Conquest of the World

Alright, thanks, I got it.

For just plain world map games, you might try Marla Singer's World Map. It's a better World Map overall, but this one is probably better for a 31-Civ game.

Now to begin my conquest...:king:

"And tomorrow's news predictions: Byzantum will join the Koreans in a crusade against the merciless Greeks, the Celts will get a second wind, Persia will realize their in a bad position, America & Inca will get less inteligent, and the Aztecs will die out. Stay tuned next week for 'World News'." ;) :hmm:

We will soon gain insight into the accuracy of the prophecy of the Venerable Logitech. And update is forthcoming. At this point, all that will be mentioned is that the game has proceeded smoothly, thanks in part to Quintillus's Microsoft mouse.

1959 AD -

A Celtic revival perhaps, but ultimately this will be a trivial one. Greece is now recovered from its lull in production, with 38 tanks presently available.

Our artillery are unable to strike the West African city of Agedincum this turn, but they are perfectly able to strike Camulodunum, unfortunately for the revolters. All four of the city's defenderes are redlined, and the size is reduced for 13 to 9. So much for it being the world's largest city. Mechanized Infantry and Tanks then storm the city.

It is an easy battle, and the city is again ours. Take that, revolters!

Agedincum is only slightly more difficult to capture, but is unable to stop either of my two armies at its gate. The Celts are down to one city.

And our next focus of expansion will be towards that city. In other words, farther south in Africa. That mission begins with an attempt to take Brundisium that we hope will be more successful than the last one.

It doesn't get off to a promising start. The first tank dies. Figuring perhaps sending in a Veteran one was shortsighted, we then send in Elite Tanks.

And they are forced to retreat. What do these Infantry have, guided bazookas? :confused:

The next group of tanks finally takes down some Infantry. An attempt to get back-to-back victories from it, however, results in almost immediate retreat. But at long last, the fourth tank brings us victory and the city of Brundisium.

Helipolis, near Lake Victoria, is our next target. Ulysess' Army has taken advantage of our Right of Passage with Babylon to quickly reach the city.

The city does not fall this turn, but it almost certainly will next turn. Our non-army tanks head south towards the city of Thebes with the intent of taking it next turn.

Our front in America has run up against Mayan and American territory, and neither wants to give us rights of passage. You know what this means...

No, it doesn't mean war. It means we'll get a right of passage with whoever gives us the better price, which in this case is...

The Ottomans? Yep. They're the only ones who don't want a strategic resource or technology (stupid one Hoplite in Indian territory when I declared war on them in 1430 AD...). And we're at war with the Hittites. So, Happy Birthday, Musilis! [party]

We're certain he in no way expects what is coming his way. Most unfortunately, pillaged roads in Panama prevent us from giving him his birthday present this turn.

At sea, the only battle this turn is the sinking of the Frigate so foolish as to try to bombard my Battleship. We also spot, but are not yet able to attack, both Scandinavian and English convoys in the Sea of Japan.

1959 IBT -

Hittites v. Americans? I don't think that'll have too many battles with our guys in Central America.

The Koreans make a failed Infantry charge at Sagres. More significantly, they show yet more new technology by moving two Marines within striking distance of Gergovia. We anticipate tanks within a few years.

Only after looking at the map one last time before posting do I notice the following:

The Koreans have invaded America much more quickly than I imagined, and with success. It is doubtful they will be able to hold off America's 74 Infantry and 24 Cavalry for long, but the fact that they took the city at all is impressive.

The Ottomans make another charge at Corihuayrachina this turn, with their no longer top-of-the-food-chain Sipahi, and take down a defender, but the city holds. But there is no doubt the Ottomans have the upper hand in this war.

:(. The English and Scandinavians made peace. I was hoping their naval fleets in the Sea of Japan would battle each other. Speaking of fleets, we see three Persian destroyers heading towards Gibraltar from the Mediterranean. We wonder if our ships will soon encounter them.

But only time will tell if the foreign fleets have any bearing on future Greek events at all.

Do the Koreans have Amphibous assault? If not, they must have already had some troops near St. Louis.

Korea must be Communist! :lol:

Good job giving Camulodunum what it deserved. If it was me, I would have bombarded some more, down to size one. Of course, this is a no-corruption map. :lol:

Anyway, another awesome update. Keep going!

Camulodunum had already revolted at the end of the previous update, and since then the Celts have been pretty underwhelming. They do still have a Guerilla visible in the Heliopolis screenshot, at least. So, while that Guerilla may still make it happen, I wouldn't say the Celtic prophecy has come true yet. The America becoming less intelligent you could argue for, seeing as they allowed Korea to take St. Louis.

I ran out of artillery before attacking Camulodunum; about twenty were used in all before attacking. There was more value in recapturing it now and allowing reinforcements to Africa to continue than to reduce it to size one just to be spiteful. And true, even having fallen from size 21 to size 9, it does still have decent production on this map.

Korea does have Amphibious Assault; I saw some Korean Marine units during 1959, though I did not get a screenshot of them. However, I doubt they could have reached St. Louis from Korea in such a short time after they were researched (assuming the ones I saw were amongst the earliest ones), and thus my best guess is Korea landed troops by St. Louis. It does beg the question of why didn't America destroy them on the beaches, but then again, America still hasn't captured Tlatelalco and J.S. Bach's Cathedral despite their numerical superiority over the Aztecs.

And Korea is one of the world's few Democracies. I believe the Byzantines are also a Democracy; most other countries are Fascist. I'd have to check to see which ones are Democractic, Republican, or Communist; at this point it's been a week and a half since I played Civ and fatigue is not aiding my memory.

My favorite CivIII Communist country is always Russia, which then of course is the Soviet Union in my games. The Aztecs would make a good Communist country here, seeing that they already have one of their most prosperous cities on Cuba (and it's 1959 to boot!), but they're already settled into Fascism.

America wouldn't have been able to destroy units landed by Korea, since St. Louis was captured on the first turn of the war. So, Korea declared war and then captured St. Louis. So, perhaps they have had Amphibious Assualt for a few turns.

EDIT: Nevermind- looking back through the story, I saw that Korea had been at war with them for 6 turns already.

I was pretty sure Korea wasn't Communist (Which would be almost completely useless on this map anyway), but I was joking about them being Communist because of the RW North Korean Communists being at war with America in the early 1950's.

America stupid? George W. Bush must be Ruling it. :lol:

Settings: This map has no corruption. I don't want to have a world with 90% one shield cities!

You can change this so corruption is alot less, but is still a factor. Edit "World Sizes" under civ3mod and increase the "Optimal Cities" field. Double or triple this, or even more depending of how much you want to reduce it.

EDIT: You can further change it under difficulty levels.

You can change this so corruption is alot less, but is still a factor. Edit "World Sizes" under civ3mod and increase the "Optimal Cities" field. Double or triple this, or even more depending of how much you want to reduce it.

EDIT: You can further change it under difficulty levels.

Huh? In the editor, you can make it so that corruption is eliminated completely. It's under the Government section, I believe, though it might be in the Difficulty section.

Its under the difficulty section, the corruption doesnt dissapear if all you do is check the box in the government section.

I think Quintillus explained what he did with the corruption already and how he did it.

even partial corruption would be a big issue on a world map, to remove it completely just makes the game more fun!:D

I was pretty sure Korea wasn't Communist (Which would be almost completely useless on this map anyway), but I was joking about them being Communist because of the RW North Korean Communists being at war with America in the early 1950's.

Technically both America and South Korea are still at war with North Korea, because the Korean War ended in a truce, not a peace treaty.

I changed corruption to 0% for all difficulties - I by the end, changing of only the OCN would still be inadequate unless I set it uber-high. Like Dezzilisk said, it's just more fun to have no corruption at all to worry about!

The government section allows for changing how much corruption there is under a given government (minimal to rampant - or catastrophic for 100%), but the differences that has for a huge empire are quite small - almost all the useless towns (production-wise) in a Despotism still will be in a Democracy.

---

@Frozen In Ice: Oh, it's not the Ottomans' birthday present. I'm giving one to Mursilis of the Hittites - the Ottomans are just the ones who gave me the ability to do so.

Forgot there was a Happy Birthday smiley.

1960 AD - To celebrate the start of the 60's, a great historian and military analyst, Pliny, has released a report on the most powerful nations of the world. The top eight read as follows:

The top two are no surprise. Korea likely would have had bronze had it not been for their pitiful offensive in the Middle East. The Byzantines in the top 5 makes sense, and I guess the Hittites is logical enough with their winning ways against Japan. But the Mongols at #7? The same Mongols who struggled so mightily against Medieval China? Yep. Goes to show how much of the power we have.

In technological news, we expected to finish Miniaturization this turn, but evidently came up a few beakers short :blush:. So it ought to come next year.

In fact, we soon discover we were a mere three beakers short! A single scientist in Ephesus with no other scientists anywhere and 0% science is enough for us to finish Miniaturization by 1961. It's somewhat frusterating, but on the plus side, we will get more than 1800 gold in surplus this year.

Naval battles will come first for a change. The English are the target of the only battles.

They lose, but redline a Cruiser. The Hittites, meanwhile, suffer the misfortune of having the majority of their fleet discovered, just I rebase some bombers to my aircraft carrier, no less.

That is the least of their misfortunes, however. My army is soon to meet theirs.

43 Infantry is a decent force, I suppose. But not against Tanks.

We don't get to give Musilis his birthday party this turn. Conflict is coming soon, however.

Turning back to Africa, Thebes is up against an overwhelming force of Greek tanks - eight to be exact.

It takes four to defeat the entire Persian garrison, but no tanks are lost. The next city to be taken is Heliopolis.

Ulysses takes some losses, but on the whole the city falls relatively easily.

We're now down to five cities on to conquer in southern Africa - not counting, of course, the friendly Mongol and Zulu cities. Elephantine, just out of reach now, will be we targeted next turn.

Not able to hit any more targets this turn, we send our Artillery and armor towards a new target, this time in Asia.

There's 19 Artillery under the Mech Inf in the last picture. Oslo is in trouble.

1960 IBT -

Rubbish. That's what happens when you quit the game for the night before reinforcing the cities your enemies have threatened. I just knew there was somewhere I needed to move Leonidas to.

In slightly more fortunate news, we are witness to and play an auxiliary part in the Battle of Edo, Japan. The Hittites made an attack there this turn. Their Infantry and Cavalry did farely well, but are turned back by a bruised Japanese garrison. The Hittites then retreat their navy from the harbor.

And our submarine sinks their Ironclad, which was unfortunate enough to stumble onto my sub! This isn't a good omen for the Hittites!

You have 7 South African cities to Conquer if you count Frankfurt (Persian) and Intombe (Hittite) on Madagascar. :p

World Map....

Top Bottom