Conquest 03 Pre-Game Discussion

i have seen a lot of post about what to research and i personally think that republic sling shot is the way to go. as to where to settle i am going to stay where i m . i will biuld curragh, warrior(to explore a little with) then settler. give me any opinion or ideas. i m open to all

HELP ME i usually play regent warlord if i feel daring because i just got the game. I R Possom is now I R SCREWWED

IR Possum: Try 2 curraghs: 1 going north & 1 going south then a warrior for land scouting. Curraghs move 2 per turn which is double warrior speed. That's my probable build path. If I move the settler it'll be based on what the worker finds after she moves (probably west).

For lots of good ideas:

Check out this link

How do you experts plan on researching. Science at minimum to max gold or higher to speed the path to philosophy?

Originaly posted by Ainwood:
I think that having a sid level game would be a bit of an ask, so I don't think we will.
I do not believe that I will ever be able to win on SID. However, I want to try to argue with the statement above and to support the idea of Sid level. I believe that the main idea behind GOTM is not wining, but competing with other players. So what is the problem with most people loosing the game? It could be fun to compete in loosing the game with highest score.

solenoozerec said:
I do not believe that I will ever be able to win on SID. However, I want to try to argue with the statement above and to support the idea of Sid level. I believe that the main idea behind GOTM is not wining, but competing with other players. So what is the problem with most people loosing the game? It could be fun to compete in loosing the game with highest score.
The main problem (I really should wait and hope that Aeson happens past at this), is that I believethat the rng starts having quite an effect. The game becomes a lot mroe about luck than skill. Never tried it myself, and so can't confirm. Hopefully someone who has played it can confirm or mock this.

Maybe one day we might (if there is a lot of support), but not in the near future anyway.

Birdjaguar said:
How do you experts plan on researching. Science at minimum to max gold or higher to speed the path to philosophy?
I don't think that I am an 'expert', but I will probably go min science on writing, then max affordable on philosophy. At the begiining, anything other than min on a tier two tech doesn't seem to shave much time off the completion date, and that gold is very useful for trading, prior to trading writing (assuming you actually get to writing first).

A useful trick is to go to the F4 screen every turn once you have writing, and see what the best deal the other civs will give you for it is. When it starts dropping from the previous turn, and the civ can actually afford more, that is a clue that the civ in question has started their research on writing. At this point you will definitely have wanted to have started philosophy, and you will need to be prepared to sell writing soon in order to maximise benefit from trading it around. If you wait, and the AI research it, they will trade it amongst whoever thay know quickly, and you will lose some of your opportunity.

ainwood said:
I believe that the rng starts having quite an effect.

rng = Random Number Generator. e.g. your success at combat. Makes sense that luck plays a bigger role when the margin of error is so small.

StanNP

RNG is definitely a big deal in GOTM.

Last COTM I lost 7 knights attacking from a mountain against 3 reg pikes and I totally lost momentum after that. But I recovered and could continue to push on after that hiccup and finally won the game.

It has been other games where my mere horsemen been invincible and just mowed over the opponents, spears, pikes and sometimes even muskets!

It's just the draw of the luck and sometimes you have to expect to lose some units. The main thing to not ALWAYS lose, is to use the terrain to the fullest. The great domination/conquest winners got the answer in having a big enough army to counter the losses.

I'm still trying to learn how to balance that :)

Sandman2003 said:
Originally Posted by Tarkeel
They don't build 30% faster, they get a 30% discount. That means they only need 14 food to grow and settlers cost 21 shields.

Semantics, but strictly speaking, you are correct!
Actually, it's not just semantics. Percentages don't scale linearly. The best way to illustrate this, is to use 50%. A 50% reduction in cost means that it will be produced twice as fast (if you don't take overproduction into account), while 50% increase in production would only complete it 50% faster.

As for free bonuses, my bad :) I've never actually bothered to check

I R Possom said:
i personally think that republic sling shot is the way to go.

On lower difficulty, yes. But since we're playing Demigod, you're only bet to be first to Philosophy is to go straight to Philosophy (researching flat-out, 100% if possible) from Writing (researched at 10%). Then you won't be able to choose Republic as your free tech of course, because you are missing Code of Laws.

To keep my trade monopoly a little longer (AI never ever build curraghs), I will probably not choose Map Making as the free tech. As we are scientific, I may go for Literature, to get those cheap Libraries (so I don't need to spend 20-30 turns building Temples for cultural expansion). Then I'll trade Writing, Philosophy and Literature to each of the AI (who still have no contact with each other, because unlike me they have not sent any curraghs out), and hopefully get most of the other Ancient techs, along with a good amount of gold I hope.

-- Roland

I don't think Sid games are much use in a comparative/competitive sense. The game would either be a very contrived, formulated one, with almost all the "Sid" taken out of it, or one decided by the RNG and whether one of your neighbors decides to finish you off at their whim in the Ancient Era or early Middle Ages.

I just played a test map, standard size as the Portugese on emperor. The republic sling worked out fine even though 4 of the other civs shared the same starting land mass. For the record: I didn't get any techs from huts. Even if there are other seafaring civs, they won't build curraghs unless these are upgarded to having an attack strength of at least 1.
Seafaring on 'pelago map with a river start? I'll try the sling for sure :cool:

As for scouting: I'll "waste" two turns going W with my worker on the first turn. If there's a food bonus there and maybe grasslands, I'll probably move inland; even with seafaring trait.

I dunno about that. I think u may be better off starting off on the coast so that you can send out curraghs earlier in the game and contact other civs. Just my opinion.

Capt Buttkick said:
As for scouting: I'll "waste" two turns going W with my worker on the first turn. If there's a food bonus there and maybe grasslands, I'll probably move inland; even with seafaring trait.

Well, as stated before, I'd stay on the coast and take my chances with forests/cow. Curraghs and warriors thankfully do not take population points to build, and at least in the case of curraghs you can contact other civs... and maybe even with the warrior too...

As well, with this being an archipelago map, there will not be an opportunity for some of the AIs to grow exponentially in the beginning. Everyone will be limited to the land they stand on, even if there's a massively huge chunk of land across the channel from them, at least until Mapmaking. A slow growth start on this map will definitely not hurt as much as a slow growth on a pangaea. And be that as it may, contacting everyone else might be more paramount than ekeing out those extra seven squares of territory at least in the AA-MA eras.

Of course, leave it to Ainwood to put us on an island with two or three civ's on it to begin with though... :rolleyes:

Roland Ehnström said:
To keep my trade monopoly a little longer (AI never ever build curraghs), I will probably not choose Map Making as the free tech. As we are scientific, I may go for Literature, to get those cheap Libraries (so I don't need to spend 20-30 turns building Temples for cultural expansion). Then I'll trade Writing, Philosophy and Literature to each of the AI (who still have no contact with each other, because unlike me they have not sent any curraghs out), and hopefully get most of the other Ancient techs, along with a good amount of gold I hope.
I think map making is important if we have limited land available and to get Great Library (edit: I mean Great Lighthouse. :blush: ). Plus the ability to expand to unpopulated islands earlier. (You know that's where the resources are going to be located :). ) The only downside is we have to trade for pottery in order to get to MM quickly.

Capt Buttkick said:
Even if there are other seafaring civs, they won't build curraghs unless these are upgarded to having an attack strength of at least 1.
I have seen this comment before. I don't understand as I have used Curraghs to attack barbs galleys in the past. (Sort of a survival tactic - I find I get a better survival rate when I attack first.)

Curragh = 1/1/2

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a general note:

I did a quick test game this morning. A couple of things I noticed:

1) On 70% land some of the civs on adjacent island had contact. So unless we are 80% water or the map design puts sea between islands, there is going to be some contacts.

2) I was able to trade for Pottery, Masonry, CB, Myst, Wheel, etc. for Alphabet, etc.

i am ussually not a big trader until after the republic slingshot but is that going to hurt on this higher difficulty level

Top Bottom