Cross-Platform Civ3 Editor

Cross-Platform Editor for Conquests now available! 1.48

Hello Quintillus,

I always wanted to ask if it would be possible to add a War Trigger to your Cross Platform Editor?

The War Trigger starts a War between two Nations after maybe 20, 30 or 50 Rounds and than there is no Peace Negotiation Possible? A Locked Alliance.

For Example a WW2 Scenario starts in 1939 with German Empire and Soviet Union, both start with Peace. But if you reach the Year 1941 in Round 30, the War Trigger starts automatically a War and you can't make Peace anymore, because Locked Alliance?

Hunterkiller
This sounds more like a question for Flintlock.

Hello Quintillus,

I always wanted to ask if it would be possible to add a War Trigger to your Cross Platform Editor?

The War Trigger starts a War between two Nations after maybe 20, 30 or 50 Rounds and than there is no Peace Negotiation Possible? A Locked Alliance.

For Example a WW2 Scenario starts in 1939 with German Empire and Soviet Union, both start with Peace. But if you reach the Year 1941 in Round 30, the War Trigger starts automatically a War and you can't make Peace anymore, because Locked Alliance?

Hunterkiller
Ozymandias is 99.8% correct that what you propose isn't possible via the editor. Fundamentally, the editor is limited to what the game can understand, and the game has no understanding of the concept of a locked alliance changing after a certain period of time, or the largely concept or events.

Flintlock has taken a different approach to inject code into Civ3, which has allowed some new functionality to be added, quite an impressive amount really. Would it allow something along the lines of what you propose? I'm not sure; there are still easier and more difficult changes with that approach.

-----

The other 0.2% is the possibility that what you describe may be possible, with the help of a reload, via one of the editor's less-heralded but promising features - the "SAV Actions -> Apply Rule Changes" area. Currently, this allows the CTZN, RACE (CIV), RULE, and TERR sections of the rules to be replaced on a SAV file. The requirement to reload reduces the smoothness of it, but you could design a scenario where at each era, the player it supposed to reload the rule and civ sections and have the civ traits change, as well as the default barbarian units, for example. The player would still have to remember to save, apply, and reload, and it would be too tedious to have each civ's traits change as they enter a new era, but it would work.

By adding the PROP tab to that "Apply Rule Changes" area, what you describe could work. Start the scenario with no locked alliances, and after the rule changes are applied, there's a Locked Alliance.

Let me know if this option sounds appealing (although it certainly wouldn't hurt to see if Flintlock already has something that would work more smoothly). It isn't especially difficult to add new sections to the "Apply Rule Changes", though it requires some testing and verification. I'm not aware of anyone yet using that method as a recommended procedure for a published scenario, but a few people have said they've used it effectively in their personal mods.

Quintillus, I keep finding out more ways to use your editor that are not too complicated for my aged mind. I have found that it is possible to rearrange the order of units into something that to me makes more sense. This means that I am less likely to overlook a unit because it is not grouped with similar units.

Thanks for your Advice, Quintillus & Ozymandias. I will try to pitch this War Trigger Idea in the Forum of the Flintlock Mode. I have not tried the Flintlock Mode yet, I cant say much about it.

Tried to use the updated (1.48) version. I've got the Liberica Java 8, restarted.

I click on Conquests Editor.jar, I see this:
1701258818216.png

I click OK.

Nothing else happens.

It seems to be looking for civ3editor.ini, which doesn't exist in the 1.48 download. So I restored the .ini from the 1.44 version I deleted, and I get the same message as I got from that version:
1701259589305.png

The editor acts like I still don't have Java 8 and defaults to Java 11, at which point it's still unusable.

If I manually open with the Java Platform SE Binary or the OpenJDK platform binary, then I get the first setup message again without any further elaboration.

Last edited:
Can someone please write a guide on installing the java jre 8 version so the crossplatform editor latest version can work on a PC that uses java 11?

Can someone please write a guide on installing the java jre 8 version so the crossplatform editor latest version can work on a PC that uses java 11?
Assuming your PC is running Windows, the best way to do that is to first download the "Windows XP version" (which ships with a version of Java 8 that works well on XP, but which also works on newer versions of Windows) from this post (link https-ized today, so if you tried before and nothing downloaded, it should work now). Then start the editor using XP_launcher.vbs (recommended) or Editor_XP.bat (which will leave a command-prompt window up in the background). It should work as expected.

To migrate to the latest version, download that version, and decompress the files into the same folder where you have the Windows XP version living. It will overwrite the files that have been upgraded, while leaving your user preferences, auto-saves, and so forth intact.

Assuming your PC is running Windows, the best way to do that is to first download the "Windows XP version" (which ships with a version of Java 8 that works well on XP, but which also works on newer versions of Windows) from this post (link https-ized today, so if you tried before and nothing downloaded, it should work now). Then start the editor using XP_launcher.vbs (recommended) or Editor_XP.bat (which will leave a command-prompt window up in the background). It should work as expected.

To migrate to the latest version, download that version, and decompress the files into the same folder where you have the Windows XP version living. It will overwrite the files that have been upgraded, while leaving your user preferences, auto-saves, and so forth intact.
Nice! Thanks for the help.

Moving the editor discussion over here.

I see this in the console on startup:
Code:
4602 [AWT-EventQueue-0] WARN com.civfanatics.civ3.xplatformeditor.TechTab  - Scenario file not found
java.io.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file (using UNIX method); last hope was /mnt/data/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization III Complete/Art\tech chooser\Icons\06-bronzeWorking-small.PCX
    at com.civfanatics.civ3.xplatformeditor.utils.findFileUnix(utils.java:243)
In this case, it should be "Tech Chooser": paths in Unix are case sensitive!

And then this if I try to add a custom map:
1713150721103.png

Here the issue is that my file is under "civ3PTW"

Code:
name: Iron Works
SmallWonderCharacteristics: 0 | 512
This is all that's printed in the diff, no field breakdown as in the other cases, and I confirmed that "in city radius" is checked in both files. This is the only building in either file with that flag, so I suspect it may a bug in how that one is parsed.

Edit: this is all from 1.24 so it's possible these have been addressed in later updates

Last edited:
@Quintillus is their a quick way to add a bunch of cities? I am swapping out a couple of Civs and need to replace cities, leaders, etc. I can't copy and paste. I am not looking forward to typing several dozen city names.

In this case, it should be "Tech Chooser": paths in Unix are case sensitive!
Ah, but in this case the editor is reading in the lowercase "tech chooser" from the PediaIcons.txt file!

I should look at the C7 solution for making paths case-insensitive, as I remember that was more elegant than anything I had come up with, and fixing case-sensitivity bugs has been a recurring issue, in part because of cases like this where the Civ III text files refer to paths/files in a case-insensitive manner. Changing the case of all the Civ files, while technically something that would solve it, is also not a very reasonable solution.

Here the issue is that my file is under "civ3PTW"
Specifically, "Sid Meier's Civilization III Complete/civ3PTW/Art/Terrain/x_airfields and detect.PCX" ? The editor always searches first in the scenario search path, then the Conquests folder, then PTW, then Vanilla, so the Vanilla path being last makes sense. Ah... but the CD version uses "Civ3PTW", whereas on Steam it's "civ3PTW", so it missed it because of the case-sensitivity. See also, need to integrate C7's method of finding paths case-insensitively on Linux/Unix; there's just too many edge cases to patch individually when the Civ3 files and versions themselves assume case-insensitivity.

This is all that's printed in the diff, no field breakdown as in the other cases, and I confirmed that "in city radius" is checked in both files. This is the only building in either file with that flag, so I suspect it may a bug in how that one is parsed.

Edit: this is all from 1.24 so it's possible these have been addressed in later updates
It could be an issue with that field, will take a look.
It looks like they have revamped their main menu navigation system. Java 8 is available at https://bell-sw.com/pages/downloads/#jdk-8-lts , and if you are on Windows, the current Java runtime is
@Quintillus is their a quick way to add a bunch of cities? I am swapping out a couple of Civs and need to replace cities, leaders, etc. I can't copy and paste. I am not looking forward to typing several dozen city names.
If you mean to the city list for a Civ, then yes (though it's not particularly obvious). To add a bunch, have them in a list in a text editor/the Firaxis editor/a CFC post, e.g.:

Code:
Babylon
Barcelona
Byzantium
Copy them with Ctrl+C, then put the cursor on the city-name field (when it is empty), and press Ctrl+V:

1713290348019.png

The city names will be appended at the end of the list.

You can also mass-delete by Shift/Ctrl clicking to select more than one (shift for adjacent range, ctrl for non-adjacent one-by-one selection), and right-clicking and choosing Delete.

This works for military and scientific leaders as well.

If you mean on the map, there isn't an express way of adding cities, though their ownership can be reassigned.

Thanks, @Quintillus that is just what I was looking for. I am on a Mac. I was CMD+V into the big box (city list). CTRL+V into the small box (city name) worked like a charm.

I have one more question. I am guessing that it relates to an earlier issue I had being on Mac, but running the Windows version of C3C via WINE. I can't edit CIV colors. Whenever I click "Edit Civ Colors" I get the pop up "Would you like to copy the Firaxis colors into MOD NAME folder ...." I get "Error Copying PCX files" "Civ color editing could not be enabled due to not being able to locate the Firaxis PCX files" and then the editor freezes.

I'm sure Quintillus will manage to find/fix any problems getting civilisation colours changed in his editor but, for now at least, I can do that with a saved game file, should anyone care to request it.
I'm thinking of speed here so just until Quintillus has replied explaining, either how to get it to work, or with a fix to make it work.

Obviously, any request would also need to specify exactly which colours to use for which civilisations.

Better still, provide a list of from & to civilisations for their associated colours. The list of available colours is quite limited I believe and your names for them may not match mine unless specified via an existing civilisation ;-)

Feel free to send via PM if not wanting your file to get out to the public.

Top Bottom