Votes: 6 8.7%
  • Phoenicians

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • Zhou

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Random

Votes: 10 14.5%

• Total voters
Alexander is an ideal example of what the Fame victory is about: His empire may have fallen apart quickly after his death, but his conquests are still remembered to this day, leaving his mark on history. Framed in gameplay, the player would have accrued a lot of fame for expansion and battles, perhaps a bit for spreading hellenic culture, and that fame won't go away just because the player loses their territory afterwards. They stand a good chance of leaving their mark on history, but somebody else might yet become more famous.

Ok new classical prediction, fixed it by taking into account the devs mentioning Chinese cultures and the Celts....also, I think Rome could go either militaristic or builder if they push them as good infraestructure builders.

1. Aksum - Merchant
2. Carthage - Merchant

3. Celts - Agrarian
4. Greece - Expansionist or Scientific
5. Maurya - Aestethe
6. Mayan - Scientific
7. Rome - Builder or militaristic
8. Persia - Expansionist
9. Suebi - Militaristic
10. Xiongnu/Huns Militaristic

Ok new classical prediction, fixed it by taking into account the devs mentioning Chinese cultures and the Celts....also, I think Rome could go either militaristic or builder if they push them as good infraestructure builders.

1. Aksum - Merchant
2. Carthage - Merchant

3. Celts - Agrarian
4. Greece - Expansionist or Scientific
5. Maurya - Aestethe
6. Mayan - Scientific
7. Rome - Builder or militaristic
8. Persia - Expansionist
9. Suebi - Militaristic
10. Xiongnu/Huns Militaristic
Do we know for sure if China isn't going to be represented in this era?
If that's the case I could possibly see Macedon being in as Militaristic or Aesthete, solely because of the post above you. :mischief:
I think Numidia might make it in as well, as what we thought was Libya.

The Huns I believe will be a minor faction based on the Hunnic Horde and I think they would go with a more recognizable Germanic tribe name, like the Goths, if they went with one.

Do we know for sure if China isn't going to be represented in this era?
If that's the case I could possibly see Macedon being in as Militaristic or Aesthete, solely because of the post above you. :mischief:
I think Numidia might make it in as well, as what we thought was Libya.

The Huns I believe will be a minor faction based on the Hunnic Horde and I think they would go with a more recognizable Germanic tribe name, like the Goths, if they went with one.

Honestly I was tempted, it could represent the Hellenic period so nicely, I put Huns solely because we still don't know anything for sure about minor factions, seemed like a safer bet to include a steppe culture to cover that area of the world. And yes, Goths could work just as well, I think I kinda see them with one feet on the classical world and another on the medieval one...
...and now that I read that again, that kinda makes the Goths a better candidate (they could just as well fight Rome on classical and hold on to face Byzantium, Arabs and Vikings on medieval)...well ...lol

I guess I could always tweak it..that's the fun of the specualtion, new Classical list:

1. Aksum - Merchant
  2. Carthage - Merchant
  3. Celts - Agrarian
  4. Goths - Militaristic
  5. Greece - Scientific
  6. Macedon - Expansionist
  7. Maurya - Aestethe
  8. Mayan - Scientific
  9. Rome - Builder or militaristic
  10. Persia - Expansionist
Taking in account feedback..and that there's a strong possibility nomad cultures are vanilla barbarians Huns are gone...Goths replaced with a more impactful germanic culture, Macedon added as expansionistic and Greece set as solely scientific.

Yes, I can‘t see Suebi either, Goths maybe, but then they fit better with the medieval era, no? In any case, classic and feudal could both easily be split into two eras each as they span such a large timespan. Then you can have Persia AND Parthia, and you don‘t have to have the late antiquity Huns with Carthage.

As for the list above, I would replace Suebi with either Macedon or any other of the Diadoch Kingdoms (Ptolemaic Egypt? Seleucids?) OR some non-chinese Asian civ, an early Korea or Chola or I don‘t know. Xiong-Nu instead of Huns sounds good for exactly that reason, geographical balance.

Yes, I can‘t see Suebi either, Goths maybe, but then they fit better with the medieval era, no? In any case, classic and feudal could both easily be split into two eras each as they span such a large timespan. Then you can have Persia AND Parthia, and you don‘t have to have the late antiquity Huns with Carthage.

As for the list above, I would replace Suebi with either Macedon or any other of the Diadoch Kingdoms (Ptolemaic Egypt? Seleucids?) OR some non-chinese Asian civ, an early Korea or Chola or I don‘t know. Xiong-Nu instead of Huns sounds good for exactly that reason, geographical balance.

yeah took down Suebi

The Goths were around kicking Rome's butt in classical, and carried all the way into medieval, for example Visigothic Spain. I agree in that it gets tricky to speculate (and fun) about were certain cultures should be slotted, don't forget tho that you can hold on to your culture in new eras, it might not be so uncommon to see something like Byzantium, Franks, Goths on the medieval Era. So cultures with one foot in one era and another in the next historically might be good candidates for humankind.

I'm...not inlcuding Nomadic cultures on my speculation until they add one, for all we know nomads will not be a part of vanilla and be inlcuded as part of a "horde mechanic", if you think about it they make a very clear distinction between starting the game nomadic and starting the bronze age by settling down and choosing a particular strategy, if nomad cultures where a thing in game they would probably have mentioned something along the lines of: "on bronze age you choose to continue as nomad or go sedentary", I'm leaning more into the idea that nomad cultures will be DLC or xpack material...maybe I'll start a thread on this seems like an interesting discussion.

Goths are one of those 'tricky' groups that straddle the conventional Eras. Pliny the Elder mentions them in the first century CE as being somewhere off on the Baltic coast, by the early 3rd century they are identified along the Danube in eastern Europe, and the last Gothic Kingdom, in Spain, was conquered by the Islamic tide in the 8th century CE - so early in the 'Medieval' Era. BUT recent scholarship suggests that the Gothic Kingdoms in both Italy and Spain used Roman administrative and legal structures, so you can make a good case that they were Classical Holdovers and not really Medieval at all.

The question s that I have is how to depict them. They were nomadic, but as said, it doesn't look like 'nomadic' is going to be a Faction Type after the Neolithic Nomadic Start (drat!). I suppose they could be Expansionist: to my mind they just don't fit as Builders or Agrarians, Merchants/Mercantile or Aesthetes as well as other Classical groups like the Romans, Persians, Carthaginians or Han Chinese.

They come early in the alphabet, so hopefully we'll know for sure Real Soon Now.

Goths would be classical to me but it depends what civs they use for medieval will it be earlier stuff like say Anglo-Saxons or later medieval England?

I have this hunch that at least in Europe it will be early medieval cultures that get in, I can't imagine them not using the Franks to fill Europe and instead go for multiple medieval cultures...there's only 10 spots and they've got the world to cover.

I have this hunch that at least in Europe it will be early medieval cultures that get in, I can't imagine them not using the Franks to fill Europe and instead go for multiple medieval cultures...there's only 10 spots and they've got the world to cover.

That's a good idea. Franks can be seen as a predecessor to a lot of European civs. Not too sure what their emblematics or type would be though.

As German, I can tell you the Suebi are very recognizable to us.... or rather, the area (and dialct) whose name descend from theirs, Swabia. :p
Bitte gib mir ALLES die deutsche Kulturen!

Moderator Action: Please provide an English translation. leif

EDIT: Sorry Leif, the translation is "Please give me ALL the German cultures"

Last edited:
Schaffe, schaffe, häusle baue?

So they would be industrious, I see ;-).

And speaking almost unintelligible German. When I was in Berlin and West Germany in the 1960s and 1970s, "Schwäbische Deutsch" meant an accent so bad you couldn't understand what they were saying. That was particularly ironic because the rest of (West) Germany at the time also thought he Berliners spoke wierd German: "Prüssische Deutsch".

In late Roman times, I believe it was one of the Suebi tribes that, before battle, painted their bodies black from head to foot down one side only - a striking graphic effect for a Classical Era spearman or swordsman.

And speaking almost unintelligible German. When I was in Berlin and West Germany in the 1960s and 1970s, "Schwäbische Deutsch" meant an accent so bad you couldn't understand what they were saying. That was particularly ironic because the rest of (West) Germany at the time also thought he Berliners spoke wierd German: "Prüssische Deutsch".

Trust me, that reputation is still alive and kicking, for Swäbisch and the Berlin dialect, but Bavarian as well.

Trust me, that reputation is still alive and kicking, for Swäbisch and the Berlin dialect, but Bavarian as well.

Hah! Don't get me started - My last 'tour' in Germany I was stationed in Aschaffenburg for four years, just over the border in Bavaria, and discovered that most of the German I had learned (in school, Berlin and Wiesbaden on previous assignments) was almost worthless except to identify me as "not from around here".

Top Bottom