Crashes, Crashes and More Crashes

I had the same problem and I can’t seem to bypass the launcher (I’ve tried and for some reason it just doesn’t work). I’ve turned off barbarian clans, that seems to have stopped the crashes.

Did you include the " in the launcher bypass?

I can't remember Civ6 crashing on my Windows 10 machine since release. After this most recent patch I'm getting crashes every hour or two. Well it freezes and then I need to kill it.

That is exactly what I was getting. I bypassed the launcher and it did not crash the last time I played. Hopefully not a coincidence.

Has anyone else been dealing with frequent crashes since last patch. I got crashes while loading an frequently when playing.
Add me to the list of frequent crash experiencers. NFP/vanilla/DX12, Win 10, i7-8700k stock, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM. Seems often to hang up at end of turn and have to use task manager or hard reset to get out of it. Have been able to resume using auto save file each time.

I'm not getting crashes in single-player. However, cross-platform mutli-player is a dumpster fire for me right now. If I host (PC) my two teammates (Mac) desync every turn. If they host I crash to desktop after every turn. I've tried bypassing the launcher, Direct X 11 and 12, etc. I've now uninstalled / reinstalled and am going to check tonight and see if it was the new Zombies mode causing the issues (had it enabled) or if this is a general result of the new patch. Before this patch things had been stable for months. No mods enabled, strictly NFP + older DLC's.

I tried my first game with the April patch yesterday. No problems with the launcher. It does take me a long time to get from the game set-up to the actual game map. I'm running a ten year old pc (I5-750/4gig/HD5870). In the past, I assumed my slow game starts were due to my old machine. Now it sounds like more modern computers are having similar problems. I was playing a dual map on quick speed. About 45 turns in, the game stalled on the "first sword" event when I updated my clubman. I thought it was going to crash to the desktop. It did recover. After that, I had to look at the blue circle on every action I did. I played another 5 or so turns. This took about an hour. I finally saved the game and exited. It had been taking a long time for saves to load on my machine since before the season pass, so I did not want to wait an hour to resume the game.

I am reporting to the community that I have attempted to play CIV VI on five separate occasions since the release of the April Update and each play session has ended due to a crash to desktop or the perpetual hang. Some have lasted 50 turns, some 10.

I do not have this issue with other games. I have updated Direct X, all component drivers, Windows, and have run every diagnostic I could think of. No issues found. I have had issues with the new Launcher active and while bypassing it. The game would rarely CTD prior to the release of the April Update.

Sure hope these issues are being investigated. I hope Firaxis and 2k have a plan for continued support. I hope to hear from them, possibly on this forum, their findings and either take the necessary Actions or give guidance on how to fix the problem. The 2K support staff attempted to help, but the issue persists.

no Mods, all dlc, Windows, i7-9700, 32gb RAM, GeForce 1660 ti.

My game started crashing every 1-5 turns in April, and it had been fine before. The crashes made Civ unplayable.

The system is a 2020 HP Omen laptop with Ryzen 7 4800H, GF GTX 1660Ti, 16GB 3200 RAM, Win10. No mods. Launcher bypassed. Latest drivers and updates to everything in the system. All DLCs and expansions for Civ installed.

The crashing issue might be linked to the infamous windows KB5001330 update from early April. It is widely reported to cause FPS drops and game crashes in many games. Microsoft implemented some hotfix for it at the end of April, but I see people are still reporting issues after the hotfix. Uninstalling KB5001330 is recommended to restore game performance.

Initially I could not uninstall the update. I could see it on the list of recent updates, but it was not displayed in the menu that allows you to uninstall updates. However, after I uninstalled all the updates that were installed after the 1330 update and restarted my system, it became possible to uninstall 1330, too.

I do not have time at the moment to test whether this solved the crash issue, but I will report back here within the next few days.

Edit: I just managed to play ca. 10 turns without a crash, the best result in several weeks. So I think I can tentatively say uninstalling the KB5001330 Windows update did the trick.

Edit 2: I tired playing more, and again I ran into crashes. Apparently the 1330 update solution was either false or temporary. On page 6 of this thread I describe what I did next to fix the crash issue, with good results.

Last edited:
That is exactly what I was getting. I bypassed the launcher and it did not crash the last time I played. Hopefully not a coincidence.
I just tried last night bypassing launcher and still getting the same hangs/crashes =/

Second time I get the infinite looping with AI turn never ending and have to terminate the application using Windows task manager - this had never happened to me before the last patch

@Chefofrats hinted at the likely cause of crashes / freezes / stutters for many players. Microsoft did issue a fix for the KB5001330 issue. You can check if the fix has been installed on your PC:

1. Open Windows Powershell
2. Type: Get-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FeatureManagement\Overrides\4\1837593227

If it returns with "Path not found" then the fix is NOT installed on your system;
If it returns with several lines of info, the fix IS installed.

Good luck!

If it returns with "Path not found" then the fix is NOT installed on your system;
If it returns with several lines of info, the fix IS installed.

However, my internet searches indicate that some users still report crashes they had not had before installing the 1330 update even after the hotfix you write about was applied to their system.

I had a truly hilarious crash yesterday that I am still laughing about

Loading a game, and the game informed me that I had a script error and something about improper mods installed and crashed

Ya I’m on xbox Fireaxis

Quick (positive) update: we opened a ticket with Aspyr over the weekend and sent them our save game. They responded Monday (after my first post in this thread) stating that they had released a patch to resolve the desync issues. Neither of my Mac users noticed Steam patching, but the game worked flawlessly for hours yesterday evening. Perhaps it was a server-side patch? Does Civ VI even use servers for game hosting? I thought it was hosted locally by the person setting up the game. In any case, a happy ending for us; we were able to play ~50 turns without incident.

I just managed to play ca. 10 turns without a crash before I had to quit the game for lack of time - the best result in several weeks. So I think I can tentatively say uninstalling the KB5001330 Windows update did the trick.

Last edited:
I had a truly hilarious crash yesterday that I am still laughing about

Loading a game, and the game informed me that I had a script error and something about improper mods installed and crashed

Ya I’m on xbox Fireaxis

Ha I got told to disable mods when I disabled my mods to try and stabilise my game... but I guess you got me beat! XD

I was getting crashes between turns and lags as well (Win 10). I thought my video card is dying, even tried to reduce its clock speeds, but it turns out I am not alone here.

Yeah, the game is basically unplayable now. Crashes all of the time. Had absolutely no issues prior to the last patch.

Reactions: LMT
Since the new launcher my game has been crashing regularly, whereas very rarely crashed in thousands of hours prior. The menus are super laggy - exiting the the main menu from in game, loading, starting a new game - everything. Sometimes the game hangs up when initially launched and the sound cuts in and out sometimes. My PC is anything but godly, but I didn't experience any of this pre April patch.

Top Bottom