Isabella: 1
Alexander: 1
Elizabeth: 2
Churchill: 1
Brennus: 1
Louis XIV: 2
Augustus Caesar: 1

By the way, feel free to take back your votes.:D

My vote is for Huayna Capac. I play the game with no tech trading on harder levels. (Monarch/Emperor.) On Emperor level he is the only leader I seem to be able to win with for any type of victory.

As for a cultural victory... Huayna has an early religion. Granaries that act like libraries and all the wonders you wish. Plus his early UU allows you to steal nearby AI workers and stifle nearby AI growth. This is necessary so you can get the needed 9 cities. You can build cathedrals for each religion in each of your 3 cities.

Playing this way I can win without putting all of my income into culture. Personally I find putting all income into culture is risky as you fall behind in tech and run the risk of being conquered...

My vote is for Huayna Capac. I play the game with no tech trading on harder levels. (Monarch/Emperor.) On Emperor level he is the only leader I seem to be able to win with for any type of victory.

As for a cultural victory... Huayna has an early religion. Granaries that act like libraries and all the wonders you wish. Plus his early UU allows you to steal nearby AI workers and stifle nearby AI growth. This is necessary so you can get the needed 9 cities. You can build cathedrals for each religion in each of your 3 cities.

Playing this way I can win without putting all of my income into culture. Personally I find putting all income into culture is risky as you fall behind in tech and run the risk of being conquered...

if you put only half the commerce into culture, it takes twice as long to finish and you still fall behind, but twice as long :(

Gandhi: 4
Ramesses II: 4
Huayna Capac: 4

By the way, when would be a good time for turning the culture slider to 100%?:confused:

My vote goes to Gandhi as he is the only leader that I have managed to veer get a cultural victory with, having failed with Cyrus, Alexander, and Isabella. I always get beaten up for not having any armies when aggressive leaders have no respect for my fabulous temples, cathedrals, and theatre districts.

I have done it on Warlords so far with Saladin, Qin Shi Huang, and Huyana Capac. WIth Huyana, I did it using almost purely Great Artist bombs, so I didn't switch to 100% culture until the last 10 turns (or something like that.) I was teching all the way to the end!

Gandhi: 5
Ramesses II: 3
Huayna Capac: 5

jkp1187, do you vote for Huayna Capac?:confused:

Gandhi: 5
Ramesses II: 3
Huayna Capac: 5

jkp1187, do you vote for Huayna Capac?:confused:

Yes, I will -- sorry, didn't realize we were choosing 'best' victory.

I have done it on Warlords so far with Saladin, Qin Shi Huang, and Huyana Capac. WIth Huyana, I did it using almost purely Great Artist bombs, so I didn't switch to 100% culture until the last 10 turns (or something like that.) I was teching all the way to the end!

yeah i voted for Huayna because is quite good for doing it but mainly because it was my most interesting/least typical cultural win. i completely changed focus mid-game, which led to farther teching than i do in "focus on culture from the start, pick my opponents" type games.

Wang Kon here is my favorite cultural leader.

On Noble I take a random leader.
On Prince I choose Wang Kon.
Once I am comfortable with winning regularly winning at Prince with Wang Kon then I will start choosing random leaders on Prince.

Starts with Mysticism - speeds up the race to COL for courthouse production plus maximizes the odds of getting 2 starting religions (I beeline COL at the beginning of the game for courthouses and for the religion which invariably gets started in a non-capital city for +5 culture a turn plus a missionary for +1 culture a turn for a third city).

Protective - Archer and Gunpowder units get bonuses, allowing me extra ability to defend against the inevitable attacks from whichever civilization is the designated "attack the human player" civ.

Financial - keeps me up in the tech race.

I play at quick speed (I prefer faster games).
I generally do not turn the cultural slider up until I have around 20k out of the 25k culture points needed for victory in all three culture cities. The exact time that I switch is usually dependant upon when I get my last military tech, with all cities cranking out military units the last moves of the game.

Well actually the game for me is about 3 phases: initially build cities and deal with corruption issues, then build science and culture buildings, then build military. My time of biggest vulnerability is right as I am getting to Gunpowder. After I get COL/Alphabet/Monarchy I get the worker techs and Drama/Music, and then I beeline to Paper and to Liberalism through the religious line, building as many buildings as I can get a way with, and then when I get to Gunpowder I start building as much military as possible, sprinkling extra culture/science buildings along the way once the military buildup commences.

I've learned how to postpone enemy civ attacks until after I've built up my military - well on Noble I most often have a completely peaceful game. It's easier and safer to be generous to civs when you are ahead of them in tech. In fact on Noble I will often gift "safe" techs to neighboring civs when I have a tech lead. On Prince I am often left with the options of either giving them a tech I would prefer them not to have - or no tech gift options at all.

Wang Kon here is my favorite cultural leader.

On Noble I take a random leader.
On Prince I choose Wang Kon.
Once I am comfortable with winning regularly winning at Prince with Wang Kon then I will start choosing random leaders on Prince.

interesting thoughts, thanks for that post. i'm very good at cultural victories when i do them "my way", which is pick my leader and pick my opponents. but one of these days i'll work up to trying random opponents and i'll definitely have to keep in mind some of what you mentioned.

interesting thoughts, thanks for that post. i'm very good at cultural victories when i do them "my way", which is pick my leader and pick my opponents. but one of these days i'll work up to trying random opponents and i'll definitely have to keep in mind some of what you mentioned.

At prince level, you can get a cultural win with tokugawa if needed.
All it takes is Rexing (or a little war) for the land.
You don't run the risk of a super early spaceship.

At prince level, you can get a cultural win with tokugawa if needed.
All it takes is Rexing (or a little war) for the land.
You don't run the risk of a super early spaceship.

pshaw. i can't play as tokugawa. it goes against my nature. my momma taught me to share, he's so stingy when played by the AI that i'd feel schizophrenic or something. plus red clashes with my hair. but i might try it some day.

I just won a Cultural Victory at Monarch with Louis. The industrious trait is good for wonders and the UB gives you artists. Not to mention that he's fat AND ugly.

So I vote for Ugly Louis.

i just won in 1763 (huge, marathon) with catherine. this took half as long as my domination win, and wasnt nearly as exciting. its really a builders win i suppose. One of the most frustrating parts was only getting 1 Great Artist the entire game. I birthed 4 great prophets, gah!

Top Bottom