COVID-19 virus thread (formerly Wuhan coronavirus)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess a silver lining is I got to take the kids to Universal Studios last weekend
Which Universal Studios?

Part of me is tempted to steal a couple liters and sell my own on ebay/Etsy.
Don't do that. Not only could it get you fired (which alone is not worth the risk imo), you could also break laws or regulations you aren't aware of. Unless you're the IPA guru and know all the regs

In a free market, optimal resource allocation occurs when prices are high enough so that the last item is sold to the final person able to afford the price.

If that doesn't work, it might be an indication that a free market isn't appropriate for the situation.

Suppose (a thought exercise) that we allocate ICU beds in hospitals according to who can pay the most.
Suppose the ones with the most money happen to be older, near-death, and unlikely to survive anyway. Furthermore suppose they are also unproductive sobs who live off rents from their inherited stakes in businesses.
Suppose that as a consequence people who were likely to survive, who are young with many years ahead to labour and produce, are the ones displaced and left to die during an emergency, because the ones above take all available care.

How is that market optimal? Strictly in market terms the future value of the few people thus preserved, in terms of what they still have ho offer, to produce, is much less than the value of the people left to die. Even in strict terms of optimal market allocation of resources this is a fail, as the "value of people" (damn, I hate the very expression) is not a function of their capitals goods value but merely of what they accidentally happen to own at the time.

Economics is a bullfeathers science. It only works in its own fantasy land of rules defined by the economists. In the real world it fails, and fails and keeps failing. Don't shrug this off with the excuse "this situation is just not a market problem". The reality is that all complex stuff is not a market problem. It's human problems where personal power (as in who is wealthier and can use that power) counts.

We're seeing this on the coronavirus containment. Those with large houses or more than one house can afford to do quarantines at home without infecting family members. Those without, and worse those forced to share home with strangers, cannot. The ones with good jobs or savings can take time off to care for kids. The ones living on weekly wage cannot afford to even stop. Market economists would say "it's just the market operating". That allegation of inevitability is a lie.

Sorry for the politicking. But some lessons ought to be learned now about changes to society in order to make it more resilient in situations of catastrophe.

I'm still probably not going to do it because my conscience says "stealing is wrong even if it's something that will otherwise go to waste". But it is tempting...

And you are right to have a conscience blocking that. Don't join the bloody game, don't normalize, don't start accepting, the very worst of the social customs causing problems now.

Last edited:
I work at a giant alcohol plant. I've been making up my own hand sanitizer from old samples we were going to pitch anyway. The WHO recommendations for 1 liter are as follows, assuming a 10 L batch. Obviously scale down by a factor of 10 for a more reasonable 1 L batch.
[from wiki, I added the last bullet point]

Part of me is tempted to steal a couple liters and sell my own on ebay/Etsy. Sure it would be a risk of being fired, but a very minimal one, and I'd make a killing and marginally increase the amount of sanitizer on the market. I'm still probably not going to do it because my conscience says "stealing is wrong even if it's something that will otherwise go to waste". But it is tempting...

Loophole: Sell it for very cheap to people who need it most. That way you feel good about getting sanitizer to people who can use it and reducing waste.

Saw a YouTube video that raised a good point. That point being how quickly people are willing to give up their rights in the event of a crisis. For example, bans on public gatherings over a certain size is 100% a violation of the 1st Amendment right to peaceably assemble. The 1st Amendment is widely regarded as the most important of the Bill of Rights and considered to be the very core of what makes the US the US. And yet now we are seeing the government blatantly strip us of that right while the people just let it happen as they cower in fear of a virus they most likey won't catch, and extremely unlikely to die from.

It's truly shameful how people in this country are acting right now. Letting fear and hysteria get the better of them.

When a temporary evacuation order is issued because of some catastrophe, is that a violation or rights? Perspective, this is temporary and I at least am not seeing countries doing more than threatening fines on business to discourage gatherings. It's not as if there is police to go around and arrest people gathering on their own. In fact that would be gathering people (arresting them) and counter-productive.

Saw a YouTube video that raised a good point. That point being how quickly people are willing to give up their rights in the event of a crisis. For example, bans on public gatherings over a certain size is 100% a violation of the 1st Amendment right to peaceably assemble. The 1st Amendment is widely regarded as the most important of the Bill of Rights and considered to be the very core of what makes the US the US. And yet now we are seeing the government blatantly strip us of that right while the people just let it happen as they cower in fear of a virus they most likey won't catch, and extremely unlikely to die from.

It's truly shameful how people in this country are acting right now. Letting fear and hysteria get the better of them.

As a schoolfriend said to me a long time ago: "the problem of many principles is that you can't eat them... and you should therefore keep the amount of principles low enough... otherwise you end up without food or principles".

It's still not entirely clear if Trump's going to sign it (he's been going back and forth all day) but it looks like a relief package will pass Congress. The deal includes 2 weeks of paid sick time for sick employees and 3 weeks of paid family leave to care for family that is sick. Somehow small businesses will be paid back. There's also a billion dollars being put up to feed kids that won't get meals at school, as well as additional food relief for needy families.

It does not include a payroll tax cut, near as I can tell but it does include free virus tests for all citizens that need it.

When those parents have essential functions, like for example working in (medical) care, police, firesquad, etc, etc... it becomes a public interest to keep those parents working.

I think that most people can still find family or friends to take care of kids. It's not as if there will be a lack of people with free time at home. In some cases (Switzerland?) states are designating some schools to keep kids of those people doing critical work now.

I'm sure that closing universities very early on was necessary, to avert the scenario of students leaving on their own when the epidemic got worse, back to their hometowns and spreading it further!
Primary schools, because they serve local communities, did not pose that specific danger. So it could be delayed and argued over I guess.

It's still not entirely clear if Trump's going to sign it (he's been going back and forth all day) but it looks like a relief package will pass Congress. The deal includes 2 weeks of paid sick time for sick employees and 3 weeks of paid family leave to care for family that is sick. Somehow small businesses will be paid back. There's also a billion dollars being put up to feed kids that won't get meals at school, as well as additional food relief for needy families.

He can be forced to sign, can't he?

They're reporting that Trump's FDA denied expedited approvals for test kits from pharmaceutical companies and research institutions during the critical opening stage of the pandemic.

He has no responsibility for the situation though. /s

From the rants thread, but responding here because I already wrote this before I saw LM's quarantine instruction.
Who are the ones dying though? It's the same type of people that die from the flu and other diseases. So again, in that context, what makes this virus more worthy of causing societal shutdowns than other viral outbreaks? There have been far deadlier outbreaks (in terms of mortality rate, not absolute numbers) in recent history that didn't cause nearly as big of a panic. That's what makes this whole thing seem like a manufactured crisis.
Our medical system has the capacity to deal with a steady number of severe flu cases every year. It doesn't have the capacity to deal with a surge of many millions of hospitalizations from covid. And that's what'll happen without major containment efforts, if you take a look at the growth curves. It's spreading exponentially, with the number of infected doubling every week or so. Left unchecked, it'll infect a large double-digit percentage of the US population. Perhaps 20% of those will need hospitalization and 1% will die.

However, if we don't, at the very least, manage to spread those infections out over time ("flatten the curve", as the slogan goes), we're risking a much higher death rate due to hospitals being utterly overwhelmed. For reference, look at Italy's healthcare system right now: it's in a state of massive crisis. Hospitals are operating way above capacity and treating people in hallways and lobbies. They have a huge shortages of supplies like respirators and not enough nurses and doctors. And that's the situation with 18k confirmed cases, not hundreds of thousands or millions.

Yes, it is true that the seasonal flu infects and kills a lot of people. But covid is a much worse predicament:
Spoiler :

And something to point out: that 0.1% for the seasonal is the case fatality rate. And therefore the actual seasonal flu fatality rate could be something like 0.03%. Yes, it is true that that 2.3% for coronavirus is also just the case fatality rate and the true rate is surely lower. However, we still have good reason to believe the true fatality rate is 0.5-1% for coronavirus with adequate healthcare provision.

Now, we could try to look at this entirely in economic terms because, yes, there's a big economic cost to prevention efforts. Regulators and insurers often try put a price on a human life, which I believe is often around $5 million. If hundreds of thousands or millions die, that's weighing in at the trillions in monetary damages, if we just go ahead and take that number for granted. Of course, you might point out most of these deaths were old people, not any human life. Not all, but yes, many. But, if I'm not mistaken, people in the business of putting a price on these things price a QALY even for someone in their 70s at being worth around $100k and they have a life expectancy of at least another 10 years (provided that you have already made it to 75, you can expect around another 10-13 years of life). So... we're still talking about trillions in monetary damages from deaths alone. Of course, there are other monetary costs to account for. At least a few percent of the infected could wind up with lasting fibrosis. I don't know how to estimate the cost of that, but considering that, again, we're talking about inflicting potentially millions of Americans with permanent lung damage, I think that'd be a huge lasting source of healthcare expenditure.

Leaving monetary issues asides, there's also a risk of political disaster ensuing when hundreds of thousands of angry people tell their governments "you let my grandpa die in the hallway without a respirator because you wanted to protect GDP." Not a good look.

It's really telling where this administration's heart is when in the press conference they unveiled a flow chart showing people where to get tested with a title, "Caronavirus Testing: New Options for Consumers"

Most of the press conference was taking up with bragging about how great Trump and America are. They literally re-framed the test kit delay as a sign of Trump's genius.

Edit:
They are waiving all interest on student loan interest for loans gotten from the federal government.

The government is also stockpiling crude oil.

Edit 2: He brought Pence in just to praise him.

Edit 3: Anyone want to put a bet that the student loan servicers will find ways out of the interest waiver? I am certain (based on past precedent), they will go right on racking up interest on all the accounts they are responsible for servicing.

Edit 4: A new testing website should be up by Wednesday to tell you where to get a drive-by test done after an online screening.

Edit 5: They're putting new restrictions on nursing home visits, to be announced. Also putting in more inspections of the facilities by the federal government as well.

Here is the President's conference today (March 13th, 2020) at around 3:30 PM eastern.

@2:40 national emergency
@12:46 new screening website
(Google is not actually building the website :trouble:…)
https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/13/...testing-screening-website-drive-thru-covid-19
@15:25 Wal-Mart drive-thru parking lot testing, finally!

We need drive-thru testing like South Korea. :)
It is nice because people can drive home to self-isolate, and don't have to go to the doctor or hospital to spread it everywhere.

A few states are trying it.
https://www.businessinsider.com/photos-drive-through-coronavirus-test-site-new-york-2020-3
New York just opened its first drive-through coronavirus test facility at the site of a major outbreak
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-testing-so-popular-they-had-to-shut-it-down
Colorado’s new drive-through coronavirus-testing station in Denver made its debut Wednesday and was quickly overwhelmed.
At one point Thursday, the line of cars with passengers waiting to be swabbed was almost four hours long, until the state cut off the service for the day.

Last edited:
I think two weeks should be enough to see good results, and after three weeks things can go back mostly to normal. Apart from border controls, those will have to be in place for months, until the whole world has dealt with it.

I think that most people can still find family or friends to take care of kids. It's not as if there will be a lack of people with free time at home. In some cases (Switzerland?) states are designating some schools to keep kids of those people doing critical work now.

I'm sure that closing universities very early on was necessary, to avert the scenario of students leaving on their own when the epidemic got worse, back to their hometowns and spreading it further! Primary schools, because they serve local communities, did not pose that danger.

Oh
regarding secundary schools and higher educations I would have closed earlier.
(except the highest class of secundary school preparing for their final exam)

The problem with finding family and friends to take care of primary school and kindergarten children is that you get schedules where several people are engaged for the same children. That only increases spreading.
Just allow parents to decide what they prefer and the pressure is gone on the primary schools.

Rock bottom the only thing that counts is how many people are infected on average by any patient before recovering and becoming non-infectious.
If school classes are with a free regime reduced to typical 50%, the rate of infecting goes down to 50% as well.
If the rate was 1.8, causing exponential growth, and the rate becomes 0.9 (1.8*50%), the effect is a dying out of the infection.

Do mind that whatever is restricted now must be kept up a long time !
Panicked people (the hoarding) say now yes to everything... escaping... but will they hold out ?
And when not... and they break out... what other more usefull actions come at risk of eroding social discipline ?

BTW
What goes down under in the current newsmedia discussions is the importance of washing your hands and distancing (that 1-2 meter).
It is a very effective factor in the infection rate decreasing possible with Covid-19

Mass gatherings of the type "long distance spreading" are imo also very dangerous.
They can infect villages, neighborhoods that were so far clean.

Last edited:
@hobbsyoyo and @innonimatu i hope you two are right! I’ve never seen anything like this.

I also highly suspect part of the reason why it’s so hard to get tested for this illness in the United States is Trump is deliberately making it as hard as he can. Why? To help his re-election campaign. If people can’t even get tested at all, then we will have far less known cases than other countries, making it APPEAR as if his administration is particularly competent at getting this under control.

I have heard he’s already denied international aid that were trying to supply testing kits.

Can we charge Trump with murder of the people who die of COVID-19 because of inadequate

Kids stay home from school for 2.5 weeks (odd in WI the closing of schools starts on Wednesday, so kids still gotta go back 2 days next week), gotta stock up on food.

Walmart-alot of stuff was 50-80% empty (estimates). Soups was empty, milk was 90% empty, eggs 80%, Bread empty except the odd ones like triple fiber, brown potatoes-gone (still some red potatoes), orange juice 80% gone, water 70%, meat 50%, frozen pizza 75%, breakfast cereals 60%. Don't know how this compares to a normal Friday night, never go at that time.

Daughter brought up one solution for those without toilet paper (besides leaves and fingers), use the paper towels but put in garbage instead of toilet.

making it APPEAR as if his administration is particularly competent at getting this under control.

Well... can he surpress the death rate figures as well ?

Doctors are AFAIK autonome in establishing the cause of death.

To which the government should respond "Your grandpa was going to die anyway, if not from this then from something else. We can't condemn millions of others to poverty by shutting down society in a way that could crush us economically for who knows how many years after this is over just to save people who are at the end of their lives anyway."

The US government dumped billions of dollars into stock market. I think they can afford health care and unemployment insurance for all the citizens. But they're just the bottom of the rung so they don't matter not like the rich people.

Which Universal Studios?

Don't do that. Not only could it get you fired (which alone is not worth the risk imo), you could also break laws or regulations you aren't aware of. Unless you're the IPA guru and know all the regs

I'm not going to do it, but not for that reason either - more just because I'm not morally willing to steal from my employer and profit from said theft. I'm confident enough in avoiding legal trouble that I'd think the risk would be worth it, simply because of the large volume of people doing similar things at a larger scale than I would. I'd be clear in the description about exactly what it was, including that no organization had approved it for use as hand sanitizer, and it's truly incredible what is sold in the US with very little but "This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.”

Of course I could be wrong and it would give me some pause, but my order-of-magnitude estimate for the odds of ending up in serious legal trouble is around that of my dying of this disease. No more than a factor of 10 higher.

(The most likely thing to be caught for would probably be HAZMAT shipping regulations on flammables. I've bought enough crazy stuff from people who were definitely not following those and still remained in business for long periods of time to know the odds are not super high. :lol:)

And you are right to have a consistence blocking that. Don't join the bloody game, don't normalize, don't start accepting, the very worst of the social customs causing problems now.

I guess I would have to ask - if I purchased the alcohol legitimately, can you make a moral argument against putting more sanitizer on the market at prevailing prices? Or to use aimee's argument and sell somewhat below current ebay prices? Not all alcohol currently on the market is being used for disinfectant, so the total available supply of disinfectant to the public would be increased on net. And rationing by shortage doesn't seem to be all that different to my mind than rationing by price - some people are deprived of it either way. Now it's a different story if I were to buy up all available alcohol I could find that was already being marketed for disinfectant and reselling it at a large markup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom