Conquest 03 Pre-Game Discussion

Trust me, there is a cow, It's just located on another island... :rolleyes:

That one of the twisted evil ideas Ainwood usually comes up with when setting up a map for GOTM.

If the game is diety, how will you folks set your science slider?

SniperDevil,

In Monarch and below, the first 2 citizens in a city are born content and the rest are born unhappy. In Emperor and up, only the first is born content and the rest unhappy.

You can use units to quell unrest--although I do not think this applies to boats--but the difference between Monarch and the levels above it means using the slider differently as well as changing the importance of lux. and marketplaces.

I've never played demigod.....

CarnDaWoods said:
Demigod! Is that the one or two above Emperor? I've never played above Emperor. This is going to be tough.

It's one above Emperor (it goes Emp->Demi->Deity->Sid). Now I'm scared.

BTW what are the AI bonuses/advantages at DemiGod?

Neil. :cool:

Anyone know the AI build/research advantage for demigod? How many units do they start out with?

ainwood, could you please tell us what bonuses Conquest-level players will receive?

A truly evil emperor game in GOTM33, and now demigod with a crappy start for COTM3. The man is mean. There has got to be something really nice, just out of sight...

Monarchy gets bonus 2 defensive, 1 offensive units and AI build 10% fatser
Emperor gets bonus 4 def, 2 off units and an extra worker plus build 20% faster
Demigod gets bonus 6 def, 3 off units and 2 workers and a settler extra plus builds 30% fatser
Deity gets bonus 8 def, 4 off units and 2 workers and a settler extra plus builds 40% faster

The extra settler and workers seem to me to be the biggest factor as they lead to an almost doubling of the AI initial expansion rate. For this reason, I consider demigod to be a lot closer to deity than it is to emperor, and so this will be a tough game. Also tech bonus works in reverse, as in reciprocal, rather than giving the AI a speed bonus, so it costs the human 11% more on monarchy, 25%, 41%, 66% more on the other levels respectively.

Having said all that, it is still possible to get to philosophy first via a min writing gambit, but I persoanlly probaly won't risk going for Code of Laws before philosophy.

They don't build 30% faster, they get a 30% discount. That means they only need 14 food to grow and settlers cost 21 shields.

Also, the AI gets it first bonus settler on emperor, and the second on diety (IIRC). As such the jump from monarch to emperor is a lot larger then emperor to demigod, atleast in my experience.

I think i'll try to go for a space-ship win this time, as the traits seems to mix pretty good. Seafaring for lots of early contacts and tech trading should help keep up in techpace through the ancient era, and then scientific will help keep up/speed up throughout the rest of the game.

Inital research will either be pottery at max or 50 turn on writing, followed by philosophy gamble to get either map making or literature. I'll probably on research the writing part of the techtree and trade for the rest. Early libraries and republic is highest priority, but harbors and galleys might be more important depending on the map.

Tarkeel said:
They don't build 30% faster, they get a 30% discount. That means they only need 14 food to grow and settlers cost 21 shields.
Semantics, but strictly speaking, you are correct!
Tarkeel said:
Also, the AI gets it first bonus settler on emperor, and the second on diety (IIRC). As such the jump from monarch to emperor is a lot larger then emperor to demigod, atleast in my experience.
I beg to differ on this point. The following are screenshots straight out of the Conquests rules editor. The first three from the difficulty levels screen:
Emperor

Demigod

Deity

And from the Units screen

And so I stand by my above assertion that emperor level gets a bonus worker, not a bonus settler. That is not to say that emperor level is not a significant jump over monarchy - the extra worker for the AI and reduction to only one happy citizen for the human per city does make it much harder than monarchy.

To me, the extra settler, that starts at demigod, makes a bigger difference though. However, I accept that this is clearly a matter of personal experience and playing style etc, so some may experience it differently.

CarnDaWoods said:
Demigod! Is that the one or two above Emperor? I've never played above Emperor. This is going to be tough.

Looking on the bright side Byzantine on archipelago is a good 'move-up' civ. At the very least you can have fun with your Dromons while losing :D .

King Of America said:
Anyone know the AI build/research advantage for demigod? How many units do they start out with?

ainwood, could you please tell us what bonuses Conquest-level players will receive?
They will get an extra settler and worker pair (can't get fairer than that ;))

Remember that the map will reduce the AI research, especially as there is no contact trading until the middle ages. The AI is also pretty hopeless at over-seas invasions, so I think that for those who haven't played demigod before, the best advice is just don't be intimidated! :)

Conquest bonus looks excellent--can't wait till I get home from work Sunday.

Top Bottom