1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Conquest of the World

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Stories & Tales' started by Quintillus, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Tasslehoff

Tasslehoff Kender

Lies! Heresy! You can never have enough armies! More armies, MORE ARMIES I SAY!

Excellent progress, and yay for the updates!

kingfire- there's only 6 or so names for leaders, so when you get your seventh leader, the game goes back to name #1

2. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

You beat me to the answer to Kingfire's question before I finished making the map! Speaking of which, here it is:

While making it I realized why city dots are sometimes missing: the city dots aren't actually white in Civ3, they're transparent! So if there's something below the map when I paste it, some or all of the city dots will appear to be missing, or, possibly, an unusual colour. There's a few other aspects in Civ that are transparent, such as parts of Theodora's hat.

The city dots won't appear a different colour here depending on your background colour, because I've saved them without a transparent background.

I never was a huge fan of armies, and I became even more lukewarm towards them when I learned of the combat odds bonuses they received earlier this last year. If the AI used them properly I'd be more apt to use them all the time, but relying on them exclusively seems too much of an unfair advantage as it is. Even in PTW the AI didn't really know how to use them - you'd always see AI armies with 2 Cavalry and 1 Rifleman :shake:.

3. Brianung

Brianung Chieftain

So much green...so much.

4. Quintillus

2006 AD - We spot the Babylonians! They landed! My Battleship was closing in on them anyways, but now they're going to be conquered for sure.

Ten civilizations including Greece remain. Quite a change from the days of yore.

Nine civilizations remaining. Three fewer than two years ago.

We focus our efforts against the Hittites this turn on stray Infantry. It doesn't gain us territory, but it does significantly weaken them.

Another Leader. If anything, armies will slow us down now, cutting the number of attacks four Modern Armor can make from twelve to four. We build an Army anyway - never know if we'll need an extra movement point. The Hittites are down to twenty-two Infantry after this turn.

Hawaii is entirely ours now. The Inca are down to two small cities in North America.

Elsewhere, we land our first troops on Greenland. Sumeria isn't going to be having a whole lot of fun from here out. Maybe they'll get a Golden Age from an Enkidu.

2006 IBT - The Americans kill one of the Mayans' two Infantry. The Mayans are now facing 100:1 odds in terms of Infantry alone - come on, America, conquer them already!

2007 AD - We start the year by spending about 5 billion drachmas (5000 gold) on productivity and military projects. We've got way too much money.

Our first advance of the year is against the Hittite city of Kadesh.

More Leaders...what shall we do with them? A good problem to have, I suppose. Just like how to spend all our gold.

Our Modern Armor Army leads our next advance, against Adana.

Modern Armor make for some force. The city falls without Greek losses. We then move on to the last Hittite mid-sized city, Hattusha.

Excellent. The Hittites are broken. But we will not, of course, relent.

The Tank Army in the last two screenshots is Alcibiades, the first of our armies to cross the Pacific and land in mainland America.

5. Quintillus

We also make our first advances in Greenland this turn.

One Modern Armor takes Bad-tibera without losing a hitpoint. No Golden Age from an Enkidu defeating a Modern Armor yet.

Ur does better, being a Metropolis, and its Enkidus deal 3 HP of damage to two Modern Armor (in addition to some non-Enkidu damage), but no Modern Armor are lost and the city is taken.

The garrison of Lagash is severely damaged as well. Without Infantry, Sumeria will be an easy conquest.

2007 IBT - A Sumerian Guerilla destroys a Modern Armor. I would've tried an all-out Enkidu charge in hopes of a Golden Age, but I suppose what they did was better than nothing.

The English make a valiant Guerilla attack on Ulysess in Tula, but fail to destroy him. Instead, he will likely destroy them.

Those heartless conquerers! Don't they know to respect other nations rather than eliminating them? Oh wait...
    Works out quite well that America conquered the Maya. One less civlization for me to deal with. Eight civlizations, including Greece, remain.

6. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

QFT! The Old World looks so much different without the scourge of other colors.

The New world, meanwhile, still has a gigantic Light Blue scourge to eliminate.

WHAT MORONS! :lol:

Cool Pic!

Okay, WTF? I could have sworn that city was Alaca Huyuk... :confused:

7. kingfire87

kingfire87 Chieftain

I meant modern day, he was almost to the present year of 2008. I had a feeling that leaders repeat over and over again...:) :)
    Woot! FIVE updates in such a short period!

8. Ryyrk

Ryyrk Chronic Underposter

Do you delight in noticing every single detail of this story, Choxorn? Or do you just do it to annoy us?

I had no idea that there was that city, much less its name!

C'est la vie...I guess.

9. Tasslehoff

Tasslehoff Kender

I'm fairly certain it's both ;)

10. choxorn

Tassle's right, although it's slightly more the first one. :mischief:

11. Quintillus

2008 AD -

There's a technology I don't research too often, coming to an airport near you! Though chances are you don't actually live near an airport, unless you live in Australia, but we're rapidly changing that, too. So pretty soon we'll all be able to see stealth planes - while they're not in the air, at least. Really we don't even need Stealth, but it can't hurt.

We set out on 4-turn Smart Weapons at a 1700 gold per turn surplus. No corruption is great for Modern Age research.

We finally break the 100 million population mark at the beginning of this turn, as well! I expected it to come long before this, but better now than later. We're over half a million square miles of area as well.

We begin the turn with an attack on England's last city.

We win the attack, and England is down to one Infantry. They should fall next year.

Next comes yet another advance against the Hittites. America will be attacked soon, but we're going to finish off the Hittites first.

After the capture of Satsuma, the Hittites are down to ten Infantry.

Make that nine.

Seven. By the time we're done with South America this turn, they're down to two - one defending their last city in South America, and one defending their last city in northern Canada.

We also manage to hit the Inca this turn, razing a city they recently founded.

They are down to three cities. We steal their plans and see exactly where they are - easy prey for the next couple turns. Or this turn, for that matter.

Vitcos is razed to the ground, a new Greek city to be founded there once we're winning the war with America, which hopefully won't be too long.

Sumeria also faces renewed attack.

Overall another very good turn. America has little time to prepare now - they'd best trade techs with Sumeria, and quick. All of Asia, Europe, and Africa, as well as Australia, is now sending troops to the New World, and our Armies are now on the American side of Hawaii. The start of the war is approaching quickly.

2009 AD - We will remove the Hittites from South America this turn!

The Hitites are reduced to one city in the far north. A Transport full of Modern Armor is already headed there. While we wait for it to arrive, we target the Inca.

The Inca are heavily reduced this turn, and three Modern Armor reach the gates of their last city, eager to destroy them next year. Though a small consolence to the Inca, there is good news for them - the English will be destroyed first!

Seven civilizations remain. We decide to wait one more year to invade America - next turn we'll have more than twenty-five Modern Armor ready to invade, and five armies on top of that. That ought to do a good amount of damage ;).

2010 AD - Here is the World Map at the beginning of the turn:

America has 106 Infantry and 20 Cavalry. Greece has 25 Modern Armor and five armies just waiting to invade. What will occur during the early years of the war? Much destruction, certainly, but for the exact results, only time will tell.

12. Dezzilisk

Dezzilisk THIS GUY.

Ahhhh... the globe looks good in green.;)

13. Tasslehoff

Tasslehoff Kender

Greeeeeeeen is goooood. :)

14. D0NIMATRIX

D0NIMATRIX Full of drivel

You're going to need more troops in greenland unless you just raze all of Sumeria.

Or nuke it...

15. choxorn

You should have said some event in 2008 happened today and made a strange reference to it or something. :mischief:

Those Inca cities just like getting destroyed, don't they?

Green will pwn all. Greece rules teh world!

16. 3Davideo

3Davideo Chieftain

I bet America might mount a counter attack.

On Tlacopan.

And win.

17. bunny_lard

bunny_lard Chieftain

See!!! I told you the Babs would loose their pandas! :lol:

18. Frozen In Ice

Frozen In Ice Chieftain

He should made a reference to the Giants going to the Superbowl!!!

19. Quintillus

It is a rather pleasing color. I'm glad no one usurped Greece's default color this game.

Correct you are! We'll get more there sometime. Maybe hurry an airport, either that or just transport. Nukes wouldn't speed anything up with Manhatten not even started.

The problem with that is it inevitably dates the story (even more than the fact that it is CivIII does). And there aren't really that many things to reference to this early in the year. I considered making an allusion to the start of the story in 2007, but it didn't really add anything.

I don't follow pro football, college just a bit. I didn't even know the Packers had lost until dinner tonight.

Where's they get their pandas from in the first place? :confused:

That contingency did occur to military leadership.

20. bunny_lard

bunny_lard Chieftain

Fine. Seeing as you have some sort of prejudice against pandas, how about they lost their ponies?