Conquests 01: Final Spoiler

Normally within 5-10 days after the month is over, though lots of factors influence this (like AlanH's access to beer :D )

denyd said:
lots of factors influence this (like AlanH's access to beer :D )
Beer would only slow the process down for a li'l ole wine drinker like me!

AlanH said:
Beer would only slow the process down for a li'l ole wine drinker like me!

I knew you were cultured. Now I have the proof! :wine goblet:

Well this was my first Conquests expansion game ever - thanks GOTM staff for reviving my interest in civ. I haven't played civ in at least a year and was kinda rusty but enjoyed this game.

Domination victory in 1985
Firaxis score 4142
Jason score 4915

My original intent was to go for spaceship but after conquering my continent and then making contact with the other tribes my bloodlust was roused and I thought what the heck this is a great chance to try out the beefed up Conquests armies!
And hey - armies are worth using now, in fact possibly a little over - powered. Although if SGL are turned off it more than makes up for it.

Apart from armies, nothing in the expansion really gave the game any different flavour in my game anyway. it will be more noticable when we get an agriculture or seafearing civ and I'm hoping for one of thoses in the 2nd game - pretty plz guys.

A question for you long term players. What changes in conquests made COTM01 more or less fun in your game compared to vanilla civ or PTW ?( without delving into exploits like palace jump, or the completely reworked corruption equation)

Thanks again GOTM staff - now my interest is renewed I feel GOTM32 beckoning!

Well my first ever GOTM ended in success, and I didn't expect anything different. I am a monarch player so, once I got over the bad start, I wiped out the other civs on my continent and then settled down.

IA circa 1300 AD
MA circa 1750.
Spaceship victory in 1838 AD. (200 years behind the best players :( ).
Jason score 5354

The most interesting thing to happen was Portugal landing 8 knights and a crusader next to Mecca when my army was only one MDI army and one Knight army. I attacked and killed 5 knights but my knight army was badly wounded. Then, instead of attacking Mecca straight away they marched towards the nearest city. The next turn the cavs I rushed attacked the knights on a hill. None of them won :mad: Luckily my knight army survived fighting two weakened knights and my MDI army finished off the last two. Later on China tried the same thing with cavalry but by this time I had tanks so they were no threat.

One thing I learned is the automated workers mad obsession with roading everything. By the modern Age I had fully improved my core cities so I decided to stick on automated workers to do the rest. Then it went round sticking 1 worker on each unroaded square and systematically covering the entire continent (including squares I never used) in rails. Even by the end there were a couple of slaves working on the mountains railroading it. It was wierd...

dojoboy said:
I knew you were cultured. Now I have the proof! :wine goblet:
:lol: :lol: Nah! Small bladder ;)

Woot! 100k culture win! Before a SINGLE tank or plane was created! Of course it helped that I was the only one in the modern age and decided I didn't need any...

Software Version: C3C 1.22f for Windows
Entry class: open
Game status: Cultural 100k Victory for Hittites
Game date: 1934 AD
Firaxis score: 3199
Jason score: 4453
Time played: 22:29:45

Summary: After traveling for thousands of years through the desert, we came upon our promised land. I took over everyone on my continent before Navigation. The Chineese killed off the Koreans, and was working on the Portugeese, so I decided to help. I took over the Portugeese lands, along witht the ivory and silks, and banashed them to the northern islands. I realized around 1880 I was going to win via culture, and just TEN turns before I would win, the Zulu decide to attack me...with Impi's! Heh. Well, I razed 3 of their cities and took thier capital. There were only 2 wonders now that were built but not mine...but the game is ending. Ah well.

Great fun!

King Of America said:
Open
Cut to the chase : 100 K Victory in 2006
Kiech said:
Woot! 100k culture win! Before a SINGLE tank or plane was created! Of course it helped that I was the only one in the modern age and decided I didn't need any... Game date: 1934 AD
Good games for both of you! Well done!

Tasting good wine is a greatly rewarding experience, especially if you have the privilege to do so when wine bottles are properly selected to match a pleasing sequence of fine courses...
Of course, your wallet will have to be larger than your bladder :p (btw, mine is definitely not :D )

I tried COTM1 just to be among the ones who played it, so that I will be able to tell my offspring, seventy years from now, that I was actually one of the first COTMers...

It was my first real C3C game, so I missed a lot of opportunities and I ended with a 1170 domination victory which won't even compete with the best ones.

Just a few notes, then:

Start and initial expansion: I settled a couple of tiles from the starting position, along the river and between the dyes. I totally missed the point about clearing forests.

I built four Scouts and quickly explored the entire continent: when I saw the Flood Plains downstream, I decided to build a couple of "slow settler factories" there, which were in fact my second and (IIRC) fourth city.
I did get a settler from a hut, but it was a couple thousand miles from any useful place...

Without any significant food bonus, I also thought that I would spill settlers from other cities, which caused me to decide that I wanted the Pyramids as soon as possible, without waiting to capture them. So, I built them in the capital.

The rest of my expansion was towards Arabia, with which I had a couple of wars.
Soutwhards, it went very slowly across the desert, and I waited for Sumer and Babylon to reach me there.
The only exception was some penetration towards the western coast, where a hut gave me a city that I didn't really want. It was close to Iron, though, so I made some efforts to connect it in a reasonable time (a few centuries, that is... ;) ).

Forbidden Palace: I built it fairly close to Hattusas, in the "Arabian grasslands". It was probably too close to be really effective, but I haven't got a good feeling of its effectiveness yet.

Research: I got most of the AA techs from huts. I completely forgot about the Philosophy thing, though, so I had to research the Republic myself, which took me a lot of time.
In addition, being used to Vanilla, I didn't pay too much attention to the Middle Ages free tech. I remembered that when I gifted Korea into the MA and saw that they got Engineering instead of Monotheism.
So I did the same the other scientific civs, who all got Engineering -disappointing...

I personally don't like too much this reintroduction of a free tech with Philosophy (was it in Civ2 or even in Civ1?). I mean, it more or less freezes your research path in the Ancient Ages...

Talking about that, the free city from a hut is also something that reappears from the older civs, and I do not like that either. I mean, just give me a settler and let me decide where I want the city :D

Wars: I started with Arabia because they were the closest and had reasonably good lands. They also got horses...

I had also forgotten the increased upgrade cost, of course :blush: so I couldn't upgrade quite as many warriors as I wanted.
Their Spearmen must also belong to a powered-up batch, so after capturing two or three cities I had to make peace with them as I was running out of units.
The war was resumed much later on, when I wanted to start my Golden Age and I could finally wipe them with Swords and Chariots.

After wiping Arabia, I used the GA to reach Miitary Tradition while building Leonardo's Workshop.
This was done around 900 AD, and from that point on it took really a short time to wipe Sumeria and conquer enough of the other continent to reach domination.

Sumeria was really aggressive in my game.
They expanded incredibly fast, and declared war at least three times on me. I just fought defensively until I was ready to counterattack, but were they a nuisance!

Is the agricultural trait so powerful?

I also found Armies to be really effective, even more so now that great leaders won't be useful for anything else. The extra movement and the multiple attack mean really much.
In this game, I only used two-units armies, but they were more than enough.

All in all, a great game -even though I wished it would be the Incas... ;)

Karasu said:
Sumeria was really aggressive in my game.
They expanded incredibly fast, and declared war at least three times on me. I just fought defensively until I was ready to counterattack, but were they a nuisance!

Is the agricultural trait so powerful?

Yes, agricultural is the best trait. All us HoF players love it!

I know this may sound stupid, but being relatively new to the forum i have a simple quesiton. How do u a quote a specific part of someones message.

SniperDevil said:
How do u a quote a specific part of someones message.

Just click "quote" in the bottom right in that person's post and delete from it what you don't want to include.

Edit -> Doh! Beaten' to the punch. ;)

SniperDevil said:
How do u a quote a specific part of someones message.

Hit the "quote" button at the bottom of the message you are replying to:

and you get a screen like this where you can edit the quoted text and add your own comments.

Karasu said:
Now look at this. You ask a simple question, and hordes of people rush to answer -all at the same time... :lol:

:crazyeye: Wow, if this can work every time and every where around the world, i think we should have no more problems. :crazyeye:

Top Bottom