1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Conquest of the World

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Stories & Tales' started by Quintillus, Apr 2, 2007.

1. dutchking

dutchking Chieftain

Whatever...

2. cubsfan6506

cubsfan6506 Got u

I hate the first two eras of civ, and it looks fun. Also i don't care about winning while iv'e played over 200 games ive never won. I get into the fourt era and could win but i don't.

3. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

Like I said, I ussualy played Cheiftain. My posted Sid game being the only difference. Sadly I seem to never get to the Modern Age, when I do, I love the nukes and all that jazz. But ussualy i eitheir get bored before Modern, or I just win.

4. metamike

metamike Chieftain

Sanotra, obviously winning his game would be easy, if there was time limit then even I could do it.

But I'm not good enough on a micromanaging level for military strategies to fight 3 wars at a time on a Huge map with so many civs.

I'd probably conquer 1/3 of the world before getting involved in a WW against the other civs and dying.

If there was no time limit, I'd take my time and win :).

Also, I don't think this variant is beatable on Sid. I'd like to see people try, but I just don't think it possible.

Well...Maybe if it's played a succession game when every turn is thought out for several hours then yeah.

But that'd take all summer, probably more.

5. CivRulesAll

CivRulesAll The Void Beyond

come on! when is the next update???:mischief: i need an update!!!!

6. Lapoleon

Lapoleon Chieftain

It is not very difficult to win a conquest victory with this scenario. I am playing the same kind of scenario (same map, no corruption) on monarch level, which is the highest diffuiculty I ever played. Thanks to some early wars I ended up with South America, which quickly became the whole American continent. At the moment it's around 1830 and I've researched everything and just started a war against everyone on the planet, since I was the only country who has more than one or two modern age technologies it is a pushover. Especially with the fireworks everyone is getting. :nuke: :nuke: :nuke:
    But then again, Quintillus has a far more difficult starting position, and on regent the technology development is slower (since you can't trade as much with the AI in the beginning).

7. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

Yippee Lapoleon, I love Firew:nuke:rks!

:bump:

8. dutchking

dutchking Chieftain

K, whatever you want. :goodjob:

9. Theryman

Theryman Chieftain

Roffle. Great quote.

Mind if I use it every now and again?

10. metamike

metamike Chieftain

Theryman- Go ahead.

Laoleon- The tech advancement actually goes up every difficulty level, since AI shield production increase = commerce increase = tech advancement increase. And with 32 techs if he was playing Sid on this map the civs would probably be modern era by 1900s or so.

11. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

Actually, due to the AI-AI trade rate, I'm betting they would get there by the 1600's or so.

12. tR1cKy

tR1cKy taking over the world

I think you can still take over everything by 2050 AD, if you turn totally to warfare, and use a good strategy.
    A good thing to do would be to amass forces, then take over completely an enemy as fast as possible, instead of keeping it alive for long times. This way you'll be safe from defections.

13. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Update coming later today. In the mean time, here are the saved game files for cubsfan6506:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/112675/Alexander_of_the_Greeks_1874_AD.SAV
    This is the 1874 AD save - the closest to 1875 AD that exists.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/112675/Alexander_of_the_Greeks_1764_AD.SAV
    This is the 1764 AD save - the first one after I entered the Industrial Age. It'll give you the full scope of the Industrial Age.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/112675/Alexander_of_the_Greeks_1635_AD.SAV
    And this is the 1635 AD save. This is right after Industrial Age Persia declared war on me and I only had Hoplites and Medieval Infantry. It'll be a good challenge, especially if you decide to try an offensive strategy.

I have plenty of other saves as well, including several from the first half of the 19th century.

14. dutchking

dutchking Chieftain

Maybe he can pull it off! :eek:

15. Quintillus

Timed the last turn and it took 7 minutes, 2.4 seconds for the AI turn.

136 turns left for conquest before 2050. I can't do it with Cavalry and Infantry, but there's new technology coming up. But Steel and Combustion have to be the next two. They'll be finished right around 1900, so I ought to be able to start massive conquest around 1930ish giving a bit of time for producing the new units. The most advanced civs will start hitting Modern around 1950.

^This is all speculation - I haven't played nearly that far yet.

16. dutchking

dutchking Chieftain

You should really get a Macbook Pro, with windows on it if you want. If you would like a cheaper model, get the regular macbook, bad graphics (with Civ4, regular with civIII), but SUPER fast. :pat: I've got a macbook and in like 5 years when I save up enough $ I want to give this one to my sister and get a Macbook Pro, for the Graphics and Memory Space. But otherwise I love my little macbook!

17. Quintillus

^I'm getting something soon. Probably not MacBookPro because it's a little above budget ($1957 w/2 gig RAM & edu. discount and w/o Windows), and probably not the MacBook because of the graphics (I do play some non-Civ games :wow:). Prices really start going up for anything above 2 GHz in a laptop, so that's pretty much my upper limit. Same with everything else really: best I can get before price increases get unreasonable.

Back on topic, it's been a long day, but I am getting this update up today. It ought to be up within half an hour.

18. Quintillus

Part Nineteen - Changing the Tide of the New World War

The outer defences of Berlin (forgot to put this in the previous section):

1879 AD - The Aztecs are getting some allies of their own. Zululand has joined them against Scandinavia. Not yet sure how that'll work out.

Egypt lands a Cavalry, Medieval Infantry, and Spearman by the Zulu city of Frankfurt on Madagascar. A Zulu longbowman near the city attacks and defeats the Cavalry.

My cavalry defeats a horseman, but loses to another horseman. A Longbowman forces the other cavalry to retreat.

1880 AD - Last turn I started a war against Germany to get oil. Well, guess what I discovered this turn...

Two sources of oil right by Rostov! Go figure! Oh well, too late to turn back now.

The inferior German troops put up a good fight against my Cavalry. A Longbowman reduces an Elite Cavalry to two hitpoints, and a Spearman takes a Veteran down to two hitpoints as well. Guerillas enter German territory behind the Cavalry.

Down by Yakutsk, it is at last time to launch an attack against the Russians. My Ironclads bombard, unfortunately only hitting ships in the harbor, and my Cavalry begin the attack.

The first cavalry redlines a Musketman but then dies. The second has little success, doing only enough damage for the Russians to send another regiment of Musketmen to the forefront of the defense. The third Cavalry wins the battle, and the odds once again appear to favor Greece. Another victory follows, and the city is on its last regiment. These fall easily, and Yakutsk is ours.

Russia has only one Cossack remaining, and will receive no more. The city of Vladivostok, to the southeast, will be the next Greek target.

1881 AD - Hahaha, more bad news for the Iroquois:

At least they're stll alive.

And then comes more shocking news

No, there was no alliance involved. Well, looks like we might have some string-pulling to do next turn.

But before we can do that...

I was getting really worried when I saw those ships coming. Definitely was a :lol: moment when one jaguar warrior unloaded!

The Germans kill off one of my Cavalry after losing a Horseman and a Longbow trying to. We'll survive.

The Iroquois ask for an audience and surprisingly do not ask for military help. Rather, they offer to buy my World Map for theirs, 7 gold, and 5 gold per turn. I accept their offer. They might not like what they find out. Especially after the Zulu bring the Celts into an alliance against them (yep, that's what happened immediately afterwards!).

1882 - Updates on the foreign front. The Iroquois have lost two cities to the Koreans, but still retain their most valuable cities.

The Zulu have captured the city of Giza, along with a source of Gems, from Egypt. The conflict in Madagascar is not resolved.

The war in America remains fairly even. The Ottomans will not acknowledge us, and as we still hope to get them to fight the Aztecs, we are not yet willing to start a crusade against them.

The efforts against Germany will move slowly this turn. Our Guerillas will advance as Cavalry recover. But in the Indian Ocean, we should be able to achieve at least one victory.

Sure enough, we win.

The Russian front is about to see the next major battle, at Vladivostok. We have a Medieval Infantry army, 3 Cavalry, and an Infantry ready to attack, with three Artillery prepared to bombard.

The artillery bombardment being moderately successful, our Medieval Infantry begin the attack. The defensive bonus of Vladivostok's hill is noticeable, and the defending Veteran Musketman reduces the army to six hitpoints from fourteen. Rather than risk debilitating casualties in an all-out attack now, we decide to await reinforcements.

Before ending the turn, we successfully plant a spy in Istanbul. The Ottomans are less powerful than we'd thought. Their army consists of 24 Spearmen, 3 Horsemen, 6 Musketmen, 18 Riflemen, 2 Medieval Infantry, and 5 Sipahi. Their navy consists of a Galley, a Galleon, and 10 Frigates. They have two captured Cannons. So long as no one gives them enough gold to upgrade, they'll remain a minor party for a good while.

1883 - I forgot to attack the Jaguar Warrior the Aztecs had landed on New Guinea. Fortunately my Hoplite wins the subsequent Battle of Thermopylae.

In trade negotiations, I sell the English some excess Saltpeter for 24 gold per turn. This will allow them to build Cannons and Frigates. It also improves the diplomatic standing from Furious to Annoyed.

A multitude of Cossacks appearing indicates Russia is importing Horses. They cause a good deal of trouble as well, killing two conscript Infantry and a Cavalry, and redlining another Cavalry.

1884 - Russia is stronger in Vladivostok now, but so is Greece. We decide to attack again.

The first attack is successful. The strongest Rifleman falls. The following attack also succeeds, and conscripts now guard the city.

These troops, however, fair much better. The cavalry do no damage. The next attack, however, takes the city. Vladivostok falls, and with that the battle in Australia will turn permanently to the West.

In the Middle East, Greek troops have reached the gates of Berlin. There should be no trouble launching a devastating attack next turn.

Oh, and in Africa, Thebes has now fallen to the currently-anarchic Persians. Tempting though the opportunity is to jump on Persia while their guard is down, we remain focused on Germany. Persia's 78 Infantry and 22 Cavalry is too strong to make a quick gamble against.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  19. Quintillus

1885 AD - At last the envoys for which I have been waiting arrive:

I convince them to include 120 gold, 16 gold per turn, and a World Map. I plan to use the gold to persuade them to cause the Aztecs some agony, but before I can do that I will have to establish an embassy.

The Vikings request an alliance against the Zulu, but offer only a piddling sum for the help. I turn down their offer. They can send their warriors halfway across the world, but mine will remain where they are.

And send their warriors away they are. I've been watching a good number of Cavalry and Berserkers trudge across the world towards the Zulu.

In Alaska, the inevitable has at last happened:

The Egyptians finally gain a victory. They take the city of Frankfurt on Madagascar. That city has gone from German to Indian to Zulu and now to Egyptian. Right now Egypt cannot afford to lose it to anyone. A Medieval Infantry and Spearman defend it. Realizing this, Egypt does exactly what it needs to do.

Not sure why Zululand agreed to this. They certainly would've had first strike on Frankfurt. Maybe Egypt gave them something they needed and didn't have the leverage to get from anyone else.

1886 AD - I establish an embassy with the Ottomans, and see that a lack of Horses is what is keeping their military weak. Most unfortunately for them, they signed a trade embargo against me with the Celts in 1877, so I cannot help them. I then offer them exactly what they gave me to make peace in exchange for them declaring war on the Aztecs:

Right on, Osman! You'd be the laughingstock of the diplomatic world if you traded a war with someone halfway aroud the world for a war with someone right next door with nothing to show for it!

But, what do you know, when I increase the gold for 120 to 130 lump sum, he accepts! Works by me!

This obviously is a major boon to us. The Americans are now safe from the Ottomans, and the Aztecs are in for a nasty surprise. They now are fighting the Maya and Americans to the north, as well as the territories Japan conquered from Carthage, and the Ottomans to the south. The Ottomans likely have some troops already traversing Aztec territory to reach America, so this could be quite interesting. If only I could give the Ottomans horses...

The Aztec cities continue to lose population as well. Tenochtitlan itself is now merely a size-6 town.

Back on the main front, it's time for the Battle of Berlin.

The German forces fight very well, with half our troops being redlined and the other half cut down to two hitpoints, but in the end four German spearmen fall. Longbows form the only remaining defense. Only a lack of more troops prevents us from taking the city this turn.

1887 AD - The Aztecs have brought the Russians in against the Americans. Entirely inconsequential, but at least my enemies are working together now.

The Maya approach us with the idea of a mutual protection pact, and we accept. They are one of our few true friends, with Polite diplomatic standing. We also sell them Horses for 13 gold per turn. Now we wait for the mutual-protection wars to start appearing.

The Maya declare war on Russia in the first mutual-protection war.

The Egyptians lost the city of Elephantine to Persia this turn. Only one Egyptian city, Heliopolis, remains in mainland Africa.

The tides of the war are now evident. The Aztecs are slowly falling, the Zulu won against Egypt and are losing to Scandinavia, the Germans and Russians are both losing to Greece, and Egypt is losing to everybody. Short of a major military or technological coup, these circumstances can only be changed by diplomatic means.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  20. dutchking

dutchking Chieftain

Then get an Imac G5, I've got one of those too. Great Graphics and Great Speed for about 1100 or less $.