COTM 23 - first spoiler - entering middle ages

Gyathaar

Warlock
GOTM Staff
Retired Moderator

COTM 23 First Spoiler

To qualify for this spoiler, you must have:

1. Reached the middle-ages.
  2. Met at least 2 other civilizations (dead or alive).
  3. Have explored the mountain areas near your start position.

What was your strategy in the early game? Did you attempt to pop the visible goodie hut with your worker :mischief: ?

If you have met more than 3 civilizations, then hide any map knowledge beyond the 3 nearest civs...

YOU EVIL PERSON!!!!! :aargh::aargh::aargh:

Gyathaar said:
What was your strategy in the early game? Did you attempt to pop the visible goodie hut with your worker :mischief: ?
I did try to pop the goody hut, and boy was i annoyed when i saw india was going to take it. I traded with them, and we were at parity for a short period of time. Less than a turn to be exact. They popped pottery from the hut. :mad:

Settler then went down to the south, and after finding out Delhi was the only possible coastal city, my plan was made for me. I bult approx 6 archers to take Dehli, but my attempt failed. It took a stack of 10 archers and a spear to conquer Delhi. I earnt myself a GL :woohoo: but wouldnt be able to make an army till i built 2 more cities :wallbash:. It then took much longer to get MM and Rep, to get off my **** island. At least i had commerce.

Then the barbs on the second island... dont get me started on them. My 2 spearmen and 4 archers took out at least 50 barbs on that goddamn island. Eventually, i'd built Pyongyang, Wonsan and Pusan, with the building of Wonsan meeting my next obstacle, the Inca. They were so technologically advance i nearly threw my laptop across the room. All i knew was that they were in the MA, and that JS Bach Cathedral had been built somewhere.

Then came the MA, when things got (a little) better for Korea.

Awesome map! This is the funnest map I've ever played. I can't imagine all the time required to create this COTM, but thank you so much Gyathaar. Tons of fun! Most challenging.

Crazy map. Absolutno without variants strategy.
1. Goto Republic
2. build GL
3. Kill India
4. Build next cities - only 3 (+capital+Delhi)
5. Build 5-6 workers and mountinas roads.
6. build 20-30 swordsmaen, move then in desert a kill all around.
7. GL givs 20-30 tech...
I think - main starategy on this map - 20K, but it is chess - not civailisation.
Not interesting way for me. May by my goal UN or domination...

After dying horribly early with my galley in the previous COTM, this one was a must play. Once I saw India was going to take the goody hut, I did not trade with them. They got pottery, so I traded for that with Bronze. Of course I did not build a granary.

The research goal was the republic slingshot. We had a lot of gold available but few shields for quite a long time. I hit republic in 1575, and got a 2 turn anarchy, not surprising since we only had our capital. Traded for IW after a few turns and WC, and went after India. Beat them up right after the QSC, taking 7 archers and a warrior to vanquish them. I made sure to trade republic to them before declaring so they couldnt pop rush another spear.

The next challenge was clearing out the barbs so I could get a city on the outer ring of the next little island puzzle. No empty places to land with my settlers and archer/spear forces. So it took until 50 AD to plant a city there and meet the Incas. But the Incas sucked, falling quickly to archers and a few swords. I simply extorted techs from them and redeclared, and I'm holding off on getting the last AA tech until I meet some other folks. I might jump my palace to Inca land but I'm a bit tentative since their lands suck so bad.

Similar results to what has posted so far. India got the hut, later I killed India. I did however build the Great Library as I took Literature with the Philosophy bonus. At that point I wasn't in too big of a hurry to meet everyone else. I eventually founded the remaining spot and built a colony on the gems (my only luxury). I acquired iron when Delhi expanded, but did not build a harbor on my outer ring to allow my 2 inner cities to build cheap units for upgrading. When I finally reached the Middle Ages in 950 AD. I quickly shot through half of the MA techs. I had met the Inca when founded my external port city. I realized they were behind the leaders in tech, so when I met Sumer, I bought contact with Alexander before the turn ended and got about 5 extra techs. At this point the world is still in land (or should I say desert) grab mode. When that's complete the Inca will be leaving. I did revolt to Feudalism (my first GOTM expierence in that Government) as it looked like the perfect government for this map.

Let me start by stating that this map is a Nightmare:eek:

Not sure what my initial goal is:

3950 BC: Moved Settler North and skipped the worker turn.
Contact with India: Pottery+10 Gold off India for Bronze working.

With all the discussion about the hut, I find it amusing that Inda popped it right away. :) Evil evil man.:)

3600 BC: Finally founded Seoul. Right by the 4 fish to the south. Fish are in the marsh? Start Writing at maximum.

3200 BC: Since the worker had little to do I scouted around a bit but found nothing. Started clearing marshland.3100 BC: First warrior built

2550 BC: Have reached size 4 in Seoul. Have decided on a warrior rush vs Ghandi so I am working 2 mountains, 2 fish to get a warrior every 2 turns.

2510 BC: Declare on Ghandi. Take a worker that was working on the gold mountain. Start a road back to Seoul.
2470 BC: A spearman is defending Delhi, I forify on the mountain and will attack with about 8 warriors.

2430 BC: Marsh cleared. I wish I hadn't scouted but started clearing the marsh earlier now.
2070 BC: An indian warrior finally attacks my warrior fortified on the mountain and dies horribly.
1990 BC: Peace with Ghandi to get Ceremonial. Get the wheel for writing and immediatly redeclare war. Start on warrior code.
1750 BC: 8 Warriors take out India. Delhi starts on Curragh A Settler in Delhi Yields 2 workers which is nice.
1650 BC: Warrior code complete. (Initially with the intentions of getting archers to take out India.) Start on Map making
1350 BC: Curragh takes out Barbarian Galley.
1325 BC: Curragh takes out 3 Barbarian Galleys. Thank goodness its Warlord!
1275 BC: Elite Curragh continues its rampage taking out another Barb Galley
1250 BC: And Another.
1175 BC: Galley discovers we are completly locked in. Wonderful.
1125 BC: Finished Map making, start Literature.

1000 BC:
- 2 Towns
- 7 Warriors
- 1 Settler
- Bronze, Alphabet, Pottery, Wheel, Warrior Code, Ceremonial Burial, Writing, Map making.

950 BC: Maya (whoever they are) Completes the Pyramids.
875 BC: Take 25 gold from a barb Camp just in the inner Ring. Was about to found a city on the spot but 1 square NW will have a fish in Range with cultural expansion. So move and wait a turn.
850 BC: Founded PyongYang. Start on a harbour.
825 BC: Finish Literature, start on Iron working.
750 BC: Take Barb camp to the West. Athens completes Collosus.
670 BC: Complete Iron working, Start philosophy.
610 BC: Founded Wonson on the outter part of the "Ring" allowing access to the outside world.

Looks like a future Palace jump may be in order. Wonson starts Galley for contacts.

570 BC: Moving a warrior to the farthest Western mountain yeilds contact with Inca. Sweet.
Get philosophy for just 16 gold since I was only a turn away. Inca are WAY out ahead unfortunately. Inca are already a Monarchy.
510 BC: Complete Masonry. Maya completes Oracle. Start on Mathematics.
410 BC: Complete Mathematics. Start Mysticism.
390 BC: Seoul finishes Settler and now is building up mass archers to prepare for an Incan attack.
310 BC: Celts complete TOA, Dutch complete Mausoleum
350 BC: Founded Pusan to the West. Start Library to get the 3 fish in sight after cultural expansion.
330 BC: Finished Mysticism, start code of laws.
290 BC: Sumeria Completes Hanging Gardens.
210 BC: Code of Laws. Inca doesn't have Republic so start on that. (17 turns though :-/ )

170 BC: Maya Finished Statue of Zeus.
110 BC: Greece Finshes Great Wall.
30 BC: Maya Finishes Great Library.
10 BC: Inca Finishes Great Lighthouse. Galley finally pops out, outside the Ring. Time to go exploring. With 2 archers that is. Galley heads North.

50 AD: Galley is being pursued by 3 Barb Galleys, I run away as I can't afford to lose it without settling somewhere outside.
110 AD: Rush another Galley in Wonson to transport settler outside. Amazingly Get Republic before Inca. Am not able to trade to Tech Parity but am able to get Currency and Construction for Republic + 32 Gold.

130 AD: Didn't need to worry about those Barb Galleys. My galley took out 5 of them.
150 AD: Revolt to Republic. 4 Turns of Anarchy.
170 AD: Inca start Sun Tzu's 8-o.
190 AD: My Wandering Archers Contact Sumeria. BOY are they backwards.

I have: Philosophy, Code of Laws, Literature, Map making, currecny and construction ahead of them. Strangely though, they have horseback and Poly ahead of me.

I Trade Philosophy and Code of laws for Horseback and Polytheism.
Also trade Republic for Monarchy.

Entering the Middle Ages. I draw Engineering as my free tech. Inca won't trade Feudalism for engineering though.

Afterthoughts. A Palace jump won't be used as the Incan land is absolutly aweful.

7Losses' Challenge to the world: If anyone out there can get a sub 1000 AD Conquest Victory I will personally shake your hand. (Yes, I will travel to your country.)

What a map! Thank you Gyathaar. I love it!

I started by moving the settler. As I said I would do on the pre-game thread, when nothing interesting appeared, the worker moved east with the intention of opening the goodie hut. When he met the Indians instead, both units moved towards the center of the map. Seoul was founded south-west of the little lake in 3650BC. The worker started by clearing the swamp.

Build order: Worker-barracks-archer-archer-archer…
Research order: Masonry-Writing-Philosphy-Map making (free tech)-Math

I also gained Pottery, TW, WC, IW and CB from the Indians.

After Math, I started fifty-turn research on Currency while I built up an army to take out the Indians. In 630BC, I ROP raped Gandhi with 8 Archers and 5 Cats (yes, I had built a road to Delhi). It turned out that this was massive overkill as I had no casualties taking 2 spearmen and a warrior quietly.

Later events:

330BC Meet Incas, they are up at least 5 techs on me.
250BC P’yongyang founded on the outside
170BC Seoul turned into a worker factory as we prepare to road the mountains.
190BC Wonson
90BC Pusan. That’s it. There’s no space for any more cities. Unit costs are down to zero though!
50BC Code of Laws. Sapa knows Republic :( I was hoping I could research that for trade purposes. Whip a galley in P’yongyang
30BC And a Harbour in Delhi
10BC Establish embassy with Inca. Sapa only has two spearmen and is building the Gardens with 33 turns to go. Time for my second ROP rape!
70 Amsterdam completes the Gardens. Oh well.
130 Literature
210 Mysticism
270 Horseback Riding, meet Inca
290 A road is finished from Wonsan to P’yongyang, allowing cats to get to the coast.
340 Attack Cuzco with a force of 8 archers and 7 cats, taking the city at the loss of an archer.
340 Polytheism
360 Gems and iron connected; Ica falls; meet Sumerians
420 Generate first leader. We’ll save him for a MDI army
440 Construction and enter ME. Engineering is our free tech. Not bad. Even better it’s a monopoly tech. The others know Republic, Monarchy, Monotheism and Feudalism. But not Engineering! Trades coming up.

Interestingly, my reaction to this map is completely different - it's more of a "screw you, this is stupid". I dunno - it seems to me that Civ is a game of infinite complexity - and this map reduces at least the early game to "find a place to settle, build archers, kill india and move off the island.

What's the point of that? Make sure we are behind the AI?

I don't understand - a monarch game where each AI has 3 cities before you settle, so the beginning is more like demigod or deity, and a warlord game where initial strategy is completely predetermined.

Not sure I am going to play COTM, cause what's the point?

I do understand that many people love these maps and I'm not criticizing, even though it sounds like it. I just don't find it very interesting. You have to either go OCC, or kill the indians.

This game might be interesting to see if you can get a UN vote without knowing any other civilizations (after killing the indians of course).

AutomatedTeller said:
You have to either go OCC, or kill the indians.

You can't go OCC. I considered this but rejected it because you'll never meet anyone until they arrive at your city gates with bombers.. You have to kill the Indians and get off thei island. After that, you have options.

AutomatedTeller said:
Interestingly, my reaction to this map is completely different - it's more of a "screw you, this is stupid". I dunno - it seems to me that Civ is a game of infinite complexity - and this map reduces at least the early game to "find a place to settle, build archers, kill india and move off the island.

What's the point of that? Make sure we are behind the AI?

I don't understand - a monarch game where each AI has 3 cities before you settle, so the beginning is more like demigod or deity, and a warlord game where initial strategy is completely predetermined.

Not sure I am going to play COTM, cause what's the point?

I do understand that many people love these maps and I'm not criticizing, even though it sounds like it. I just don't find it very interesting. You have to either go OCC, or kill the indians.

The last 2 maps (including this one) have been very different, since Karasu is away. (I think its the reason at least) Gyathaar is evil, and since he makes maps for SGOTM, he used one of the maps he had planned. Probably for a higher level (although i may have no idea what im saying right now).

Abegweit said:
You can't go OCC. I considered this but rejected it because you'll never meet anyone until they arrive at your city gates with bombers.. You have to kill the Indians and get off thei island. After that, you have options.

Not necessarily. You could buy contacts because india will probably found a city on the outter ring, they will meet Maya who meet the other Civs.

So a OCC 20K or Diplomatic would be possible. I may try doing just that after I have submitted to see what I can do.

India is not ever going to found a second city. The Incas or the Sumerians will eventually show up after their home continent is full. Probably around 1500 AD.

Abegweit said:
India is not ever going to found a second city. The Incas or the Sumerians will eventually show up after their home continent is full. Probably around 1500 AD.

India will if you can get them Map Making. I think.

Abegweit is correct
In my test, I got up to 1700 and the Indians have yet to build another city nor contacted anyone else

I think it might have something to do with unit support and not being able to support a galley so never build it

@7losses

Interesting. I don't think that unit costs are the reason though. In my game, they only had 2 spears and a warrior, yet did absolutely nothing for a thousand years after I gave them mapmaking.

Assaman's theory about barbs might have something to do with it. OTOH, they did the same thing in SGOTM8 where barbs weren't a factor.

Dunno. All I can say is that the AI does not deal with this situation well at all as both this game and SGOTM8 demonstrate.

Top Bottom