[GS] Dams/Flooding video

One thing I always wanted was a sea terrain 'shallows' or 'sandbanks' - allowing only small surface ships, traders and transports to enter for an increased move cost, but giving a small gold and food bonus as well as a significant defensive boost - that could be reclaimed at significant expense by nearby cities in the later period. (The Dutch could do it cheaper, and keep polders too.)

Now we have flooding, this seems even more attractive. Not even the most dramatic marine transgressions in history have turned farmlands into sea of a depth suitable for submarines to dive. Shallows would either start on map adjacent to coasts, or as the result of lowlying terrain being flooded. This would mean losing a tile to the ocean would be a major setback, but not an irrecoverable one if the player is willing to make the necessary sacrifice in production.

I wouldn't mind a bit more chaos in underwater geography in general, including land-adjacent ocean tiles. And then there's the real fantastical stuff like currents and trade winds, which wouldn't actually be too hard to represent as the underlying principles are fairly simple.

How about this Golf course I built in GOTM33... a couple of quite tricky greens

Dis grumbles some more about not being able to build golf courses in desert. It's not like Tiger Woods didn't have a fairly famous duel with Mickelson just recently in my city. But hey, we apparently can't have golf courses according to Firaxis. But hey, he can duel Mickelson in Antarctica just fine.

Dis grumbles some more about not being able to build golf courses in desert. It's not like Tiger Woods didn't have a fairly famous duel with Mickelson just recently in my city. But hey, we apparently can't have golf courses according to Firaxis. But hey, he can duel Mickelson in Antarctica just fine.
I still firmly believe that Golf Courses should be build able everywhere but get their culture and tourism from appeal (As golfers prefer to travel to the most attractive and picturesque golf courses around the world next to mountains or forest or by lakes or the coast). However this is going off topic...
One thing I always wanted was a sea terrain 'shallows' or 'sandbanks' - allowing only small surface ships, traders and transports to enter for an increased move cost, but giving a small gold and food bonus as well as a significant defensive boost - that could be reclaimed at significant expense by nearby cities in the later period. (The Dutch could do it cheaper, and keep polders too.)

Now we have flooding, this seems even more attractive. Not even the most dramatic marine transgressions in history have turned farmlands into sea of a depth suitable for submarines to dive. Shallows would either start on map adjacent to coasts, or as the result of lowlying terrain being flooded. This would mean losing a tile to the ocean would be a major setback, but not an irrecoverable one if the player is willing to make the necessary sacrifice in production.

I wouldn't mind a bit more chaos in underwater geography in general, including land-adjacent ocean tiles. And then there's the real fantastical stuff like currents and trade winds, which wouldn't actually be too hard to represent as the underlying principles are fairly simple.
I do agree that it's a bit silly that 1m tiles suddenly turn into water deep enough for ships to pass through despite not raising to 2m or even 1.5m yet. But for a simple and effective mechanic I'm sure they will stick with how it is presently. But it would be cool if small islands would turn into atolls rather then "flooded" tiles before vanishing completely.

Well does Scotland have a desert? :p
Or maybe they intentionally wanted people to avoid the sand traps.

man i know people like it, but the entire spy game kind of annoys me. I want better counterspy "set and forget" missions/options.
I agree. I hate the entire espionage game. I'm ready to endorse Section 31 if they'll keep spies out of my empire. :p

I think his point is that the AI will attempt it repeatedly and succeed often enough to be annoying, just like Recruit Partisans.
Exactly this. They throw so many spies at you it's just a question of when. And partisans is absurdly OP for an outcome. How much production does it take to repair a district? Not much. But recruit partisans puts up to 2,000 production of units (3 modern armor) in your territory that you need to kill. It's one of the most compelling reasons to take democracy - the extra housing means you will never ever need neighborhoods.

man i know people like it, but the entire spy game kind of annoys me. I want better counterspy "set and forget" missions/options.
I deliberately rarely use spies in my games because the UI around them is so unbelievably obnoxious. They've shown in streams that they are adding a "repeat current assignment" button. I would much rather have a 'strategic view' screen for spies so i can just move and set all their missions at once like the chess pieces they are. It's much worse than the curse of double trade routes that england had in vanilla. I mean who would want to do that much clicking before we had repeat route?!
Spy promotions taking up the turn is also extremely annoying. Especially when they counterspy- Magnus has been assassinated countless times while Agent Joe was busy at his medal ceremony.

Well does Scotland have a desert? :p
Or maybe they intentionally wanted people to avoid the sand traps.
No, but there are Golf Courses in the middle of the Dubai Desert:
Spoiler :

I do agree that it's a bit silly that 1m tiles suddenly turn into water deep enough for ships to pass through despite not raising to 2m or even 1.5m yet. But for a simple and effective mechanic I'm sure they will stick with how it is presently. But it would be cool if small islands would turn into atolls rather then "flooded" tiles before vanishing completely.

Actually, I'm pretty convinced rising sea levels turn tiles into some kind of the described "shallows" terrain. This is: flooded tiles will remain "land" in terms of movement (so no ships going trough them), but will become unusable for improvements/districts (with placed districts becoming unoperative until the flood barrier is up)

No, but there are Golf Courses in the middle of the Dubai Desert:
Spoiler :
I know there are golf courses in the desert IRL. I was suggesting possible reasons why they aren't buildable on desert in game.

Actually, I'm pretty convinced rising sea levels turn tiles into some kind of the described "shallows" terrain. This is: flooded tiles will remain "land" in terms of movement (so no ships going trough them), but will become unusable for improvements/districts (with placed districts becoming unoperative until the flood barrier is up)
Flooded remain land but unusable until reclaimed with a Seawall; submerged become Coast, as we saw in the Hungary portion of the Inca livestream.

Considering they are coastal... coastal civs having to build flood defenses is just an annoying disadvantage.
1/4 of the cost of something additional is still additional.

No. Most UDs actually benefit most for its half cost part, not their bonus part. 1/4 cost Dams will make it profitable for Britain to dam every damable city, while other Civs hardly build a dam.

We REALLY need that ability to summarily execute any spies we catch.
No, catching without killing is better as it means they can't train a replacement.

If you have multiple promotions, and presumably the "breach dam" promotion itself, it might become more worthwhile if the odds get up to 50-60%. I mean, if it does cause a flood, that could be the equivalent of pillaging 2-3 districts, so you can't have it happen too often. But I'd agree - that's a big risk to take to not even get a reward out of it yourself.
That sort of makes sense, but I would say it is more because you want the effect in that city particular and at that % you really need to be nearer a level 8 spy.
Other spy tasks, especially removing envoys has such a powerful effect on the game in comparison that playing effectively you would not normally bother.
I must say I will certainly do it for the lol's and just because you can.

Weren’t they going to buff counterspying ?
Or do I remember this wrong?

Yes in terms of counter spying promotions. We don't know the details of these promotions. This may be the only buff, however.

Weren’t they going to buff counterspying ?
Or do I remember this wrong?
The only "counter spying" thing I can remember the devs talk about was that Armani gets Victor's old promotion to make it harder for spies to complete missions in the city he/she is stationed in, so that way in a city state it's now harder to remove envoys.

Since dams can (and doubtless will) be breached or broken, will England get a UU of 'Dam Buster' bomber complete with cylindrical 'skipping' bomb?

Modders, Man Your Keyboards!

There should be a modern era great engineer called Sir Barnes Neville Wallis that allows you to destroy damns with bombers! That would be amazing.

Does anyone ever saw a Tsunami flooding a coast?
I guess they were promised in some merchandising texts and in the preview video, but in the picture I cannot see anything about them
Spoiler :

Top Bottom