Conquest 01: Saves are now available!

So I understand we are to have 2 games a month now. One as Conquests and one as ptw/civ3. Much as I would like to play Civ all the time, 2 games may be tough to manage. I suspect many others will also find this. My wife won't be too pleased to find my gotm addiction has doubled.

I do agree a bit with the guys who thought that the civ/ptw game should come out on the 1st and the nkotb should be mid month. However, I understand Ainwood wanting to tease us all and then spring the conquests game upon an unsuspecting rabble.

I don't suppose a mac version of conquests is likely? It is nice to have a game where us muggles can interact with the weirdee Mac community.

I don't like at all how you handled this. Despite accepting ( :mad: ) the fact that us Macintosh players are now second class ;) you should have announced it earlier. Now you kept me in suspense, when in fact I should have started another game a couple of days ago, because I can't play the "gotm" till mid-month. Not good.

AlanH said:
OED Definition

Windows User: noun. Conformist lacky to Bill Gates. Thinks regular OS crashes are cool. [...]
Hey, but you can play Civ3 on Linux (or you favourite x86 windows emulator) as well!
Check transgaming and winex, here. I haven't tried C3C yet, though.

grahamiam said:
@bugs -> unfortunately, that is the way i did it. i had 1.15b loaded and 1st copied it to another partition on my hard drive. I then updated my original installation to 1.22f and made a shortcut to my desktop for the 1.15b. takes about 1.5GB to do this :eek: but it is very easy. no complaints so far but I've only been doing it for about 1.5 months.

I did mine to a different folder on the same partition and it runs fine. After you copy Conquest you can delete one of the PTW versions that is embedded in the Conquest folder.

Also, it there going to be a QSC for the COTM?

grahamiam said:
that's vanilla, ptw, conquests, gotm mods...
For me? No. My seven are all vanilla. If you *really* want a list:

1. A master copy of v1.29 with no saves, no changes, no mods so that I can create a new variant by just copying that folder. Saves running the CD installer and applying the 1.29 patch.

2. A copy of v1.21 for use with the Mac editor, which doesn't support 1.29.

3. Working copy of v1.29 unmodded, which can play old GOTMs or random games. Currently playing SGTOM2.

4. Current GOTM mod.

5. Test copy used when I want to test new Mac mod installers.

6. Gotm mod vintage 23, used to play SGOTM23 and never deleted

7. Gotm mod vintage 24, used to play SGOTM24/MB04 and never deleted

I s'pose the last two could go, but they are doing no harm and my hard drive has plenty of space ...

Drazek said:
Hey, but you can play Civ3 on Linux (or you favourite x86 windows emulator) as well!
Check transgaming and winex, here. I haven't tried C3C yet, though.
And my dog can walk on two legs, but he doesn't do it very well and falls over a lot. Is Windows any more stable when it runs in Linux?

this is a very good news indeed, especially since I purchased Conquests months ago and never used it...

My problem though, is that I always have to play on my laptop, and my laptop has no CD player, and I cannot find a NO CD patch anywhere... Also I don't have the space on my laptop to copy the CD and emulate...

Great Work,

one quick question though. Is QSC still mandatory?

Greetz Jurimax.

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought wrong about it being mandatory (cause it's been a while I played GOTM).

Greetz Jurimax

AlanH said:
And my dog can walk on two legs, but he doesn't do it very well and falls over a lot. Is Windows any more stable when it runs in Linux?
Yeah, you're only running a Windows APPLICATION on Linux. If the emulated Civ3 crashes, it's just it and no more. I run Linux all the time and just give some time for "guest performers as Civ3 or Word" :). Hey, FreeBSD is my second favourite OS and it gave lots of features for Mac OS X! I think you could run FreeBSD's Linux emulation running Windows emulation and playing Civ3! I haven't tried (I use FBSD mainly for servers), but if you really want I can run FreeBSD on my Linux by VMWare and try running Civ3 on my emulated FBSD.

Nope! The linux WINE emulation relies on being able to pass machine code instructions to an Intel-compatible CPU, which I do not have.

I may be able to run Conquests in the Connectix VirtualPC emulator, but until recently that would have run like a stuck pig on my 350Mhz Mac. I've now upgraded to a 1GHz CPU, so I *could* review that. But I'm reluctant to give Willie Gates one red cent of my hard earned cash, and since he now owns Connectix, and I'd also have to buy a Windows license, I have a problem with my principles :)

a space oddity said:
You got extra points for it, I believe. It was before my staff-ness. :)
You used to get a bonus for a timeline. That went a looooong time ago, and I only heard it from the gotm elders as they sat around the dying embers of the camp fire, musing over the good ole days and smoking their pipes.

AlanH said:
Nope! The linux WINE emulation relies on being able to pass machine code instructions to an Intel-compatible CPU, which I do not have. I may be able to run Conquests in the Connectix VirtualPC emulator, but until recently that would have run like a stuck pig on my 350Mhz Mac. I've now upgraded to a 1GHz CPU, so I *could* review that. But I'm reluctant to give Willie Gates one red cent of my hard earned cash, and since he now owns Connectix, and I'd also have to buy a Windows license, I have a problem with my principles :)
Ok, You'right, I was supposedly to play on Linux or another Wintel compantible luser machine, but you're having the non-intel and pro-mac point! I wholly support your MAC machine, I'm wholly against Intel pc & Microsoft, so I'm wholly going for you your going against intel machines going even I'am pro Linux.

Jurimax said:
Is QSC still mandatory?

Mandatory?!? SUPPORTED would be nice! Those were valuable learning tools, and very nice for those who didn't have the time in RL to complete the GOTM.

<further comment deleted to keep from having to be censored.>

Top Bottom