Conquest of the World

I rarely read a story for more than a week, but yours is great, and is my #1 S&T. :goodjob:

I hope the next update won't be that long away. I'll be waiting, not so patiently. ;)

Don't spam, or else. :ar15:

"I'll be waiting, not so paitently" says killerkid.

:)

Way to go, Quintillus! Μάιος ότι οι Έλληνες ζουν πάντα! (Translation: May that the Greeks live always!) (I took Greek in high school instead of Spanish or French, so I love to play Greece in C3C:cool: ) I am curious how you are able to remember what has happened in each turn. I always am so focused on my game that I forget to write stuff down, and I forget screenshots. I've got a one track mind, though.

P.S. This is a subscription post, as I see that it may be awhile until we get another update.

Welcome to CFC! [party]

You don't have to remember it if you write down the important details on a piece of paper or in Microsoft Word. ;)

Welcome, JDAllison!

For every section except the first, I took notes as I went along in Notepad. For the first section I used memory and the saved game files I had - now that I think of it I save my Civ games a lot more often than many of my school assignments. I ought to change that, especially since Civ already has Autosave! Most of the time I take the notes pretty much in the final form, but I almost always revise them.

Screenshots is matter of paying attention and being ready - which I usually already am doing when I play Civ. I did miss a few - if I remember, for example, I forgot to take one when the Aztecs declared war on me around 1856 because I was too caught up in the treaty-breaking.

I remember something funny from my story when I almost failed to take a screenie- It was when I captured Dyrrachium the first time, I hit "Great, Install a new governor" before taking a screenshot, and took the screenshot while my computer took the time to switch to the resistance message. I still got the capture message, but the advisor had already switched his mood to "mad", so it looked like he was mad that I captured the city. :lol:

Quintillus, I recently attempted to download your 31 civ no corruption map, but when I tried to load it, Civ 3 Conquests said (Ironically) That the file was corrupted!
I attempted to make my own, but had another problem. On the Player selection screen, even though I set maximum 31 civs on a huge map, it only shows fifteen players. Recommendations?

oneperson- did you make sure you put the file in the "scenarios" folder, and then opened it from "civ-content"?

Yes, I did, but I've since figured out the problem, which involved the scenario properties.

Hey all, I've got some good news on the Conquest of the World. I played a bit more and nuked the Persians and Americans... :eek: ...

Just kidding. Seriously, though, there is good news. I nuked Vista and cleared my hard drive, and did a complete re-install of Windows. Not only did I gain 12.5 GB of space by deleting recovery partitions, but CIV III CONQUESTS NOW WORKS!!!!!!!!!! [party][party][party] :sheep: :thanx: :bounce: :bday: :band: :dance: :banana::banana::banana:

Not only that, but I have the latest save! I couldn't find it on the flash drive I backed up all my data on, and was thinking I forgot to copy it off my desktop at home. Fortunately a :scan: of the flash drive (my only backup medium) turned up a folder I'd forgotten to check full of all the most recent saves. It wouldn't have been the only thing I didn't have - all my Microsoft and EA stuff won't install because I forgot to copy down the CD keys :blush: , but it is good that I have it here.

So, as Civilization III returned to working life to the triumphant March of the Valkyries, Conquest of the World will return, in decent time as well. I will not make any guarantees - two papers, a project, and an exam over the next six class days is a rather intimidating load - but eventually a lull will come again and the Greek story will be continued. So, whether it be in a few days or a few weeks, Conquest of the World will return sooner than expected, as promised by this post number 666! :devil:

--------------

oneperson, you're the second person that has happened to. I'll try it again. I don't think it matters if your Conquests is patched for this scenario, but it's worth a try if it isn't. I'm not sure if I can fix it before Thanksgiving if it is corrupted, though - I'd have to check whether the backup I stored at Google is working correctly or not.

choxorn: Look at how many posts I have...

--------------

Good memory with that Chapter 7 quote, choxorn. I recall it now, though I wasn't thinking of it when I first wrote this post. It seems so long ago that India had the highest score - though I suppose it was. The first 8 sections I played and wrote all in one week during spring break. Which means that part was posted 5 months ago - quite a while indeed.

I played a bit more of the game yesterday, and the IBT was bloody fast compared to what I'd grown used to on a Pentium 4. My turn, however, was quite slow, as there were seemingly endless things to do and after nearly a month I'd lost a bit of the rhythm of what all I was doing - indeed I reread the last section to get myself caught up again on what was happening. In the end I think I've played the section rather well for a month off, but it is not yet complete. My first turn, in fact, is not complete. Greece is now in the year 1944, but no other details may be divulged. I likely will not have a chance to play again until Friday night, though I may be doing something else on Friday night as well - quite often there's something interesting going on on campus. And it may be until the week after this one as well - I've a paper due Monday 9/24 as well as assignments for this week. But the conquest is back underway, however slowly real life may force it to move.

Sorry about editing this post rather than making a new one, but it'd spoil part of the atmosphere of the post to make another one. Of course I will eventually, when I post the next section, but for now...let the atmosphere live.

-----------------

I can now say with certainty I won't be able to play until Friday. After that, we'll see. I'm considering going on a day trip to the ocean; if so that and an essay will take up most of the weekend. I'm also tempted to try the latest COTM since it's a difficulty I can win at - so many things happening at once. But in the mean time, real life is forcing me to be more concerned with actual 1940s and 1950s history than the alternative one being written in this story.

Welcome to CFC and the story, Nergal! Eventually I'm planning to make a downloadable version so the Internet is not required to read the story after the initial download, but progress on that came to a halt sometime last month.

----

Update 9/22: I've played enough for a new update. Still playing rather than uploading because it's fun to play.

YES!!! COTW HAS MADE A SOMEWHAT QUICK RETURN!!!!

[assortment of smilies]:clap: :bowdown: :worship: :hatsoff: :cooool: :woohoo: :drool: :rockon: :dance: [party] :band: :bday: :beer: :banana: :thanx: :cheers: :high5: :bounce: [/assortment of smilies]

I'll check If I can run it. I have 1.00, so if I can run it, it's not the patch that's the problem.

Speaking of patches, does the patch work on Vista? ;)

Oh, and that was post 451. :p

The scenario works for me. Patching doesn't matter.

The only vista patch you'll ever need:

And it is thus, the bloody <insert civ he's at war with here> made peace with the Greeks! Just because of Quintillus' 666 posts! What's up with bailing out on the rest? Okay, it's probably not because he has 666 posts that they did that, but making peace with someone who has 666 posts is just not cool!

And, the related quote, from Chapter 7:

Quintillus said:
India is the first civ to reach a score of 666. We will not surrender.

The bloody Celts surrendered and made peace with India! All because they have a score of 666! OK, that's probably not the only reason, but it's just not cool to make peace with someone with a score of 666! We'll deal with this later; right now all my foreign advisor will let me do is click the "O" button. I'd rather march over to the Celts and ask them what in the world they're thinking bailing out on Rome and I.

Just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed the story, its taken me a week to read in various cyber cafes as I am on the road but its giving me ideas for my next game ...

Top Bottom