Cookbook B (Buffy & Deity)

Fippy

Mycro Junkie
Discussion thread link

I noticed we have players submitting new saves quickly in the other cookbook, and figured i could add another game now for those who want to play some more :)

Things seem to go well overall for Sillyman and maybe we have players who look for a challenge.
I was thinking about "Immortal hard" but reconsidered..Deity with little barb issues should be accessible.

We will use a start that will make you think, to buff(y) things up further AIs are aggressive and their personality cannot be identified easily.
For more variety added i used small map size (4 AIs).

Screenie
Spoiler :
Can you lead Warrior Queen Boudi to victory with this intriguing start?
(it's obviously edited :))

For rules / guidelines which remain unchanged please click >>here<<

Turnset 1 goes until Friday December 4, please play 60 turns again.

The HoF & GOTM mod can be found here >>Buffy<<
Boudi awaits your response :popcorn:

Attachments

• Boudi.jpg
    Boudi.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 558
  • CB Deity.CivBeyondSwordSave
    27.6 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
What a glorious start! Maybe we'll need it?
Hmmm... Celts start with Myst&Hunting. Agri, Mining and AH are must haves it seems. Will be interesting to determine the best order of these three and when to fit in bronze working. I plan to give it more thought this time.
SIP sure looks nice and keeps the suspiciously unforested hill in the BFC.
Settling 2E exchanges the sheep for the cow (plus a lot of mystery tiles). I like it because then 1S of sheep would be a really nice second city with it's own sheep and sharing corn, silver and 3 cottages with the capital.
Btw, will the two rivers be connected via the lake tile, i.e. will SIP have access to silver without a road?

Anyway, thanks for the game! I still have to pick a save and play the second round of the Ottoman game first. But already looking forward to playing this one!

Lots of options indeed! I opened the save and did a little foggazing. Two observations:
  • 1E of Silver is coast! 1NE also seems coastal, 1SE looks like unforested grassland
  • The Sheep can be farmed, giving the possibility to delay AH a bit
Besides SIP or 2E I consider settling 1NW, which gives 4 commerce tiles besides Sheep, Silver and Corn and keeps the unforested hill. It also opens a great early GPP city 1N of the Fish.
Seeing that Silver is coastal settling 2E seems a bit less attractive.

Where would you move the scout? Besides 1NW, 1N there seems no move that really benefits the settling dilemma. Instead maybe 1SE, 1SW?

Deity with little barb issues should be accessible.
Intriguing start again with several possibilities, not least tech-wise. One concern on Deity is barb security, so does the above line indicate we may not need to go early Archery? This is basically a staple of Lain's games, and something I've tried to implement more when trying out Deity. It does slow us down, but slow is better than dead :blush:

Given the post above, though, maybe it just means there is very limited land in most directions, so easier to fogbust.

Boudica is a tricky one due to starting techs. But does give the option of a little Stonehenge failgold.

Was actually eyeing 1S a little, for even more food, but probably silly and just overkill, and moving away from silver is kinda odd :lol:

SIP looks like a fine choice to me really. +1 :commerce: forever on the city tile. Can put a city next to fish early (or as backfill) which should be autoconnected to the capital due to continuous coast in culture. Has a few decent cottage tiles too, and maybe something cool in the fog. Maybe some seafood near the cow too, for a good city over there (E/NE of Cow). Worried about losing the FP area to the super fast AI settling, but unless that happens, that is a great area for heavy cottaging, for example NW of Deer.

Agri->AH seems like the most important start, but maybe it's possible to squeeze in Mining before AH? AH does take a while on Deity. Then BW next, perhaps, unless we require Archery. There used to be a saying that we shouldn't self-tech BOTH AH and BW, but maybe that advice has fallen to the wayside by now.

This should definitely be a learning experience for me, because Deity is genuinely bloody difficult.

Here is a picture of the lovely Bodhi :mischief:
Spoiler :

ooh, I want to try one of these :) I keep coming back to this game every now and then -- here are my initial thoughts, but I might not get around to playing this for a couple days

- Similar to @mscellaneous I did some foggazing - in addition to the coast east of Silver, there also seems to be coast 2NW, 1N of the scout
- Given that @Fippy told us there are "little barb issues" I'm willing to bet we're on a fairly small landmass, perhaps iso? But I'd bet we're not isolated, so probably on a smaller landmass with just one AI ... that means the FP near the scout are likely in big danger of being taken ... maybe early warring hmm?
- I like charismatic
- Since we can farm the sheep, I don't think its worth to go AH; so my intended tech path is Ag --> Mining --> BW
- SIP seems fine, I don't think moving would be a game-changer here

Yup the scout was placed there so resis are visible.
One tip, there are no major hidden ones (other than strategic)..what you see is (almost) what you will get.

Interesting how few mentioned 1sw yet, deer are 6 yield too with the worker arriving faster.
Having non-coastal fish an interesting pick.

Last edited:
Interesting how few mentioned 1sw yet, deer are 6 yield too with the worker arriving faster.
Having non-coastal fish an interesting pick.
Thought about that actually (do I get a cookie? :D), but figured non-coastal fish would be a little awkward, and that it would be better for a city that can get a lighthouse. Would also need another city to make the workboat ofc. But PH is always nice. Loses the free commerce, though, which might be nice in the early game. Kinda gets it back from the oasis, however.

Have started playing now so can't write more. But can say that I wanted to scout west to try to meet somebody. Open question how that turned out, but since I wanted to start with Agri here, which all Deities have, I figured we could get some free beakers.

edit: Looking at the image again, there can be a city on the desert hill (with SW capital), which still works the fish. Maybe something to try?

Yikes. Didn't feel very great, but here is my go at T60.

Attachments

• Pangaea CookbookB T60 Boudi BC-1600.CivBeyondSwordSave
    81.7 KB · Views: 97
Besides SIP I would consider 1S (better food) or 1SW (fast worker) at first glance. With all the teching we have to do I don't think we can afford to abandon silver.

Then alternatives would be 1NW which is basically the same as SIP, gets more inland at the expense of 1T slower and killing a forest
Or moving east where apparently more coast awaits. I don't trust the blue circle. That could be based on the corn and cow.

SIP will play nicely. Farm corn, farm sheep , min silver, chop (some idle turns I think) + settler at size 3 moving to deer+FP's. Agri first then head to Bronze
Another city at the cow and on the desert hill.

T60

Attachments

• Sampsa CookbookB T60 Boudi BC-1600.CivBeyondSwordSave
    81 KB · Views: 96
I haven't played yet. Looking at the save I think settling 1 SW for the PH city tile and forested deer is going to be the strongest. There's a lot of strong tiles in that screenshot to get worked ASAP.

There is one tile in the fog in the original BFC near the Silver that looks to be unforested. It's the only tile a strat resource could naturally appear on. It's an edited start so atypical resource placement may be in play.

I'm considering settling city 2 between sheep and silver. That lets me skip AH in favour of Ag-->Mining-->Bronze. 2nd city can borrow Corn from capital while growing.

But I'll see what scouting shows first. :)

T60

Spoiler :
Axe rushing a Deity AI with access to copper and horses and all hilltop cities isn't a great idea. I don't think this is recoverable.
Save attached but it's not pretty (I Shaka-ed my stack against Madrid last turn but it wasn't going to make a difference.)

Attachments

• Boudi BC-1600.CivBeyondSwordSave
    82.1 KB · Views: 96
Another interesting start! You're evil My ;):devil:
After looking all things through I think SIP is the way to go following the Agri-Mining-AH-BW route. I'm guessing (precalculating) that this should give the worker no idle turns.
Again I'll be playing this one way above my skills :).

Oh dear... Again :sad:

Spoiler :
Write-up moved to discussion thread

Attachments

• Mscellaneous CB B BC-1600.CivBeyondSwordSave
    82.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Thank you for another interesting start :crazyeye:

Attachments

• Dorhin_Boudi BC_T60.CivBeyondSwordSave
    80 KB · Views: 86
T60. Thanks Fippy.