Conquest 01: Saves are now available!

this wil be my first GOTM and i am relatively new to Civilization. In all my games that ive played ive played on Chieftan and then warlord. This GOTM is my first time playing on Regent and im sucking pretty bad :( cant wait for spoilers so i can get some tips

I started my first GOTM today, the Hittites. I read that you need your 1000BC save when you submit your finished save game. I got a little excited and did not notice the date 600BC and no available 1000BC save game to be found.

Do i need to start again??? :(

I think i will have to get some sort of program that can keep a copy of all my auto saves.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 42 bytes) in /home/virtual/site7/fst/var/www/html/submit/BabyBeast/Expander.php on line 319

had a bit of an error when I tried to upload my finished game.

flexo said:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 42 bytes) in /home/virtual/site7/fst/var/www/html/submit/BabyBeast/Expander.php on line 319

had a bit of an error when I tried to upload my finished game.

Sorry about that. If you resubmit it will probably work. I think there's a memory leak in the PHP script engine on the server - it's an old version. I'm going to spend a bit of time today to put some "waste disposal" into the code to reduce the chances of triggering it.

I'm about a week late, but I thought I'd chime in and note that I'm playing my first GOTM -- the move to C3C suckered me in. I typically play the epic game on Regent, so thought I'd try this one on Open Class instead of Conquest Class. I'm halfway through the ancient age and already have some stories to tell (I'll save them for the spoiler thread, which I'll read as soon as I hit the Middle Ages and meet the other conditions).

Kudos to the GOTM team for putting this together.

Well, I've been playing Civ since '95 ish on Civ 1, and I've been hooked ever since. Seeing as I've been playing this long, it is quite surprising that I really am THAT bad :). I have never dared to venture from Cheiftain before (and I normally get beaten on those :rolleyes: ), so this was more of a fun messing around thing, playing this GOTM, and I think it went quite well. I actually managed to make it out of the BC's ( :mischief: ), but I was effectively dead by 1000BC. The barbarians killed all my workers, and then the other civs began to demand stuff. Having never played above Chieftain before, I of course told them where to shove it, and was rather surprised when they actually did declare war on me :rolleyes:

Needless to say, a few military alliances later, I was pinned down to my original capital, at about 1000BC. I held out till about 700AD by simply mass producing phalanxes until they finally wiped me out.

My aims for the next game is to be eligable for the first spoiler thread :D, although this looks remarkably difficult. How the hell do you do it?

But anyway, twas some good fun, and well done on such a great and well organised comp :goodjob: Maybe when my dinner has fully gone down, I will dare a glance at the hall of fame :lol:
Anyway, I'm off to play a good old 2 civ huge map chieftain game, with extra wussy rivals. The way it was meant to be played :D

Jason Fliegel said:
I'm about a week late, but I thought I'd chime in and note that I'm playing my first GOTM -- the move to C3C suckered me in.
\

Welcome to COTM. We will look forward to reading about your exploits.

Ouroboros:

First off welcome to CFC

To get a few :rolleyes: ideas on how to improve your game you might wnat to check out this SG Training Game thread. They discuss lots of ways to improve your play.

THE LINK

Give it a good read and ask any questions that you might have, the trainers (as well as the students & lurkers) are very patient and are happy to help.

Best of luck next time out

Ouroboros said:
My aims for the next game is to be eligable for the first spoiler thread, although this looks remarkably difficult. How the hell do you do it?

The training games in the Succession Games Forum and tailor made for you. Keep in touch with that Forum and try to partake in the next game. An experienced player will teach you so many tricks that you will soon be playing on Emperor level!!

In the meantime, you may want to track ainwood's training game here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=88183

EDIT: I see denyd had the same idea.

Cancel this whole thing. I figured out what QSC is, now I just need to find where to submit a save.

Another question. Games must be submitted by midnight, but in what time zone? If it is midnight here, I might have a chance to finish milking, which has proved to be a tedious process. If not, I will have to accept a culturual victory, which will come late enough to only hurt my score.

bed_head7 said:
Another question. Games must be submitted by midnight, but in what time zone? If it is midnight here, I might have a chance to finish milking, which has proved to be a tedious process. If not, I will have to accept a culturual victory, which will come late enough to only hurt my score.
Well, we use the 'Jason' scoring system to remove some of the need for milking. But to answer your question, it is approx. midnight US Central time. I believe that is about 12 and a half hours from the timestamp of this post, but AlanH controls the timer on the submissions page...

Okay. But I would still like to milk, since doing this might mean doubling my current high score. I never paid much attention to score, and didn't realize that there was no advantage on the Firaxis scoring system to win in the 1700s or 1800s, especially when gaining 20-30 points per turn.

The submissions script should accept entries up to approximately noon GMT on day after the deadline, actually calculated as midnight US Mountain time plus 4 hours. For COTM 01 that means around 10 hours and 30 minutes from the time of this post.

Tradition has it that the deadline is the last midnight on the planet, which happens somewhere west of Hawaii and east of Ainwood, I guess, at 12 hours after midnight GMT/UTC. Daylight savings probably makes a liar out of me somewhere along the International Date Line :confused: Anyway, don't rely on it being precise as the server's clock is not network synced, and is a few minutes fast, and my code is probably wrong ;)

Top Bottom