CVN1 - Not So Corrupted Romans

And the turns have been played. Pretty uneventful.

4000 BC (1) --

Rome founded on our start location. Research set on max towards Pottery. Worker moves to irrigate and road the plains Wine.

3950 BC (2) --

Worker begins irrigation.

3900 BC (3) --

ZZ

3850 BC (4) --

ZZ

3800 BC (5) --

ZZ

3750 BC (6) --

Finally, something happens to record! Our Warrior completes. He heads towards the NW Mountain to scout our territory. The Worker also completes irrigation and starts a road.

3700 BC (7) --

Our Warrior tops the Mountain and sees lots more Grassland, another River and some Plains and Forest. Looks like an idyllic start.

3650 BC (8) --

More Mountains are spotted beyond the new River.

3600 BC (9) --

Warrior spots a Cow. Yes, I consider that noteworthy. No, nothing really happened. No mad cow disease. The Worker completes a Road and moves towards the nearest BG.

3550 BC (10) --

Warrior scales a new mountain range and spots our first Desert, complete with an Oasis, just to the south.

3500 BC (11) --

Rome grows and its borders expand. Since we already have a Lux, we don't need Lux tax. [party]

Our second Warrior completes. Rome starts a Settler as a Granary prebuild. The new Warrior (Warrior2) heads onto the northeastern Mountain.

The border expansion reveals that Rome is located on a short, blunt peninsula.

3450 BC (12) --

Warrior1 discovers an opposite shore very close by. We may be on a long peninsula.

Our Worker starts a Mine.

3400 BC (13) --

Warrior1 moves south along the far coast while Warrior2, careful to dodge the goody hut, moves north along the near coast.

3350 BC (14) --

Pottery comes in and we start on Bronze Working at max. Hopefully we can get some good trades and some early Iron. Rome switches to a Granary, complete in 17 turns.

Warriors explore.

3300 BC (15) --

ZZ

3250 BC (16) --

ZZ

3200 BC (17) --

A Hittite Scout appears out of the fog to the south. I guess we'll be expanding in that direction, though both directions seem to be very fertile.

Mursilis is short Warrior Code but has Bronze Working and won't trade. Research time on Bronze Working drops.

Warrior1 finds Spices near the Hittite Scout. We expand south first.

Worker completes Mine, starts Road. MMing gets Granary in 11, Bronze Working in 16.

3150 BC (18) --

Warrior2 seems to have reached the northern end of our peninsula.

3100 BC (19) --

ZZ

3050 BC (20) --

The Hittites now have Spices connected. A Hittite Warrior appears in the South.

Worker completes Road, Bronze Working due in 11. It moves to the next BG.

Notes: Warrior2 is still active in the north.

Because both the north and south seem fertile, but the Hittites and Spices lie to the south, primary expansion should focus on the south. That's really it for now. I'll have the save and a screenshot shortly.

Go Forth And... Be Not Corrupt!

And still waiting, very patiently, for a mod the change the title.

Two or three questions to think about:

1. What kind of build do we want? I tend now adays to favour a fairly tight build 3-4 spacing, with the occasional tighter city. I'll grab the save and see what I can do for dotmapping a bit later tonight.

2. How do we want to win. This really affects our build. If we want culture then it will have to be tighter and space needs our core to be looser (IMO).

3. How aggressive do we wnat to be. I think popping out another warrior or two and running a blockade just south of the mountains might be a good idea... It would give us a fair shot at the whole Northern area.

Critique (I hope you don't mind, but I prefer my moves to be scrutinized and critiqued, and thus return the favour):

1. Why is our worker in the North? It should either be in the East working on the wine (mine or irrigate... I think irrigate, as we may be able to get +5 food, but I'll have to take a closer look). Or to the South roading to our next settlement. And ouch, if were to mine a grassland, why not the one next to the river?

2. Arguably Rome should have been settled one to the North-West, but that is mostly a personal preference.

/End Critique and Questions.

Turn order? Is it a flexible first round and then fixed? If not, would you mind posting the Turn order? And is it ten or twenty for player #2?

It is also much better to post the saves as zip files, less chance of corruption.

Ok, here is my tentative dotmap. Not particularily brilliant, but useful as a guideline. Some of the map will depend on what is in the fog, but I think dots 1-2-3 are pretty safe. Two should go on the river unless it goes one slot further SE.

Order of priority IMO is Red, Blue, Green, Peach with the Western part of the peninsula going into the green and peach. The purple is an optional placement that I'm not sure of. Jungle is showing to the south, so pushing into it may or may not be a good idea. The mountains seem like a good starting border.

South:

North:

Ok, having done that, I'll make one last comment about the starting location and then I'll leave it alone. It was built on a wine. That is a three food tile after irrigation in despotism. 2 (grass) + 1 (wine) + 1 (irrigation) - 1 (despotism). Bad juju. Two of our wines are on a hill, so we it's impossible to make +5 fpt (I think), but extra food is never bad. Also, with the placement three coastal tiles are in play but will remain weak. In any case I have had my bit to say about that, I hope you do not mind the critique, and feel free to reciprocate, in this game or anywhere else you see me play.

I agree with you on most of the points -- I was tired while playing the early turns and made a lot of little mistakes. All of your points are valid ones, though some are very minor.

In any case:

~ Cuivienen (just played)
~ andvruss (Up!)
~ SensOfWthr (on deck)
~ Kabuki
~ microbe (out for now)

Is this thread still alive? Seems like we didn't get very far before we stalled. Just wondering, so let me know.

I was just about to bump this again, too. Hopefully andvruss will have his turns soon and we can get moving.

3050: pop hut and get barbs

IBT: Warrior dies to barb

3000: Luxes to 10% as Rome grows

2950: zz

2900:zz

2850:zz

2800:zz

IBT: Rome granary-settler

2750: zz

2700: zz

2670:zz

2630: zz

Sorry it took this long to play these trns. I was beseiged with problems this week :(

BW is due in 2 at +0gpt
Rome is due to complete settler in 3, and growth in 2. Mine done next turn.

Save

OK, I got it.

Should be able to play/post by Sunday afternoon.

So here goes nothing:

2590 bc – (1) – send worker to start road to next city site. Warrior explores. Drop sci to 50% to grab extra gold piece.

IBT – Hittites pop hut south of our borders.

2550 bc – (2) – Get BW, switch to CB in 13 at 70% (+0). Warrior sees settler pair going to found fourth city for Hittites. Change citizen to scientist to avoid disorder.

IBT – settler -> settler. Don’t see any indication of barb level, so this is just kinda winging it.

2510 bc – (3) – worker roading, not much else.

2470 bc –(4) – nothing doing.

IBT – Hittites start Colossus.

2430 bc –(5) – still nothing.

2390 bc – (6) – get a little worried when I see a stack of Hittite warriors in hills near city loc. We get kicked out of Hittite territory.

IBT – warrior stack moves north.

2350 bc – (7) – Veii founded, start warrior. Worker starts road section to connect Veii.

IBT – PHEW! Stack continues north.

2310 bc – (8) – settler done next turn ….

IBT – Rome settler -> spear.

2270 bc – (9) – send settler in direction of dot #2.

2230 bc – (10 – worker towards next city location.

There it is, may want to jump to site #3 to ensure we get spices. CB in 3 at +1.

2230 bc save

Our world thus far:

[un-lurk]

Doesn't plains wine produce 2 food and 1 shield? Irrigating it would bring it to 3 food and 1 shield, then the despotism penalty would kill the extra food. Plains wine is like a river BG.

[/re-lurk]

It looks to me that the wines in on plains though. If I didn't make it clear, I meant the plains wine to the immediate west of Rome.

True, my mistake, my comment earlier in the list was regarding the wine to the E, which is on grasslands. And before looking at the save more closely the other two on the west side looked like they were on grass as well - they are on hills (which with wine are also like BG... +1 commerce).

And +1 shield once mined when we leave Despotism.

~ Cuivienen
~ andvruss
~ SensOfWthr (Just Played)
~ microbe (Up) -- switched for this round
~ Kabuki (On Deck) ^

Top Bottom