Condensed tips for beginners?

Alt (or Ctrl maybe) + S. Can never remember which of the two it is since i do it without even thinking about it now.

*edit*

Lol should finish reading new posts before responding to a question so then i know if its been answered :p

Are riverless plains are worth it?it only provides 1 food and 1 hammer. What improvement that suits riverless plains. Or must I avoid it just like everyone did in avoiding desert?

Are riverless plains are worth it?it only provides 1 food and 1 hammer. What improvement that suits riverless plains. Or must I avoid it just like everyone did in avoiding desert?

it eventually can get good. But in early game there is not much reason to work it unless really bad land.

In early game you have like 5-6 citizens usually and I guess if you place your cities right you will easily find other 5-6 tiles better.

As for the eventually good... I like watermills on plains riverside, especially with SP.

I usually build farms on my riverside plains, 2f 1p 1c is pretty okay imo.
Good way to keep the tile neutral, while providing some production.

Ok Then.. so all I can infer from riverless plains is : useless in early game. Mm okay Thanks for the tips.

Ok Then.. so all I can infer from riverless plains is : useless in early game. Mm okay Thanks for the tips.
Pretty much. You can't put a watermill on it ever and you can't put a farm on it until CS (unless it's next to a lake). Even then, the pre-biology yield from a farm on a plains tile is pretty weak. The only other option is a workshop, which removes one food in exchange for one hammer--also pretty weak until Guilds and, later, Replaceable Parts enhance the hammer yield by 1 apiece. (You can also enhance the hammer yield from a workshop by running the Caste System civic, but most players prefer to run Slavery until and unless the Emancipation happiness penalty forces them to adopt that civic.) In the late game the hammer yield from a plains workshop gets pretty awesome (especially if you run State Property which restores the 1 food), but not until then, really.

For your early cities, then, you want to either avoid having too many waterless plains tiles if possible, or at least ensure there are enough worthwhile tiles for the citizens to work until techs like Civil Service and Guilds help make those plains tiles a little more worthwhile. Sometimes, though, you may have to found/capture and keep such a city for strategic reasons; if so, you'll just have to be patient with it.

@sis

dunno other versions, but in BtS it's
workshop - +1H guilds, +1H caste (correct), +1H Chemistry (not RP), SP adds +1F
watermill - RP adds 1H and elektricity +1C (not sure if it isn't +2 here!), SP adds +1F too (some describe it as SP watermill replacing farms)

other then that pretty correct description.

as for battling emancipation... culture slider isn't bad way especially if you slaved theathres, colosseums. And if you're steaming for Domination in final phase, you usually ignore science slider anyway...

but if you hunt domination you usually capture so many AI's cottages that Eman doesn't have to be drawback ;-), my magic number for Eman is somewhere around 40 cottages.

@sis

dunno other versions, but in BtS it's
workshop - +1H guilds, +1H caste (correct), +1H Chemistry (not RP), SP adds +1F
watermill - RP adds 1H and elektricity +1C (not sure if it isn't +2 here!), SP adds +1F too (some describe it as SP watermill replacing farms)

other then that pretty correct description.

as for battling emancipation... culture slider isn't bad way especially if you slaved theathres, colosseums. And if you're steaming for Domination in final phase, you usually ignore science slider anyway...

but if you hunt domination you usually capture so many AI's cottages that Eman doesn't have to be drawback ;-), my magic number for Eman is somewhere around 40 cottages.
Thanks, sometimes I get vanilla, Warlords, and BtS game specifics mixed up cause I've played the game so long (and I'm an old codger whose memory is fading). :old:

2 more questions please I'm confused,

must I always found my first city in the first turn of the game? I afraid that if I busy finding the good spot for first city to found, another civs will advance faster than me.

what is the difference between Drafting and Slavery?

2 more questions please I'm confused,

must I always found my first city in the first turn of the game? I afraid that if I busy finding the good spot for first city to found, another civs will advance faster than me.

what is the difference between Drafting and Slavery?

1. No, you can have a look around, but you're right, don't take too long. Consider where to move your Scout or Warrior first--that may be enough to help you decide if you should found your capital right on the first turn. The longer you take, though, the more your rivals will advance in comparison. On the lower difficulty levels, this is not too much of a concern unless you have an early goal you want to achieve, such as founding an early religion. On the higher difficulty levels, however, where the AI gets hefty research bonuses compared to you, as well as a 2nd Settler, delaying the founding of your capital can be costly.
  2. Drafting is enabled by adopting the Nationhood civic (which is itself enabled by the Nationalism tech). It allows you to draft units (usually the best available gunpowder unit--Musketmen, Riflemen, Infantry, etc.) by sacrificing population. You can only draft from 3 cities per turn. Slavery is available much earlier in the game and is much more flexible; the Slavery civic is enabled by Bronze Working and allows you to sacrifice as much population as the rules allow (never more than half the city's population) in as many cities as you want to complete any build. The use of either drafting or slavery results (temporarily) in an extra unhappy citizen or citizens in the cities where you exercised either option. The duration of the unhappiness depends upon the game speed.

I will just add a thing or two to things Sis said...

1) beware barb animals, they start to spawn I think at 5T mark regardless of difficulty and speed (with speed I am almost 100% sure, diff I am around 80% sure)

2) you can draft even pre-gunpowder unit, I know about maceman being draftable, not sure if units before are too.
Slavery is 1 unhappy citizen per whip and you can slave more citizens per whip, each citizen produces then fixed number of hammers based on speed (on normal it's 30 hammers). You produce needed number of hammers for finishing the current build in build queue, where the games automatically evaluates how many citizens to finish the build you need. It's the most important civic in game (imo) and you should probably look for some deeper articles about mechanism, since I think it's outside of scope of this thread.

Drafting produces 3 unhappy citizen per draft, you can draft only in cities with at least 10% your own culture (unlike slavery which is culture independent and slavery is great way of making your new cities productive if they have population) and at least size 6.
The number of citizens needed for draft is dependent on the unit. Maces, Muskets, Rifles need 1 pop, Infantry needs 2 pop, not sure with Mech Inf. since it's unusual to draft this units.
The number of drafts per turn is limited and is based on map size (I think), on standard it's 3 as Sis said.

Very good strategy for drafting is building Globe Theatre in city with high food surplus, since GT makes city immune to unhappy citizens and you can draft each turn.
Drafting is usually used with cannons whipped since units produced by drafting and cannons are both 1-move units.

A riverless plains tile is problematic. =)

I usually save forests that are on riverless plains. since they become half-decent with a lumbermill later on. And they can be usefull when you need more production urgently before replaceable plarts.
1f 2p is half-decent. En par with a plains-hill mine in terms of efficiency.

If there is no forest on it, I tend to put a cottage there if it's in a commercial city with much food surplus.

But other than that, they are useless untill you get some workshop boosting tech, or perhaps biology/civil service.

Okay thank you for the tips all of you especially sisiutil and vranasm. Those fat posts give me more than enough informations(y) . Once more Thanks!

Don't run State Property.

State property has its uses, such as if the land has few corporation resources or you have high maintenance costs( Settling the new world in terra).

State property is also very useful if you have a large empire, such as when you're pursuing a domination win. You stand to save a bundle on maintenance costs, the production bonus will assist your unit production, and you don't really have the time to muck around with corporations when you're conquering the world.

Yeah, but you're Charlemagne, the Rauthaus halves your maintenance from that of a Courthouse anyways. Using SP at that point would be redundant since most of your empire costs will be from your army, civics, and inflation. And you would lose out on the chance to take advantage of reduced-price Corps.

I agree that SP would still be decent, you're just missing out on fully exploiting Charles.

Yeah, but you're Charlemagne, the Rauthaus halves your maintenance from that of a Courthouse anyways. Using SP at that point would be redundant since most of your empire costs will be from your army, civics, and inflation. And you would lose out on the chance to take advantage of reduced-price Corps.

I agree that SP would still be decent, you're just missing out on fully exploiting Charles.
Ah, I should have properly read and responded to your original post rather than just reading and responding to GGracchus'...

Top Bottom