Votes: 6 8.7%
  • Phoenicians

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • Zhou

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Random

Votes: 10 14.5%

• Total voters
Okay, so here is my ultimate list of expected civs and their focuses. I won't change it anymore, unless something is denied. Let's see how correctly could I predict.

Medieval
Spoiler :

Arabs - scientist
Aztecs - militarist
Byzantium - aestethe
England - builder
Franks - expansionist
Khmer - agrarian
Mali - merchant
Mongols - militarist
Vikings - militarist
Teutons - expansionist

Early modern
Spoiler :

Dutch - scientist
Joseon - scientist
Kongo - aestethe
Ming - merchant
Mughals - builder
Ottomans - expansionist
Poland - agrarian
Spanish - expansionist
Tokugawa - militarist
Venice - merchant

Industrial
Spoiler :

Austria - expansionist
British - scientist
French - expansionist
Iran - aestethe
Iroquis - merchant
Nepal - militarist
Russians - builder
Siam - aestethe
Swedish - scientist
Zulu - militarist

Modern
Spoiler :

America - scientist
Brazil - aestethe
China - builder
Ethiopia - agrarian
Germany - militarist
India - aestethe
Italy - scientist
Japan - expansionist
Korea - merchant
Soviets - scientist

Civ has conditioned me to the point I find any European culture classed as 'Scientist' slightly strange despite making sense! Having a science focused British culture would be a very nice change of pace.

Eh, these confirmed lists make too many assumptions for my taste. Wonders, Units and Descriptions don‘t have to mean anything really.

So on Tuesday we will get the Arabs or Abbasids or in the case of Ummayads/Fatimids the Aztecs. Arabia is interesting since they can give them practically every trait. expansionist - just look at a history map; scientist - algebra is literally a arabic term; Militarist - It‘s new tactics that allowed them to expand so fast; Merchant - being the bridge between India and Europe; aesthete - a distinct architectural style was started here, there‘s lots of poetry and so on.

I struggle a bit for agrarian or builder, but there‘s the Dams or Marib or in modern times the whole of Dubai. The traits just don‘t fit to the medieval era or might work better for a sub-culture, i.e. I can see the Moors in the Maghreb/Spain as builders. Some might fit also better with other cultures, i.e. merchants, but they are certainly defendable for Arabia.

In short, I am curious on the direction they will take them on. I expect a boring Expansionist + Madrasse + Camel Archer though.

I expect them to be a very well rounded scientist culture that can also go conquer It's neighboors, like the Greeks on classical.

Okay, so here is my ultimate list of expected civs and their focuses. I won't change it anymore, unless something is denied. Let's see how correctly could I predict.

I'm afraid I'll be stealing most of your format because we agree on many cultures (hope you don't mind), for me it seems Japan and Korea in modern would take similar niches, I have this hunch that "Japan" will be modeled after Meiji Japan on industrial, same treatment Germany, and France are getting.

I'm really having a hard time not adding the Incas, even if there's not a full andean tree, they should be in vanilla. If they are on medieval with the Aztecs, Mali could be switched to Songhai on early m. I would love to see any latin american that isn't Brazil but I guess that's expansion material. Finally I think Turkey should be in on modern.

So yeah, almost the same but not quite, I'm setting on this order as well...I better save the bookmark to compare :)

Medieval
Spoiler :

Arabs
Aztecs
Byzantium
England
Franks
Khmer
Mali *
Mongols
Vikings
Teutons

Early modern
Spoiler :

Dutch
Joseon
Inca*
Ming
Mughals
Ottomans
Poland
Spanish
Tokugawa
Venice

Industrial
Spoiler :

British
French
Germany
Haudenosaunee
Iran
Japan
Russians
Siam
Swedish
Zulu

Modern
Spoiler :

America
Brazil
Canada*
China
Ethiopia
India
Italy
Korea
Soviets
Turkey

edit:
forgot to move Germany to industrial (sorry Austria), I'll add a second anglo, because I think It's more likely to get that rather than another latin american. (even tho I'd love to see Mexico in)

Last edited:
Okay, I will exercise my mind as I try to predict which cultures will be in the game. And since I'm a little bored of not having information about new content in civilization, I will keep my eyes here. I made this list in a hurry, so I may have forgotten a strong name.

Medieval:
Spoiler :
Anglo-Saxons/England
Arabs
Aztecs
Byzantium
Franks
Khmer
Mali
Mongols
Vikings
Teutons

Expansion material: Bulgaria, Moche, Magyar/Hungary, Visigoths and Majapahit.

Early modern:
Spoiler :
Ottomans
Spanish
Inca
Dutch
Burma
Joseon
Ming
Mughals
Tokugawa
Poland

Expansion material: Portugal, Kongo and Venice.

Industrial:
Spoiler :
British
French
Qing
Iroquois
Russians
Austria
Siam
Merina/Madagascar
Swedish
Japan

Expansion material: Ashanti, Zulu and Colombia.

Modern:
Spoiler :
America
Soviets
China
Germany
India
Brazil
Italy
Ethiopia
Turkey
Korea

Expansion material: Indonesia, Mexico or Argentina and Nigeria or South Africa.

Last edited:
If they end up giving camel cavalry to Mali, I’m not going to be happy. Camel cavalry was utilised mainly in the Middle East, not Africa. The Mali did not use camels in their military forces; they used horses. There’s an entire Wikipedia article on the military history of the Mali Empire, with no mention of camel cavalry.

If there is a need to include camels as a military unit in the game, give it to Arabia, who actually used them in their conquests.

The Mali Empire used camels to transport people and goods, not in warfare. They should have the Mandekalu horsemen or Sofa as their EU.

Last edited:
Industrial
Spoiler :

British
French
Germany
Haudenosaunee
Iran
Japan
Russians
Siam
Swedish
Zulu

I doubt Iroquois would be Industrial, we dont know yet how much cover Early Modern, Industrial and Contemporary, but I feel Industrial would start at some point of 19th century. Put Incas or especially Aztecs feel forced on Early Modern, but they at least manage to scratch Early Modern.

Sioux and Apaches are a better NA native option for Industrial Era.

If they end up giving camel cavalry to Mali, I’m not going to be happy. Camel cavalry was utilised mainly in the Middle East, not Africa. The Mali did not use camels in their military forces; they used horses. There’s an entire Wikipedia article on the military history of the Mali Empire, with no mention of camel cavalry.

If there is a need to include camels as a military unit in the game, give it to Arabia, who actually used them in their conquests.

The Mali Empire used camels to transport people and goods, not in warfare. They should have the Mandekalu horsemen or Sofa as their EU.
Agree. One unit I would like to see are is an Early Modern or Industrial Tuareg camel cavalry.
And who do you think would get the Zamburak?
- Early Modern Iran
- Industrial Afghanistan

Personally I want it for Industrial Afghanistan.

I think industrial era islamic representation is either Iran or Afghans. Both of them would be unorthodox for such game so it's basically about trusting devs to not make more than half civs in this era culturally European, and rest is focus. Late Iran would be most probably aestethe, while Afghans militarist. I'd just bet on Iran more because of hope Persian civ is getting some successor, as Humankind seemingly likes to add civs that way.

As for Iroquis, I just vaguely recall somebody pointing at "Iroquis musketman" combat unit somewhere. They are among few best known and most iconic native American cultures, one of more accomplished, and have more gameplay niches than "militarist because of resistance", such as for example merchant focus, or their unique government, or diplomatic achievements etc. They were also agricultural and have more ideas for quarters than "tent".

Even without that spotted unit I'd point at Iroquis as the most probable NatAm civ. Other tribal groups are either less known, less succesfull, or would force more restricting design (for example being nomadic militarists).

Regarding modern era, I think both Korea and Turkey have very big chances here. I have chosen Korea because it's probable Joseon is getting a successor civ, and South Korea is incredibly succesfull civilization over last 50-60 years (and in the period 1900 - 1960 a ton of other major things happened around Korea ;))
Turkey would be major Islamic successor, but I just couldn't fit it in modern era with my setup, unless I have ejected Iran. Having to choose between successor to classical Persia and early modern Ottomans I chose much older civ. Turkish people would be perfectly fine with playing Ottoman Empire glorious - and - never - collapsing - until - 2020 anyway :p

Besides, the only "obvious" focus for Turkish Republic I can think of is militarist, and that carries a ton of uncomfortable political issues
Though adding 20th century Iran would be even worse. No matter if it were inspired by monarchist, theocratic or God forbid (lol) republican take, it is going to anger equal number od people. Seriously, the only more risky modern civs would be Israel or Yugoslavia.

Last edited:

Any chance we might get a Berber culture as opposed to either Mali or Songhai? (ot that the camel is rather a cavalry skin?)

I doubt Iroquois would be Industrial, we dont know yet how much cover Early Modern, Industrial and Contemporary, but I feel Industrial would start at some point of 19th century. Put Incas or especially Aztecs feel forced on Early Modern, but they at least manage to scratch Early Modern.

Sioux and Apaches are a better NA native option for Industrial Era.

The other place to have them would be on early M. but that would kick the Incas out. They were relevant during the whole colonization era and were central during the French and Indian wars, I think they fit quite well on industrial. To me the era is also about clash of cultures between imperialist powers vs local resistance, Zulu, Siam, Haudenosaunee and even Iran/Afghanistan fits in here.

I think industrial era islamic representation is either Iran or Afghans. Both of them would be unorthodox for such game so it's basically about trusting devs to not make more than half civs in this era culturally European, and rest is focus. Late Iran would be most probably aestethe, while Afghans militarist. I'd just bet on Iran more because of hope Persian civ is getting some successor, as Humankind seemingly likes to add civs that way.

As for Iroquis, I just vaguely recall somebody pointing at "Iroquis musketman" combat unit somewhere. They are among few best known and most iconic native American cultures, one of more accomplished, and have more gameplay niches than "militarist because of resistance", such as for example merchant focus, or their unique government, or diplomatic achievements etc. They were also agricultural and have more ideas for quarters than "tent".

Even without that spotted unit I'd point at Iroquis as the most probable NatAm civ. Other tribal groups are either less known, less succesfull, or would force more restricting design (for example being nomadic militarists).

Haudenosaunee are the better fit for vanilla anyway, I'd love to see Sioux or Comanche added later, but maybe once we have actual nomad mechanics in place. (tho we still have to see how the nomad mechanics even work)

Regarding modern era, I think both Korea and Turkey have very big chances here. I have chosen Korea because it's probable Joseon is getting a successor civ, and South Korea is incredibly succesfull civilization over last 50-60 years (and in the period 1900 - 1960 a ton of other major things happened around Korea ;))
Turkey would be major Islamic successor, but I just couldn't fit it in modern era with my setup, unless I have ejected Iran. Having to choose between successor to classical Persia and early modern Ottomans I chose much older civ. Turkish people would be perfectly fine with playing Ottoman Empire glorious - and - never - collapsing - until - 2020 anyway :p

Besides, the only "obvious" focus for Turkish Republic I can think of is militarist, and that carries a ton of uncomfortable political issues
Though adding 20th century Iran would be even worse. No matter if it were inspired by monarchist, theocratic or God forbid (lol) republican take, it is going to anger equal number od people. Seriously, the only more risky modern civs would be Israel or Yugoslavia.

Yeah I think Amplitude knows whatever focus they choose for modern cultures It's going to ruffle feathers. If they model Turkey after this idea of no longer expanding beyond It's cultural core, they could be...Aestethe maybe? or perhpahs they'll go agrarian and call it a day.
That's honestly why I don't bother trying to guess the focus, we know too little about them to even be able to guess right most of the time.

Any chance we might get a Berber culture as opposed to either Mali or Songhai? (ot that the camel is rather a cavalry skin?)
You know looking into it, I can't find much evidence that the Berbers used them either, although this is still much more likely due to the Arabisation that took place during the Middle Ages.

For the most part, I can only find evidence that camel archers and cavalry were employed by Middle Eastern empires, at least in pre-modern times, beginning with the ancient Arabs and Persians. They also seemed to have limited use in India, with the Mughal Empire adopting the camel-mounted zamburak into their artillery-focused armies.

Reactions: j51
All ya'll putting Aztecs and Inca in different eras ain't makin' no sense! (Even if that ends up happening, which... :sad:)

Middle
Spoiler :
Arabian/Abbassid/etc.
Aztec
Frankish/Capetian
Ghanese/Malinese
Inca
Khmer
Mongolian
Teutonic
Viking/Norse
* English, or Byzantine (Could really go either way, or something else. I only feel certain about the previous nine.)

Early Modern
Spoiler :
Dutch
Haudenosaunee/Iroquois
Joseon
Ming
Mughal
Polish(-Lithuanian)
Ottoman
Spanish
Tokugawa
Venetian

Industrial (We know so little about the last two eras that this and the next list are very tentative.)
Spoiler :
Austrian
British (English?)
Ethiopian
French
Russian
Siamese/Thai
Sioux
Swedish
Zulu (Honestly though, they're such a part of the Civ series' brand, they should pass them up for someone else.)
* Durani/Afghani, or Ashante (Both instead of the Zulu if we're lucky.)

Contemporary
Spoiler :
American
Australian
Brazilian
Canadian
Chinese
German
Italian
Japanese
Soviet
* Saudi, or South African, or Korean, or Iranian, or Vietnamese, or who knows?

Last edited:
For everyone saying Canada in the Contemporary Era, what would be there class? Aesthete for multiculturalism? Agraian in the similar vein of Civ 6's "Last Best West"? I can't think any of the other classes would fit at all.

All ya'll putting Aztecs and Inca in different eras ain't makin' no sense! (Even if that ends up happening, which... :sad:)

well that's why I'm also considering Songhai in early modern and Incas on medieval as a possibility. Tho if you consider the Incas until the neo Incan empire you could maybe stretch them to early modern?

I agree with you tho, I'm just giving Mali priority over Songhai, Incas and Aztecs should be on the same era if possible.

Again, I think a roster aimed at history enthusiasts would look very different to one meant for a general audience.
"History Enthusiasts" versus "general audience" is indeed a balancing act that has some impact on the choice of cultures (though it is not the only factor.)

old graphics for the Mycenaean EQ or City Center is my best guess for that architecture. Not that would make sense in that surrounding.
I can at least tell you that this is not a replacement for the Mycenean City Center. Both are present in the same city in the Shaping Your Legacy Feature Focus

scientist - algebra is literally a arabic term;
I remember learning about Al-Khwarizmi and his Al-Jabr in university. I had been vaguely aware of the Arabic roots of the term before, but seeing the actual algorithms he described gave me a much better impression and appreciation of their scientific efforts than that vague "Algebra comes from Arabia" we got in high school.

Agree. One unit I would like to see are is an Early Modern or Industrial Tuareg camel cavalry.

And who do you think would get the Zamburak?
- Early Modern Iran
- Industrial Afghanistan

Personally I want it for Industrial Afghanistan.

Maybe Morocco for Industrial Era. They share history with France in the XIX and the beginning of the XX century.

". . . I remember learning about Al-Khwarizmi and his Al-Jabr in university. I had been vaguely aware of the Arabic roots of the term before, but seeing the actual algorithms he described gave me a much better impression and appreciation of their scientific efforts than that vague "Algebra comes from Arabia" we got in high school.

But just to take it back another step, while the European West got 'Algebra' from the Islamic World, the Hindu mathematician (and astronomer, they went together at the time) Aryabhatta in the 6th century CE wrote a treatise in which he covered algebraic quadratic equations, plane and spherical trigonometry, sines, and calculated (accurately!) the diameter of the earth and length of the sidereal year. And just under a century later, Brahmaguptra in the Siddhanta described place notation and the zero and explained derivations from algebraic equations.
Muhammed ibn Musa al-Khwarizmi was building on a long Hindu tradition of mathematical knowledge. His "Book of Calculation by Completion and Balancing" was the first to show clearly how to solve both linear and quadratic equations, so it deservedly got him the title "Father of Algebra", but he wasn't really pioneering the mathematical concepts involved.

Oh, and as an aside, "Indian Numerals" with the Zero and place notation weren't original to India. They have been tracked back to Cambodia a century or so before they show up in any Indian writings, and the Mayan glyphs show what appears to be "zero' notation over 500 years earlier!

Agree aboout the proper option to have Aztec and Incas on Medieval Era. Centainly Aztecs and/or Incas being Early Modern and/or on different eras is not the best option.
But there are some reasons why could make sense:
- They shared mostly the same time range, but they didnt have direct contact, so there are no interaction to simulate between them.
- Spaniards conquered both with few years of difference, but the game could simulate that with a player that change to Incas from X previous culture and other that keep Aztec from medieval.
- Technology is not linear, there are some elements where Aztec was ahead of Incas and vice versa, but Incas was more a true organized empire while Aztec was a alliance of bully city-states, Incas used metal weapons in a higher degree, and most importantly Incas resisted way more than Aztecs including Neo-Inca state and Túpac Amaru II revolt.
- Have either Incas and/or Aztecs as Early Modern cultures open place to longest Andean and Mesoamerican lines
Chavin(Agrarian)>Moche(Militaristic)>Tiwanaku(Builder)>Inca(Expansionist)>Peruvian(Aesthete)
Olmec(Aesthete)>Mayan(Builder)>Zapotec(Militaristic)>Aztec(Agrarian)>Mexican(Aesthete)

I would love to see a robust group of cultures from the same region at the same time like Mixtec, Purepecha and Aztec on the same era. But how many cultures could Humankind have at their final version?
Said for example cover lines for the next regions: 1-Southern Europe, 2-Western Europe, 3-Central Europe, 4-Eastern Europe, 5-Northern Europe, 6-Anatoli+Caucasus, 7-Levant, 8-North Africa, 9-Horn of Africa, 10- West Africa, 11-East Africa, 12-South Africa, 13-Persia, 14-Central Asia, 15-India, 16-South East Asia, 17-China, 18-East Asia(not China), 19-North America, 20- Mesoamerica, 21- Andes, 22-South America, 23-Oceania, etc.

I think that if we gonna have "CELTS" and not Gauls, is because devs dont have plans to add Britons, Gaels or Picts later. Same with Persians. If Medieval Mali then probably Songhai would be Early Modern. Have Ghana, Mali, Kanem and Songhai at the same time could be awesome but I see it unlikely.
Probably the only exception to one or a couple or representative by era would be Europe since Classical, West Asia on Ancient, and East Asia from Medieval-Early Modern? to Industrial-Contemporary? Because obvious reasons.

America would probably get an Mesoamerican, North American, Andean and maybe with some luck a Rest of South America line at the end of the cycle.
NOTE: By line I mean as it could be possible. For example is hard to see an ancient north american culture. For sure their slot could be used for Sumerians or anyther well know culture.

Last edited:
If you have Mexico and (Gran) Columbia as Industrial era cultures, you have a thorough line from Ancient to Modern where you transcend twice (in Early Modern and Modern). I feel like transcending needs to be taken into account while building these chains. For this reason, I feel like both belong to the medieval era. But that is my opinion and even that we have that discussion here shows that it is debatable and you really can put both of them in both eras.

I wouldn't think in lines either as they can cross and split and so on. And in the end, gameplay is what matters so it may get increasingly difficult to differentiate say Mali from Ghana, Kanem and Songhai to take your example. The 23 lines above means up to 138 cultures. I don't see the gameplay value even if you can find as many cultures. I rather guess having the whole roster and experience in gameplay will show where you can add a few more cultures. But I don't think they will strife to include "all" of history in the "correct" way.

I remember learning about Al-Khwarizmi and his Al-Jabr in university. I had been vaguely aware of the Arabic roots of the term before, but seeing the actual algorithms he described gave me a much better impression and appreciation of their scientific efforts than that vague "Algebra comes from Arabia" we got in high school.

And yeah, I was shortening horribly when linking Arabs to Algebra. I must confess, I didn't know more than the "highschool abbreviation" myself :) But this isn't a scientific forum either, so I felt okay doing that :)

For everyone saying Canada in the Contemporary Era, what would be there class? Aesthete for multiculturalism? Agrarian in the similar vein of Civ 6's "Last Best West"? I can't think any of the other classes would fit at all.

Agrarian may certainly work. I can see also room for other traits than the seven we have known so far (that map onto the avenues to gain the stars). There could be some that combine two of the avenues or an all-rounder trait. Multiculturalism could be a trait on its own. Or bureaucratic (not for Canada), but diplomatic may be a good fit for Canada - whatever it may do. Of the existing I can see builder (= extracting resources), expansionist (= settling the great unknown north), merchant (= quite high BIP) and you already mentioned agrarian and aesthete.

Again, if you want to, you can make a case for nearly anything anywhere. :)

Last edited:
List of 23 different uninterrupted chains of cultures
As mitsho said, let's not get ahead of ourselves. That's a lot of different cultures, and it would pretty much push the number of combinations off the charts. (23 cultures per era, taking Transcendence into account, leads to 183,140,352 possible combinations...

And yeah, I was shortening horribly when linking Arabs to Algebra. I must confess, I didn't know more than the "highschool abbreviation" myself :) But this isn't a scientific forum either, so I felt okay doing that :)
Let's be fair: That well runs very deep (As Boris points out), and you could probably fill several university courses and still only scratch the surface.

@Catoninetales_Amplitude

What is going to be the reasoning of AI players behind changing cultures with eras or remaining with old ones? Is this purely opportunistic, or "builders tend to switch to builders", or: does AI have a increased probability to switch to a culture that was IRL descendant of its previous one?

An example. The AI player is Mycenae, fighting n doing militarist stuff. Then he gets access to a very rich coast. Now it can
a) Remain on the militarist patch, adopting some classical era militarist culture or remaining its old one
b) Capitalize on the rich coast by adopting Carthage
c) Become Greece because it's historical and therefore cool

What outcome is the most probable and most expected from AI civs when transitioning between eras?
How often are AIs changing civs with every new era?

PS
Could you tell me please, what is the official nomenclature for "adopt new civ in new era" and "remain old civ in new era", as I always keep forgetting :p

Top Bottom