. Take peace with techs, wait until peace treaty expires and attack again. When you say semisolated; is there a third AI with you? If so, don't kill your enemy altogether or the third civ won't trade. If it's just you and chuckles, bleed him dry and then take him out.

I was more pointing at the alpha as peace gift :). i specifically wanted to know if I could extort some more useful techs.

I was more pointing at the alpha as peace gift :). i specifically wanted to know if I could extort some more useful techs.
Yes you can extort a different tech without needing to take Alphabet yourself, because only one player out of the two players in a tech trade needs to know Alphabet.

If all of your neighbours already know Alpahbet, then you could almost certainly get more value by extorting a different tech, such as Iron Working. Of course, Alphabet unlocks Spies, so if you were planning on going the Espionage route, then there might still be a small reason to take Alphabet as your prize.

A similar concept applies for getting Gold per Turn or lumps sums of Gold: only one out of the two players involved in the trade needs to know Currency.

Before you finish researching a technology you might have a little overkill on your research, say your on 80% and with Feudalism you have a really small gap to fill before you get the tech, drop the research rate till you get the lowest possible resulting % in which you can finish the tech on the next turn.
I find this helps with random early events when gold is sparse or late game when you really need to rush some tanks.

2, With the above strategy you can also flip the spare % rate to culture or espionage.

3, Say your still on 80% and your starting to lose out to your adversaries try using the freed up cash you earned with the research tuning for a small rush in research. This does get tedious and is much easier to manage early game due to lack of distractions.

NOTE: Just remember to bump it back up after ;)

Another thing I tried recently was using defensive/suicide siege units on stacks of doom... so have about 1 siege to every 3 or 4 attacking units this absolutely ruins a stack and can work even better with some mounted or armor units waiting nearby in a secluded position ready to mop up the battered stack. Also positioning forts strategically on hills 2 tiles away from enemy territort will enable the defender time to plan a defensive/suicide siege attack and follow up with a brutal mounted or armor attack

Before you finish researching a technology you might have a little overkill on your research, say your on 80% and with Feudalism you have a really small gap to fill before you get the tech, drop the research rate till you get the lowest possible resulting % in which you can finish the tech on the next turn.
I find this helps with random early events when gold is sparse or late game when you really need to rush some tanks.

2, With the above strategy you can also flip the spare % rate to culture or espionage.

3, Say your still on 80% and your starting to lose out to your adversaries try using the freed up cash you earned with the research tuning for a small rush in research. This does get tedious and is much easier to manage early game due to lack of distractions.

NOTE: Just remember to bump it back up after ;)
Unlike in civ 3 overflow isn't lost, it goes into your next tech. By dropping your slider to get gold in this way all you do is slow your research down.

Another thing I tried recently was using defensive/suicide siege units on stacks of doom... so have about 1 siege to every 3 or 4 attacking units this absolutely ruins a stack and can work even better with some mounted or armor units waiting nearby in a secluded position ready to mop up the battered stack. Also positioning forts strategically on hills 2 tiles away from enemy territort will enable the defender time to plan a defensive/suicide siege attack and follow up with a brutal mounted or armor attack

This isn't enough siege. About 1/3 of my stack is usually siege and some people would say I don't use enough siege. Remember, Cannons FTW!

This isn't enough siege. About 1/3 of my stack is usually siege and some people would say I don't use enough siege. Remember, Cannons FTW!

Hmm well I play on noble/prince and it is perfect, I do keep about another half dozen in the nearest city so incase its a huge wave of stacks but yeah I imagine its more 3/1 siege vs stack unit on deity.

Top Bottom