COTM 25 Pre-Game Discussion

My thoughts were S to that river side GL. Then worker to irrigate and road the wines. A couple of scouting warriors then a settler and a granary. Research Alphbet to Writing to CoL then the Philosophy for the Republic Slingshot. City 2 will found near the cow build a barracks and alternate between workers & vet warriors.

Of course when I find out I'm sharing a small island with Germany & the Aztecs without any iron, I'll change course to an Archer rush.

Hi...
I would go for the cattle first then with another city for the wines... I look for a right place for posting my questions but I couldnt find ti so ill post it here I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to ask this.

I instaled the GOTM software i got CIV III complete edition but I havent been noticed about any changes in the gameplay... I have played for few minutes and in a random map choosing the GOTM MOD in the scenario list... I just want to know if there is a way to confirm if I installed the thing in the right place... thanks.

dark_pretender said:
I instaled the GOTM software i got CIV III complete edition but I havent been noticed about any changes in the gameplay... I have played for few minutes and in a random map choosing the GOTM MOD in the scenario list... I just want to know if there is a way to confirm if I installed the thing in the right place... thanks.
COTMs are Conquests games. That means they are played in Civ3 Conquests Edition, and require no mods. If you launch Civ3 Conquests you should see its version number in the bottom left of the main mnu screen. If that isn't version 1.22 then you have a problem. Tell us what it says and we'll work out what you need to do.

The GOTM mod is purely for players who only have the Civ3 original "vanilla" version. That and Play the World are not used to play COTMs. They are required if you wish to play GOTMs like GOTM 55 that start mid-month, but I would recommend using Play the World if you want to play them, then no mods are required.

1.22 so I just need to download the current GOTM save and load it ? BTW having complete edition is possible to launch just PTW? every time I run the shortcut in my desktop it launch conquest

You need to go into the actual program folder then you will see the icons to launch PTW and Gold (which is vanilla) Use your right click to put the shortcut on your desktop.

Just to restate, go to your drive, usually C:, then program files, then it should be in atari or firaxis, then civ complete then in there look for the PTW icon.

dark_pretender said:
1.22 so I just need to download the current GOTM save and load it ?
For the avoidance of doubt: You just need to download the current COTM save and load it

BTW having complete edition is possible to launch just PTW? every time I run the shortcut in my desktop it launch conquest
What Marsden said. It should open a different main menu screen, with version 1.27 at bottom left.

I'm going to try this COTM, hopefully it will go better than some of my previous ones. I think I will settle NE and maybe go for a conquest or domination victory.

@WackenOpenAir I see your point about getting the cow in the initial radius, but then you have at least 2 less BG in the initial radius, although I'm not sure how much of a disadvantage this would be. You'd also loose the gold, although who knows what bonus might be in the blackness at the top.

Anyway, good luck everyone!:)

Mwoimp said:
@WackenOpenAir I see your point about getting the cow in the initial radius, but then you have at least 2 less BG in the initial radius, although I'm not sure how much of a disadvantage this would be. You'd also loose the gold, although who knows what bonus might be in the blackness at the top.

Almost no disadvantage; you are only restricted to the initial radius for 10 turns, by which time you can only reach pop 2, so it is fine to have just the moo and one beegee next to the town. Wacken is right that settling next to the moo essentially brings your game forward by three turns, but the trade-off is less commerce in the capital in the medium term. Of course you will settle the river and the gold with your first ring, so you get that commerce back from other towns... reckon I'll be settling 1N then!

@PaperBeetle -- remember that in C3C, rings don't matter.

The expression "first ring" existed long before the discovery of RCP. It refers to those cities which are in the inner ring around your capital. To qualify as first ring, cities do not have to be all at the same distance. They simply need to be in a direct line to the capital with no city in between.

So, who's in for ancient age conquest?

carmen510 said:
errrrrr. I can't get save in. It's always that rings program thing that Turner made.
I don't understand this post. If you need technical support, please PM me or ainwood.

carmen510 said:
errrrrr. I can't get save in. It's always that rings program thing that Turner made.

Sounds like you try to open it instead of save it when downloading. Since you have 'that ring program thing that Turner made' installed and that program has the .sav extension connected to it, your computer uses it to open the file.

Rightclick the link with the save file, choose "save target as" and choose the civilisation/conquests/saves folder.

carmen510 said:
Are you doing (as wacken suggests) trying to open it instead of downloading it, or are you downloading it, then double-clicking the save file to try to open it?

If the former, follow the instructions in the post above. If the latter, then you need to know that Civ3 doesn't allow you to double-click on a save file to open it. You need to start Civ3 first, then use the in-game menus to load the save.

P.S. - its not Turner's rings program; its written by dianthus (Turner just ahs it in his sig).

Top Bottom