Custom Rules and Player Information?

DaveShack

Inventor
Retired Moderator
We rejected a custom map and playing with a mod. One other change from "vanilla" we could try is to use the editor to create custom rules or player information. Are there any suggestions for changes of this type?

No, I was thinking more about, do we want to customize the game to allow more rivals than normal (can you even do that in Vanilla), change optimum city number, change naval movement, etc.

That would mean modding the game rules to adjust the civ spacing, too - thus, a mod.

Well, technically wouldn't it be a scenario vs. a mod? I think of scenarios as single bic / bix files which define rules, map, etc. for a game, where a mod includes other stuff like replacement units, buildings, pediaicons.txt, etc.

How bout more naval movement? It takes forever for navies to get anywhere these days.

Although it would be a mod, upping the number of rivals would ensure for a game where we would always have another civ within reach of us and i think it would keep the game interesting all the way through.

As for changing the optimum city number, I think this changes too much of the game's innate rules. The game was designed to have the optimum city number set as it is to prevent HUGE unmanagable nations. Of course if we had provincial governors for each area, managing wouldn't be too bad...

IF we could then I would consider that to be fun , and a ton of civs would be interesting ,since wouldn't we be in a constant state of war ?

Well, with the game options that were voted in we could be playing on a large map filled with small islands covered by mountains and tundra. Besides the raging barbs, who many opponents did you want to play with?

I don't like how much pro-war talk is going on. We missed having aggression made illegal by about one vote, yet now it seems certain we'll be going for domination again. :(

I don't like the more rivals idea. Like the custom map idea, it raises the question of who actually makes the rivals.

There is still a strong contingent for victory by noble means, Epimethius, and we will not be silenced. I will stand by your side in your call for honor and integrity in this game. :)

I don't want us to go for domination either, but think how much more interesting the game will get with more civs!

- Resources is divided among even more civs, we will have to trade a lot.
- We must make good alliances and protect the trade routes.
- Foreign Affairs would get much more interesting, just think of trying to hold peace in a world with 30 opponents.
- Maybe we will take over some civs. But that wouldn't matter much, cause there are still plenty left.

I'm currently playing a "moded" single player game with huge world, pangea, 70% water, 31 civs and everyone have all the techs. It is extremely fun, as I now have to fight and trade for the few resources there are! :D

Point is: The more, the merrier! :)

Well, as we are playing with vanilla C3, having more than 16 civs is a mod, as you have to add the leader graphics and such. Playing 16 will be the likely limit.

However, modifying the naval movement and bombardment is realy a good idea. Especially for the late ships (yea, an AEGIS frigate goes only 1.6 time faster than a galley, sure...).

Top Bottom